• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need more air for my 05

Jimmyb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Cremona Alberta
Need to know about air boxes. I think my 05 is starving. Thought I would bring it to the experts. Any suggestions?

Jimmyb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Cremona Alberta
Does this problem only show up in the deep? or better question - what makes you think it's starving for air?
I dont think it quite has the throttle responce it should. I have a sock on the air filter and try to keep it as clean as possible in the powder. Its kind of like looking for all the little things a guy can do to get a little more. I never knew what I was missing until I put a cold air kit on my Duramax...WOW. If I could do that to my sled 2xWOW

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
I dont think it quite has the throttle responce it should. I have a sock on the air filter and try to keep it as clean as possible in the powder. Its kind of like looking for all the little things a guy can do to get a little more. I never knew what I was missing until I put a cold air kit on my Duramax...WOW. If I could do that to my sled 2xWOW

there are a few who disagree (we've had a few aguements on here. Lol) but your airbox is specially engineered to work with your sled. Its not like your truck where the more wide open the airway, the more power. That 800r should snap your neck as soon as you hit the throttle, especially with the stock airbox installed. Have you looked into the clutching issues that plagued the '07 8000r's? Have you checked your carb boots for delamination? Is your y pipe tight? Is your choke adjusted properly? Are your carbs clean? How is your compression? Has your motor had the necessary updates to the crank bearings?

Man, this list could go on for a while. There will be others like sledrocks who have more experience with your sled than me that might me a bigger help but answering those questions will be a good start

Jimmyb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Cremona Alberta
there are a few who disagree (we've had a few aguements on here. Lol) but your airbox is specially engineered to work with your sled. Its not like your truck where the more wide open the airway, the more power. That 800r should snap your neck as soon as you hit the throttle, especially with the stock airbox installed. Have you looked into the clutching issues that plagued the '07 8000r's? Have you checked your carb boots for delamination? Is your y pipe tight? Is your choke adjusted properly? Are your carbs clean? How is your compression? Has your motor had the necessary updates to the crank bearings?

Man, this list could go on for a while. There will be others like sledrocks who have more experience with your sled than me that might me a bigger help but answering those questions will be a good start

Ahh Haa Thanks for the check list
Went through clutches last year. I had a y-bolt that I found was missing at the first of the season. I replaced the gasket and put new bolts in. I have just checked the carb boots and they are great Compression is 132 per side. Is there a measurement for the choke? What is the measurement for the oil cable supposed to be? I run Amsoil. Could I be getting a little too much oil. I run 91 octane fuel all the time also
What are the crank bearing updates?
Thanks again for all the help

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
i thought it was an 05? not an 07? most people will say the timbersled intake is a bad idea... back in the old days they worked good until they got a little smarter and learned cold air vs hot air is very important. your stock air box is in no way restrictive, its just a passage way for the air and it turns out about 100 times colder than the timbersled intake does. you can gut your stock boxes, that's what i did. there is some funny tube deal in it and i think its for noise suppression, i didn't feel a loss in power when i took it out, not really a gain either tho.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I ran Timbersled w/ twin pipes on my '04 Rev. Worked great. No more snow bogging. Wasn't quite as snappy off the bottom, but the benefits out weight negatives. The twins also worked much better w/ the timbersled vs air box.

Jimmyb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Cremona Alberta
Yep 05 but that's OK I have done some more research and never realised the cold air factor. I have taped off my holes ont he bottom of the box, to reduce belt dust and bring more cold air in. I also see that an 07 air box has a little bigger opening? I have also looked into the SLP air kit. still out side air going through air box but much less chance of pluggung off in the powder...?

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
Yep 05 but that's OK I have done some more research and never realised the cold air factor. I have taped off my holes ont he bottom of the box, to reduce belt dust and bring more cold air in. I also see that an 07 air box has a little bigger opening? I have also looked into the SLP air kit. still out side air going through air box but much less chance of pluggung off in the powder...?

My bad. Sorry about that. Regardless, that thing should be snapping your neck when you hit the throttle. You have something else wrong. You are right, the '07 air box gives you a little more air flow and will add a pony or so, but that will not fix your problems

whitefish

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kent WA
Quick, EZ and cheap fix for yours and almost any sled. POWAIR intake airbox vents. Drill a 3" hole in the rear of the REV airbox and snap in the 1-way filtered vent. Done. All bogging in any depth of snow is gone. I have them in stock and will ship for $15 each. I always recommend 2 for 800cc or larger.

Jimmyb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Cremona Alberta
My bad. Sorry about that. Regardless, that thing should be snapping your neck when you hit the throttle. You have something else wrong. You are right, the '07 air box gives you a little more air flow and will add a pony or so, but that will not fix your problems
I am going to take it for a good hard run on Thurs and Fri I am going to put a new set of plugs in and moniter them Let everyone know what happens
Aside from that how much synthetic oil is too much. What were the Specs from the factory..50:1 or 40:1?

M
Oct 24, 2008
Fort St James
I am going to take it for a good hard run on Thurs and Fri I am going to put a new set of plugs in and moniter them Let everyone know what happens
Aside from that how much synthetic oil is too much. What were the Specs from the factory..50:1 or 40:1?

I have always ran ams oil full synthetic and have my oiler adjusted to oem specs. If you take your carbs off you can see the oiler to see if it is adjusted correctly. These oilers also had a tendency to not close all the way when you let off the throttle. Most guys that keep their oilers put a spring on the lever to make sure it is closing.

K
K&N

I've had the k&n filters on two 06 revs and they ran great. Keep in mind they were well vented.Everyone seems to swear by stock air box's! I had a buddy put the smaller air filters on like the timbersled ones and the sled didn't run very well. I suppose i had two lemons cause they worked awesome with the K&N's!

Premium Features