• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chaincase oil change

97exc

Dec 14, 2008
CO
Time to change it out on 98 Summit 500, the old stuff is like thick black paint. Not sure what was in there. Dealer said to put in synthetic 90w. Anyone agree or disagree? Need to do this by Thursday so I will have to be able to get the oil locally.

Also, is there a drain plug on this sled or do you have to pull the cover? If so, is the seal re-useable?

F

f15ejedi

Oct 6, 2008
Anchorage Alaska
Time to change it out on 98 Summit 500, the old stuff is like thick black paint. Not sure what was in there. Dealer said to put in synthetic 90w. Anyone agree or disagree? Need to do this by Thursday so I will have to be able to get the oil locally.

Also, is there a drain plug on this sled or do you have to pull the cover? If so, is the seal re-useable?

What year /model sled? I have always used the gear oil the dealers sell because that one bottle fills mine perfectly. Depending on the engine you will have to pull the side cover and I have re-used my seal, just clean everything up good an be careful not to pinch it when you put it back together. I replace the seal every couple of seasons and it has never leaked.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
There is a drain plug, but I would pull the cover to inspect the chain. synthetic 75/90 is fine, some guys use ATF....just about anything will work.

Premium Features