• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Assault Skid into a REV?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Has anyone put an Assault skid in a REV? I may have the opportunity to get a good deal on a complete Assault rear skid for my project REV and I was wondering if anybody had put a Poo skid into a REV. I know that I would have to put new drivers in for the 146" track and I'm sure new mounting holes for the skid but I would think it would be possible depending on the width of the Assault skid.

Any thoughts?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Well I decided to go ahead with this over the summer since my current suspension is toast. So I picked up a full Assault 146 skid and will begin making the mounting blocks to adjust for the narrower Polaris skid vs the REV skid. Also building a custom set of drop brackets for the rear mount.

Lots of pics to follow.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Well after a busy summer I'm finally getting back to this. Got my Mounts/spacers designed today and they should be milled out next week. I dropped off the shocks today to have them gone through just to make sure they are ready to go for the season. Rails are going to be anodized black the week after next and the rest of the internal parts are headed for the powdercoaters. Hopefully on the next few weeks I can get this thing set into the sled.

S

shawn2820

Dec 26, 2009
Arthur Nebraska
Ok just a simple question, not trying to be a smart a** or anything, but why would you want to? why not just put another rev skid in it? would sure be a lot cheaper and easier i would think.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Ok just a simple question, not trying to be a smart a** or anything, but why would you want to? why not just put another rev skid in it? would sure be a lot cheaper and easier i would think.

The 2011 Assault skid is loosely based on a Holz design and far FAR superior to a stock REV skid not to mention lighter as well (I have both). The weight savings comes from the fact that the Assault skid doesn't use torsion springs and the rails and swing arms are lighter so you save about 15-20 lbs depending on what shocks you use.

Have FUN!

G MAN

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007

Good question. I got a killer deal on the full Assault Skid and after going through 2 REV skids and dozens of REV skid Parts. I decided I wanted something a bit more durable. Plus it has not been done before which also makes the project a bit more fun. :face-icon-small-coo

The 2011 Assault skid is loosely based on a Holz design and far FAR superior to a stock REV skid not to mention lighter as well (I have both). The weight savings comes from the fact that the Assault skid doesn't use torsion springs and the rails and swing arms are lighter so you save about 15-20 lbs depending on what shocks you use.

Have FUN!

G MAN

The 2011 Assault skid would be a killer option also. I'm going with the 2010 version which after getting a chance to work with now I also feel this is far superior to the REV Skid. I won't have the weight savings like the 2011 has but will have a much beefier more solid skid vs the stock REV skid. I guess time will tell.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SORRY,, but Yes I know what an assault skid looks like, alot better in a Polaris!!!!!

Not to be a di** but do you think that the REV SC3 skid is a better skid then the Assault skid? For the riding I do.......I don't.

I paid $400 for a brand new take out 2010 Assault skid. Do you know of a better option on the market at that price point for the REV? Don't get me wrong there a lot of better options for the REV in the $1000 to $2500 range Tom's, Timbersled, EZ RYDE etc... but I did not want to spend that kind of money on a rear skid for a sled that may become my back-up after this season.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Nope, Don't you know what a stock assault skid looks like? :face-icon-small-hap I'll get some pics up after It's painted / anodized and then when it's mounted.

ya know I agree with and understand why your putting that skid in, I would like to do a skid change in my Rev also, I also understand about the cost, the cheapest upgrade I have seen to a stock rev skid is toms sunspension which is around what your mentioned your spending on your project but we both most likely know it won`t come close to the cost of a Timbersled, Holz, Ezride etc and all of those.

So its good to see people make different option and also I think its fun to do mods of any kind wish I had the money to do more to my sled but I have done about every inexpensive and free mod or part delete or removal to shave weight and add performance. just the things I would like to do now are the spendy ones. etc..

I Apologize!!!! about my reaction, but didn`t take well to the Don`t you know what a assault skid looks like..... Yes I already knew that, it was kind of an offensive reply, but No hard feelings and good luck on your project its just cool to see pics as a project goes along, everyone on here Likes to see that!!

Good Luck, Wildcard

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ya know I agree with and understand why your putting that skid in, I would like to do a skid change in my Rev also, I also understand about the cost, the cheapest upgrade I have seen to a stock rev skid is toms sunspension which is around what your mentioned your spending on your project but we both most likely know it won`t come close to the cost of a Timbersled, Holz, Ezride etc and all of those.

So its good to see people make different option and also I think its fun to do mods of any kind wish I had the money to do more to my sled but I have done about every inexpensive and free mod or part delete or removal to shave weight and add performance. just the things I would like to do now are the spendy ones. etc..

I Apologize!!!! about my reaction, but didn`t take well to the Don`t you know what a assault skid looks like..... Yes I already knew that, it was kind of an offensive reply, but No hard feelings and good luck on your project its just cool to see pics as a project goes along, everyone on here Likes to see that!!

Good Luck, Wildcard

Yea, looking back I should have worded that better. But I was trying to just stay the assault skid was still stock just sitting in the corner of the garage.........BUT I will get lots of pics up when i get into assembly of everything. I'll also get everything up in a build thread in that section too.

S

shawn2820

Dec 26, 2009
Arthur Nebraska
Not to be a di** but do you think that the REV SC3 skid is a better skid then the Assault skid? For the riding I do.......I don't.

I paid $400 for a brand new take out 2010 Assault skid. Do you know of a better option on the market at that price point for the REV? Don't get me wrong there a lot of better options for the REV in the $1000 to $2500 range Tom's, Timbersled, EZ RYDE etc... but I did not want to spend that kind of money on a rear skid for a sled that may become my back-up after this season.

Im really interested to see how this works for you. for $400 it sounds like it should be a significant upgrade to the sled.

S

shawn2820

Dec 26, 2009
Arthur Nebraska
Thanks for the info guys! Im not new to snowmobiling by any means but when it comes to all the upgrades and mods you can do with these sleds i am, and im trying to soak it all in.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
A bit more then a "plug and play" swap but with a couple mile on its solid. I have a few days of riding ahead to get the sled dialed in yet. But here is a 2009 Assault 146 in a 2005 Ski-Doo REV. Skid is pushed back 2" and running a 151" track with 9" rear wheels. I still have some dialing in to do as it's still really light on the front end.

P1000499.jpg

Premium Features