• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 summit 800r issues??

x-5

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Park City mt
Well there is always the p 85...I had a rkt 860 xr-s put the p 85 and a camo 16x163x2.31 track on and never looked back. Took both the p 85 and the 7 to cooke and did some back to back testing, p 85 killed it not as fast to change for dif snow but with the 860 power I only change the p 85 mabe 3 times all year.

x-5

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Park City mt
Swap the track. The challenger extreme will make a world of difference on that sled. Do not be afraid of the 07's. When set-up right they are a great sled. Go through your clutches, get the Rooster Built clutch kit and the camo extreme and you will be in for a great ride. I would wait until the engine fails to do anything. If it does fail get a shortblock from Skidoo and be on your way.

or just get the case fixed and get a crank from sea-doo clinic, thats what i did.

Nov 26, 2007
walla walla
Measure the runout..

Get a dial indicator and measure the runout of the crank on the clutch. I forget what the specs are.. Check it and if it is true ride it like you stole it.. If it is out of whack order up a new crank and tear into it before it grenades and trashes the block too... You may want to put in a DJ kit on the clutch, I would recommend gearing it down too.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
There is info at my website
There is a lot of talk of bad bushings and yes there was. With the latest updated bushing material, the wear qualities and sizing are greatly improved.
The largest contributor to roller bushings, any bushing in the primary clutch prematurely failing is due to excessive crankshaft taper runout.
The larger value of runout, the greater the clutch displaces out of parallel as it rotates. The clutch has an inherent major and minor thrust position when under load and add another value in there of oscillation the wear parts capacity diminish.
So...get the crank stub straight and have it meet or exceed runout spec; update with 2009 bushing materials, hammer down...

attachment.php

2007xrs800.jpg

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Crankcase/bearing clearance....can be corrected, talk with John at Sled Head Racing.
On the primary clutch replece the spring cap assy. with a newer ('09+) part...same part number just has upgraded bushing material. I would also replace the rollers and make sure everything else in the primary is in tolerance.
Secondary clutch has a small bushing prone to wear....TEAM clutch is a nice improvement for consistancy/durability.
Great sled when everything is right.....I miss my '07!

Interesting hearing "I miss my 07" from Winterbrew. I know he really knows his stuff and I,m certain he had a trick 07. I thought I was the lone ranger as I ride a full Mod 07 and just cannot switch to the XP Trail chassis.Sure like to see a photo of Brew,s 07

S
Nov 27, 2007
What year Ski-Doos do you find the TRA III? I have a buddy with a shelled out Summit 800 I think it is a 2000 or 2001. If it is the older TRA can I just get it machined out? I remember a lot of guys doing this back in the day.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks Joe, I looked at your website but couldn't find what i was looking for. I guess I just needed to look harder!

I just sold my 05 summit and can't figure the XP out so I thought a low miles 07 would be just the ticket. I knew there were some issues with the 07s but it sounds like they are all very correctable with several different approaches. This thread has been very useful for me. Thanks everyone.

HiMark Racing

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Lincoln
I have the same sled...

The bottom end had bearing issue's (Skidoo gave me a new one). There were some issues with bushings in the clutch..again skidoo replaced them for free...The track is a trencher..I went with the track that came off the 06'..non ported and I love it so far..only 3 rides so far on it..

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
track kinda sucks too.. trenches.. what should i replace it with?

Sent: November-26-10 9:33 AM
To: 'Drop The Hammer'
Subject: track equivalent

Hi Brad, what would be an equivalent camplast track as the powdermax that you ran on the 07 sled that my customers rave-on about?

This guy has a 159 and not happy with the track (camo lite). Says trenches all the time, digging a slot, augering, gets stuck.
Any recommendation on a better floatation track?

Would it be this track
http://www.tracksusa.com/challenger_extreme.html

Challenger Powder Max
08-Present SKI DOO TRACKS--SAME AS '06 DESIGN !!---Single Ply Technology

--------------------------

Hey Joe. NOPE!!! I ran a 159 inch powder max, 9941 model and 2.31 inch paddle with no porting (google “camoplast 9941 track” and it comes up).
CAMOPLAST 159 X 2-5/16 X 16W 2.52 PITCH MTN PADDLE - 54-9941
9941.jpg

Not listed anymore on the site you sent me. Call them, they probably still have them.
It was NOT a single ply. I don’t like single ply, lighter yes, but stiffer and takes more power to turn (counter intuitive I know) even though a bit lighter. The wider ribs make it harder to turn.

That being said, I’d have him do some forum research to see if a 2.5 paddle camo extreme would fit, it has a 16” belt width, but paddles are only 15 inch wide, so handling is awesome and it out-climbs the 2.3 inch by far and with the belt at 16 wide does not sacrifice flotation.

I’m not sure it will clear the top of the tunnel on a 2007. That would be a nice track even though it’s single ply, 2.5 is that much better than 2.3” in the hills.

Best Regards,

Brad
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 05-440 race-w/a stock 800 in it.
Come original 1.75 stiff paddle thin race track. Was excellent on the trail but cuts a slot in the deep snow, the sled has a lot of angle when going full throttle breaking trail.
I installed a 9798M 121 x 2" paddle, has thicker rubber but the paddles themselves, I can bend them over with my fingers.
I bet I can get easily another 8 to 10 mph faster "velocity" on top of the snow now with this track. Another thing I notice about it is when running full throttle breaking trail, I can make the arse end slide out as much as I want and when carving, it doesn't dig in the snow as much. Even though 2" paddle on 121, its the best track i've ever had for boondocking.

In Golden, we tested two identical 07's side by side with the original powder lite track, then Brad come back another weekend with the soft paddle he mentioned and could easily get another 4~5mph "velocity" over the other stiff paddle track.

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I got a 16x2.5 full width lugs under mine. Had to drop the rear end just over an inch to keep the track from contacting the rear of the front heat exchanger. 7t 3pitch drivers.

Everyone else has covered the engine/clutching issues. You'll love the sled.

Premium Features