• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OT: What brand/make of tools are you using?

D
Dec 2, 2008
Alaska
Hello and Happy 4th of July, all. :wave:

Just wondering what kind of high quality tools everyone is using here for their sleds.

During the early part of spring my friends and I were out ice fishing when the weather was fairly warm (about 28 degrees fahrenheit) out.
We were going pretty much wide open on the trail leading towards home facing away from the wind and my engine suffered a meltdown. :frown:

It's been sitting in the shop waiting to be broken down, but I haven't gotten around to it just yet. Been too busy with work lately.

Anyhow, what brand of tools do you recommend that I should look into?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

K

KEPT ENT.

Mar 22, 2009
Westlock Alberta
I have been using Mac tools for 3 years now with no problems. My father buys all of his stuff at Princess Auto, claims that they are cheap enough to be disposable. Not a bad thought though. Sad to hear your sled is down. Happy wrenching!!!

:beer;:beer;

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I know some will squawk, but I can still justify the expense for Snap-on in most cases...

DCFN0002-1.jpg

There is a small toolbox hiding somewhere behind my sled^^^

X2 on owning the proper clutch tools; this is pretty much mandatory if you are going to work on your own sled.

I also build lots of my own tooling too tho.... a TIG, a lathe and a milling machine go a long ways for such applications.

S
Feb 10, 2009
Gooding Id
the tools that you will use all the time spend the coin and get snapon and craftsman. but for a travel box to travel with buy the cheap stuff incase somebody thinks they need it worse that you your not out your good tools.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
i have many brands because i feel some things you just cant cheap out on and other dont really matter, i buy mastercraft wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers, i was lucky both the mac and snap-on trucks came to my shop regularly. i like mac tools a little more than snap-on, same high quality but a bit cheaper. all air tools, torque wrenches, alan's and electrical are one or the other.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Snap-On....

Everything else is 10th place, with the exception of one tool. Even Matco and Mac don't hold a candle to Snap-On.

Air Guns...then IR, but it's the only tool that Snap-On doesn't make as well.

Try getting a Matco or Mac tool warrantied in the middle of nowhere. Snap-On is everywhere.

Mac does build a nice tool box.

Next question

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Snap-On....

Everything else is 10th place, with the exception of one tool. Even Matco and Mac don't hold a candle to Snap-On.

Air Guns...then IR, but it's the only tool that Snap-On doesn't make as well.

Try getting a Matco or Mac tool warrantied in the middle of nowhere. Snap-On is everywhere.

Mac does build a nice tool box.

Next question

I actually like some of mac's diognostic testers better then snap-ons....but overall snap -on is the best by far..and yeah IR air tools rule...

Premium Features