• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best REV sled?

W

wyoXP

Jan 2, 2010
Wyoming
Hey folks.

So I'm looking to buy a REV mountain sled and was wondering which year I should be looking at? Which year has the best engine (trouble free), shocks, skid, etc. I've been doing a little research and it looks like the 06 or 07 seems to be tops. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bring on the snow!!

S
Dec 5, 2007
Boise ID
06 hands down

Holy crap 04-05??!! you're on crack. all you have to do is spend 5 mins on the search tool and you'll see 06 is reguarded as the best year the REV was built. I could go into the years before and the 07 issues but that has been covered to death!

find an 06 (X if possible) and if the top end isn't done already, do it before 2000 miles and use the 2 ring option.

I've ridden cats, pols, and XPs and even a dragon for a sec... of all of them I love my REV the best. 06 go figure. I sold the other 06 i had and wish i had kept it. you can get a good price on them now so good luck.

hauler

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
I guess it all depends if your talking box stock or not, I would say go 06 or 07, but I'm a little biased as I have the 07 XRS. The 07's had a case issue that caused the crank issues, get that fixed and get through the clutches and now you have the best of both worlds, the last year of the Rev and the 800R motor. That's my 3 pennies....

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
have a 04 and 06. the 06 hands down. although the 04 has been problem free but the 06 seems to have more power and climb better.

ive also had the 06 twice as long... been great to me. i have 2 other friends that have a 06X and the problems been mininal

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
'07 with the '08 engine. Lots of those out there....much more power, better clutch and no consistant problems. '07 does need a different track if it has the Powder-lite, but most of those got changed.

S
Feb 6, 2008
06 no question. Bought a 09 xp, sold it, bought my 06 back. Since 06 it has never been to the dealer, wish I could say the same about the xp

W

wyoXP

Jan 2, 2010
Wyoming
Hey guys, thanks for all of the input. I do think that i'll go with the '06 or the '07 with an '08 engine if I can find one. Maybe this way i'll be able to get a couple with in a couple years. More sleds means more people to ride right. How many days before it starts snowing again?!!

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
They all had some hiccups. Working at a Doo dealership for the past 4+years and seeing what has come through the door over and over again, I'll take the 2006. infact I bought a '06 this winter as a second sled. Wouldn't buy a rev unless it was a '06 X. Best base to start from bar-none. Some liberally applied di-electric grease and maintenance is key. Keep the clutches fresh, swap topends on schedule. Don't hesitate to rebuild a bottom end before it's needed. Unfortunately, any hard ridden case reed 800 from Doo is due for a topend within 2500km and a bottom end north of 3000km's. This is 100% mountain riding. Now I've noticed I can add roughly about 25% more life to the motors by simply running premix and really making sure the clutches are balanced and parts don't have a chance to wearout. Whether it's fact or not....I don't have nearly the issues others have. Neither do many others that practise the same ritual.
Otherwise a '07 with a new shortblock, clutch and track. Otherwise, great machine. If you can find one in decent shape, jump on it.

W

wyoXP

Jan 2, 2010
Wyoming
Wow, I have to say that I really appreciate the wealth of information everyone has presented. KEEP IT COMING!! I find that I can find a few good sleds available if I was willing to do some travelling. I'm willing to drive a day to score a great sled, especially if it is a hold over. That would be awsome. Snow Guthrie thanks for the dime!!

R
Apr 3, 2010
i work at a skidoo shop here in alaska and 06 800 ptech is the best motor skidoo has put out never had a sled in the shop of that year that has problems so in my eyes that the sled to get summit or mxz..

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
got to love my 06. had 2500 miles on the stock motor and dropped the rkt head and pistons on it. now it pulls as hard or harder then an xp with out the r motor. no problems with mine

B
Dec 29, 2009
I just picked up a very low miles 07. Maybe I should have done my homework first, but got a year end deal so it'll be OK.
What's wrong with the Powder-lite track? I've seen a couple of comments but nobody explaining the issues with them. Thanks for the input...JB

S
May 3, 2010
Out of all the rev models that are out there, the one that really runs in the deep pow and can climb really good is the 2007 white and red model, 159" track. We have 2 rev model sleds (151" and 159") and 2 xp's (both 163") and the white sled can run with our xp's all day no matter the conditions, so check one of them out or ride one of them if you get the chance.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I just picked up a very low miles 07. Maybe I should have done my homework first, but got a year end deal so it'll be OK.
What's wrong with the Powder-lite track? I've seen a couple of comments but nobody explaining the issues with them. Thanks for the input...JB

The track really wasn't condusive to powder riding. Most guys put a 2.5 CE track on them. The Lite will trench pretty much regardless of what you do, however, changing suspension points and dialing in the suspension to suit your riding style is important with this track. Otherwise swap it like hundreds of others without trying to make it work. On the other hand, the CE will outclimb the Lite WHEN set-up properly.

Case in point.

Customers 07 XRS with a 162x2.5x16 CE and a '07 XRS with a stock Lite track. Customer never adjusted his suspension, never even looked at his limiter straps, but wanted a new track cause of all the "bad press" snowest was giving it.
I ran the Lite all year long and little by little made it work to the point where all I did was clutched, geared and tuned the suspension to his pipe/head/reeds/track with my clutching and gearing as well.
He couldn't out mark me for all he was worth, and vice-versa.
We were within feet of eachother on any climb. And I was still leaving a deeper trench than he was at that!

With that being said, if you pay attention to detail and tune your ride instead of just hopping on it, a sled with the CE will outclimb the Lite in almost all conditions. Come springtime in BC, I wouldn't have traded that Lite for any other track though.

Premium Features