• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brock is back in the game!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Humbled Lesnar returns to UFC spotlight
Dan Wetzel

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Jan 20, 12:56 pm EST

As recently as early January, Brock Lesnar was convinced he needed surgery to deal with a case of diverticulitis – a condition that essentially left a hole in his intestine and put his career as Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight title holder in jeopardy. He might be out a year. Or it might be two. Or it might be forever.

Instead, a series of doctor’s visits and tests have revealed what both Lesnar and UFC president Dana White described as a “miracle.” The big guy is healed and ready to return to the Octagon this summer, probably against the winner of the fight between Frank Mir and Shane Carwin in March.

“Let’s be clear, I’m still the heavyweight champion,” Lesnar growled, in trademark fashion, on ESPN on Wednesday morning.

Brock Lesnar
Brock Lesnar is grateful for his supporters and focused on his return.
(Eric Jamison/AP file photo)

There couldn’t be better news for the UFC and fans of mixed martial arts. Lesnar isn’t just apparently well again (although really, who knows if there could be a setback or another episode), but his return to fighting brings back the sports’ biggest box office star.

Lesnar, 32, is a polarizing figure – or was until he got sick. You either loved his in-your-face ways or wanted someone to punch him in his face because of it. You were either one of the new fans that Lesnar drew in, perhaps from his days as a professional wrestler, or you resented them.

Either way, Lesnar was difficult to shift your eyes away from. A huge man who needs to cut weight to make the 265-pound limit, he was growing as a fighter and an intimidator during his brief career. His fights were thrilling and he headlined the hugely successful UFC 100, which did a reported 1.6 million pay per view buys.

His postfight tirade after his dominating victory over Mir at UFC 100, complete with flipping off the crowd and cussing out UFC sponsors, made him a tour de force. It didn’t mesh with his private life as a blue-collar, down home guy from South Dakota and Minnesota, yet Lesnar had learned how to sell fights during his days in the WWE.

The truth was, he just wanted to hang out in the woods with his family and emerge a couple times a year to beat the heck out of someone. And now, it seems, he can again.

“The doctors were dumbfounded,” Lesnar said. “They couldn’t find any signs of trouble.”

This was a long way from the fall, when illness and weakness caused Lesnar to sit out almost three weeks of training camp as he prepared to fight Carwin in a bout scheduled for November in Las Vegas. When I visited his training camp in October, he complained of being “dead in the ***.” Within weeks he couldn’t work out at all and when doctors couldn’t figure out the medical issue, Lesnar dropped out of the fight.

In an effort to fight depression, he went hunting in Canada where he had a painful diverticulitis attack.

“I felt like I got shot in the gut,” he said.

He wasn’t excited about his Canadian medical care, comparing it to “a third world country” where he couldn’t get any treatment. Finally Lesnar’s wife, Rena (better known as former pro wrestling star Sable), sprung him from the hospital, loaded him into a car and while Lesnar writhed in pain, drove “100 miles an hour” across the border and into North Dakota. He wound up MedCenter One, a hospital in Bismarck, N.D. There doctors were patient, didn’t immediately perform surgery and slowly nursed him back to some form of health.

“My wife saved my life,” he said.

Still, when he returned to the farm he owns outside Alexandria, Minn. he was down 40 pounds and facing an uncertain future. He got a second opinion at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. and heard the same thing – surgery. He changed his diet. He said he put his mind to healing. Dana White claimed Lesnar tried some holistic healing procedures. He began light workouts and focused on regaining some of his weight.

By the time Lesnar visited a doctor on January 5, he not only felt better, medical tests couldn’t find a problem. He kept returning for more and more tests. “Four of five different opinions,” Lesnar said, including one on Tuesday.

And now he’s focused on the future – returning to a sport where he found the peace of mind and quality of life that he’d been seeking since bailing on a multi-million dollar contract with the WWE.

“The doctor said, ‘You’ve got a lottery ticket,’ ” White said on ESPN.

Lesnar appeared fully aware of his good fortune. There is simply no way to know how long it will last or whether he is truly “healed.” A man built on bullying others inside the Octagon wore a look of fear as he described his recent medical journey and humility at his prognosis.

“I’ve got a different take on life,” Lesnar said. “When you have everything taken away, when you lay helplessly on a hospital bed … I’ve always been in control. For me to sit there for 30 days and not have control of anything … “

He went on to thank his wife, with whom he recently had a son. And his doctors. And the UFC. And anyone who thought of him while he was sick.

The powerhouse of a man who fans learned to hate because of his gruff ways at least sounded like a new guy.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
No doubt!

I thought the haters would have something stupid to remark about his ordeal!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
millions of men have looked at brock lesnars' wifes' vagina ... HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I was diagnosed with that in December, Hurts like a MOFO! VA had it diagnosed within an hour after I went in and had me on pain pills and antibiotics. Even with horse size codeine pills I was to the brink that if the paid got worse I wanted someone to put me out of my misery even if it took a bullet. It was gone within 4 days though and I just have to avoid eating things that are tough to digest, seeds, nuts, corn, popcorn etc. He'll be fine but it sounds like he went through it a bit longer than I did and will spend a bit more time than the week I was down.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I was diagnosed with that in December, Hurts like a MOFO! VA had it diagnosed within an hour after I went in and had me on pain pills and antibiotics. Even with horse size codeine pills I was to the brink that if the paid got worse I wanted someone to put me out of my misery even if it took a bullet. It was gone within 4 days though and I just have to avoid eating things that are tough to digest, seeds, nuts, corn, popcorn etc. He'll be fine but it sounds like he went through it a bit longer than I did and will spend a bit more time than the week I was down.

Were you diagnosed with Diverticulitus or Croanes?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Diverticulitis. From what I gather 90% of people will have it by the time we make it to 85yrs of age. (If we live that long) Doc said it's more painful than pain associated with childbirth. I thought it felt like I got shot in the gut.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Good luck Brock, but Shane is gonna hunt you down and beat you and take what belongs to him.

images-407.jpeg

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I wouldn't call Mir a big roadblock. Shane can handle him. I'm friends with his brother and his niece goes to school with my kid. I respect a man who does what he does and has a REAL job and life that comes first.

They were scheduled to fight before Brock got sick.

Last edited:
S
Dec 27, 2007
Redmond, WA
I don't care who you're friends with, lol I don't think Shane will be able to take Mir down. Mir has packed on a good amount of muscle lately and has really taken it to another level himself. Carwin will have his hands full with Mir.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Have you taken a good look at the two fighters side by side? Carwin, hands down has way more muscle than Mir and those bowling ball sized fists he has can cause some serious damage.

B

buck50

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Cochrane, Alberta
Have you taken a good look at the two fighters side by side? Carwin, hands down has way more muscle than Mir and those bowling ball sized fists he has can cause some serious damage.
the problem mir had with brock was his shear aggresiveness. he just wanted to pound mir to pulp, and mir didn't have a good game plan for that. carwin is a better technical fighter than brock, which i think will work to his disadvantage against mir. carwin will think he can out fight, out wrestle mir, and mir with either knock him out(see kongo) or snap a limb when they get rolling around on the ground. i think mir is a much bigger threat than you are giving him credit for. even a rematch with lesnar will be good now that he has piled on the muscle weight. not saying carwin doesn't have a ver ygood shot at winning, cause lets face it, all heavy weights only need one punch really

T

T-Bone

Nov 11, 2005
Shelby, MT
A 265 pound muscled up Frank Mir will be a force in the UFC heavyweight division. His submission game is top notch for a heavyweight (second only to Big Nog, IMO), and in his last fight with Lesnar, he was just overmatched physically.

That being said...I think Carwin beats both Mir and Lesnar.

S
Dec 27, 2007
Redmond, WA
Mir is a very technical fighter no doubt and him being bigger, faster, and stronger will make him ever tougher to beat. Lesnar has some HUGE hands too. Carwin versus both of them will be a good fight. I'm kind of getting the same feeling between people like when Penn was fighting Pierre and people actually thought Penn was going to do any damage to GSP.

Premium Features