• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled will start then dies immediately

Dec 5, 2008
Provo
Hey guys

I have an 18 with about 200 miles. When I pull start it it sounds like a normal start then it immediately dies. I can start it with the throttle on and feathering it but once I let of the throttle it dies. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Try to tighten up your throttle cable. They stretch early on when new and get to loose and out of spec..

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Hey guys

I have an 18 with about 200 miles. When I pull start it it sounds like a normal start then it immediately dies. I can start it with the throttle on and feathering it but once I let of the throttle it dies. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

Just bought an ‘18 SKS with 700 miles on it. Same issue. Started fine first couple times in the garage, loaded it in the truck for a 2 hour drive. Unloaded and had to keep the throttle cracked to keep it running until it came up to temp and snapped out of it. Never had an issue starting my ‘16 in 3.5 years. Heard of some others with the same issue on 2018s but no explanation why...smoked bad and ran rough until it cleared up but fine the rest of the day. Seemed like it had a crankcase full of oil or gas or was just running super rich. Sled also loaded up a bit idling down some steep hills. I figured the mapping would have improved in 2 years....

KStrand

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 25, 2010
MN
Hey guys

Thanks for your help

Like skippy said above, prob need to tighten throttle cable. More than likely it’s loose and messing up your tss.

Dec 5, 2008
Provo
Thanks guys,

It’s the weirdest thing. So i think it was flooded and I held the throttle wide open when I started it. It worked but now it idles real high so I am gonna adjust the throttle. Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Remember the cable adjustment is right in the middle of the handlebars inside that movable rubber coating.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
I don’t know if I’m missing something but in my experience if your throttle cable is too Loose it will not effect idle. Too tight of throttle cable will make it die. And there should be .030” free play. It’s probaly a bad tps sensor or tps out of spec provided everything is pluggged in and no other issues noticed.There are many posts on here how to check and adjust tps

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
I don’t know if I’m missing something but in my experience if your throttle cable is too Loose it will not effect idle. Too tight of throttle cable will make it die. And there should be .030” free play. It’s probaly a bad tps sensor or tps out of spec provided everything is pluggged in and no other issues noticed.There are many posts on here how to check and adjust tps
Agreed.. Only thing too much play in your throttle cable will do is, not give you full throttle. Adjust throttle cable to spec and check TPS.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The throttle cable tension advice that sticks out in my mind over the years is that you should be able to put tension on the flapper and there is just enough gap between the throttle and the block that you can stick a drivers license in there before the throttle cable moves.

TDR

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2012
Just went through this with both of my 18's. Bad TPS and the symptoms will vary from poor idle to fouled plugs. TPS is the weak link.

Premium Features