• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Replacing coolant tank - Anyone do it?

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Was out in Idaho last week, and the coolant tank split and puked coolant out of the tank. Need to put in a new one....

anyone do this themselves?

If so, is it a fairly easy process?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Have done a lot of them. Give yourself an hour to do it. Pretty straight forward and easy.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
What should I be loloking for in terms of updated part numbers, or the look of the tank that might be different (Assuming there was an updated, better part released).

I dont want to order one from the dealer, only to get an old part number unit that will again split

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
It would be cool if someone did an aluminum one...

Have you done anything to combat under hood heat?

I have about 10 2" holes on both the clutch side and exhaust side of the hood and a- arm area that have frog skinz on them to get rid of that heat.

Are these tanks still splitting after that update (Apparent update) that was done to the tanks?

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
I have the blankets and the vented hood & side panels, I was just curious on yours.

I am not sure on the coolant tank update, have not run into the issue.
My water temp seems to run between 165-170 degrees when riding.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Weld the seam

I don't trust the seam on the tank, regardless if it's new or old part number. I plastic "weld the seam with a soldering iron, then cover the entire tank with heat reflective tape to reduce the exhaust heat radiated to it. No problems since, and FWIW, I do have Cat's vented side panels on the sled.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I have the blankets and the vented hood & side panels, I was just curious on yours.

I am not sure on the coolant tank update, have not run into the issue.
My water temp seems to run between 165-170 degrees when riding.

Is there a toggle on the gauge that tells you the water temp?

Hotchief

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2005
Normandy Park, WA
Is there a toggle on the gauge that tells you the water temp?

On the Sno-Pro gauge you can hold down both up/down buttons for about 10 seconds and it converts the odometer area to 0-8 data options. Scroll up or down to data option 3 and it should be water temp.

Only issue is it reverts back to odometer as soon as you turn the key back off.

Premium Features