• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ford vs. Dodge weights

B
Oct 26, 2003
Is there a noticable difference in engine weight between the 7.3 and Cummins? The 7.3 seems really heavy when driving. Just curious if the Dodge is noticably lighter behind the wheel. Thanks.

Last edited:

Heater15

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Brandon MB
diesel

Cummins I-6 is definately a better motor, but it is heavier. You won't notice driving down the road, but you will replace front end parts on a Dodge before a Ford.

R
Dec 31, 2007
Wasilla, Alaska
I have an 01 Dodge cummins and yeah its a heavy motor, but I love the truck. I bought it with 69,000 miles and all the ball joints had just been replaced, so I think it will eat front end parts. Other than that no complaints.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
I was pretty certain that the Powerstroke trucks were indeed heavier then the Cummins. Ill have to do some looking again, but from the performance scene and the reading i've done, that was my impression. Both are great trucks, both have some pro's and cons, its all preference really.

M
Feb 6, 2008
Draper, UT
I was pretty certain that the Powerstroke trucks were indeed heavier then the Cummins. Ill have to do some looking again, but from the performance scene and the reading i've done, that was my impression. Both are great trucks, both have some pro's and cons, its all preference really.

Fords trucks are heavier, but the Cummins engine is heavier

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
The Cummins engine is been around much longer and has less moving parts I-6 vs V8 most of all your major truck lines, Kenworth, Pete, Volvo ect run a inline motor. More torque less mess! I'm a Cummins guy, lot of my buddys are ford guys this will go on forever! One question a have for ford is why do they keep switching engine's 6.9vs 7.3vs 6.0 vs New Engine twin turbo yada.....

I did some research on this before. I own both 7.3 and a 5.9. I remember the cummins is heavier but not how much heavier. My stroke has a crapload of miles on it and its going to get DeStroked when it finally goes beyond repair. I dont notice any huge difference behind the wheel. Dodge/Ford drive different anyway no matter what engine is in them. I like anything pre-epa nazi era. 6.2, 6.5, 6.9, 7.3, 5.9 bla bla bla All trucks are junk, no matter what brand they are. I'm a mechanic though so i see all the broken stuff. :beer;

R
The old 5.9 12 valve from 1984 was 975 lbs. The 5.9 24 valve from 1998 was 1150 lbs. And the 6.7 24 valve that hit the floor in 2007 weighs in at ? This # was not on the cummins site. Must be heavier....go figure. The power stroke is a 1062 lbs.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
Has there been one diesel motor that has stayed the same for a long period of time? Just like if they kept body styles the same, or sled chassis' the same, to prevent boredom, to try to improve, and specific to engines, to keep with the rediculous emissions standards. Same as it has always been for the past...100 years or so.

R
Jan 14, 2009
Chelan
The cummins 6bt has been around since the early eighties in log skidders, motorhomes, ect. small history lesson 1987 dodge install non intercooled cummins in pu.1989 they installed intercooler.1994 new truck with same block P7100 mech injection various power output vs year vs auto/man tranny. 1998.5 same motor goes to 24v 2003 new truck same old block now with common rail injection, until the latest 6.7 with DPF. You can take the rods, linner,cyl, bearings, ect from 1986 they are the same part# to 2007!

Premium Features