• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

React "all-new geometry"

Overthehood

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 26, 2016
I absolutely love my sled at 37 inches. Thought it might be too much but I wish I would have gone narrower way sooner. Best mod you can do to this chassis....unless you ride trails of course.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
It is not just about a narrower front end being easier to pull over, Comparing a wide sled and a narrow stance sled in a sidehill, the narrower will keep the track more parallel to the hill. The wider the ski stance the less track actually contacts the hill. If you exaggerate the idea imagine a sled with 4ft wide stance sled on its side, only the very back edge of the track would touch the floor. The narrower sled can panel out easier though as it is not being held at a distance from the hill. Obviously we are discussing small changes but I believe the narrower sleds will have more traction when pitched onto one ski. Especially in harder snow.

I only quoted this so everyone stops saying PULL OVER !!
I turn the Skis and Blip the throttle to initiate a side hill and move my feet forward as the front comes up . Using the throttle to keep it lit! ( active sidehilled not just riding on my edge )

Am I doing it wrong ??? Tugging and pulling seems to use to much energy.

Last edited:

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I had a Kmod 37 kit on my 16 Axys and loved it. Stock length revalved shocks. I have had 5 shoulder surgeries, 3 on the right and 2 on the left, and the narrower stance works them less hard. It was also just more fun to ride for me so I am glad that the 850 will have a narrow front end. The 850 will be my last sled (famous last words). I will be 66 when I start riding it. 3 or 4 years left in my less than stellar mountain riding career and then a beach in Hawaii full time.����

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
front shocks

What is everyone's opinion on the std front shocks on the 19 , are the needle shocks worth the money for the average rider ? and by average I mean aggressive but not a cliff jumper.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
What is everyone's opinion on the std front shocks on the 19 , are the needle shocks worth the money for the average rider ? and by average I mean aggressive but not a cliff jumper.
They arent needles, just normal clickers

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
Maybe they went to the narrower stance because of the gyroscopic effect of the longer stroke and more weight of the engine? But then again every one wanted the narrower stance in the past. What is the max. width the skis can be set to with the narrower A arms? Mike

F

fastrack0

Mar 28, 2014
Penticton, BC
I don't understand why some reports are now saying how bad the aftermarket narrow front end are? What's different with the aftermarket and the new front end.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I don't understand why some reports are now saying how bad the aftermarket narrow front end are? What's different with the aftermarket and the new front end.

Ahhh, kinda wondering the same thing, I've run the K-Mod 37" with Raptors and well.....it's awesome!! How can this new "narrow" front end be that much better?!?!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
it would be nice if Eric??? chimed in here. I don't remember his forum name. He had all those nice builds including the smokey and bandit sled.

he compared it to his full skinz/burandt/float set up. that set up when done right is pretty stellar. we all love it. the thing is there has been 3-4?? different geometry's out of skinz plus different shock valving and calibration from burandt. this set up works very well for us, but it may not for him. I know burandt and adams take completely different set ups with that suspension. maybe its set up properly for him, but maybe its not. that would be my question. burandt is amazing, but maybe his personal set up isn't for everyone...

idk... that was a pretty bold statement, I think there is more to it.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
This is what I posted in a different threads that got, well, no reply so I'll put it here and see if it gets any traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado_matt View Post
We have been running a couple of them and extremely impressed in every way. Both of these currently have 700-800 miles on them. I have been sharing videos on my Facebook page of me riding them. Here is a live video we did on the mountain with a group of 4 that got to spend a day switching back and forth to for their own opinions based on them own experience. Each of them currently ride 16 or 17 AXYS with aftermarket 36" front ends. I'm happy to answer any questions.

https://www.facebook.com/mattentzsno...3402415782427/
Just some questions I have based upon the video and what's been posted on the interweb... Not being sarcastic but you can obviously see the brand of aftermarket arms on the sled front and center but cannot see the sleds in the back. I'm going to go out on a thin limb here and sort of be the ambassador for "all" aftermarket 36" kits. The riders say it's a better all-around feel on the 850, better in every way. You have to assume they are all setup properly as per the manufacturers guidelines? I ask this because I see this alot as in a customer that orders a front end kit, has some issues and calls. After a conversation and then pictures sent we figure out they really weren't properly installed. The list of dids and didn't dos is too lengthy to get into. Long and short is Polaris says "ALL NEW GEOMETRY". Now does this mean they changed camber, caster, spindle position as in forward or back, or did they simply pull them in 3"? Again just asking.

FactoryAir1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Yeah....I'm just not biting at all the hype and "in their face testimonials the moment test riders come off the new sled". I mean....I think it would be awesome if it truly is a game changing advancement in handling but cmon....if they've done nothing other than narrow up the stance...then they're not doing anything different than those of us who have already done so on our 16-18's. Is there a big difference between a 36-37" front end compared to stock....having ridden both back to back; absolutely. To hear some bloke on a polaris sponsored vid tell me that the "new geometry" is so much better than his '16-18 AXYS has me calling bull****. Either his sled isn't set up for chit or he's never ridden a narrowed AXYS.

Maybe I'm just trying to talk myself out of an 850, idk. What I do know is I'd be pretty pissed if it didn't deliver on what everyone is saying. I feel the term "game changer" is becoming about as palatable as "flickable"

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I would have to agree with some previous comments. I've been running a narrow front end on my last two sleds, a 14 Pro with Alternative Impact / Raptors and a 17 Axys with a K-Mod / Raptors and both were a definite improvement over stock. I just cannot wrap my mind around this "new" factory front end being so much better then any of these aftermarket setups.............as long as the aftermarket front ends were set up and installed properly?

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
The overall feel and handling probably are a product of the new engine design, mounting system and the front end changes combined.
It seems like almost everyone that has ridden one agrees the new sled rides easier and handles better than the previous AXYS with or without a narrow front end. The new engine design might have a lot more to do with than we believe. JMHO
BTW, all agree a big upgrade in power for the new sled with very smooth linear power delivery. We snow checked two, wife and I.

mt.sledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Saskatchewan
I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs and had been running the mountainside offset spindles on my turbo 2018 - 163 - 3" all year. I found them a lot easier to ride than the stock narrow width, I ran this setup for about 900 miles. I installed the 36" zbroz front end on it about a month ago along with the offset spindles. I'm also running Raptor shocks. The current ski stance is 33" from the center of my carbides. I've run this 33" stance for the last 600 miles and for me it's awesome. You definitely have to be careful in the corners on the trail but its crazy fast in response on the mountain. My tree riding is vastly improved with 33" front and will never go wider again. A few of my buddies tried my sled and some liked it while others felt it was way to hard to control. The guys that felt it was to hard to control is 6'3" and 200 lbs. I'm no Burandt in the trees but this setup has definitely helped me.

Premium Features