• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GoPro HD editing

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I had a regular GoPro motorsports hero wide that I was having a blast with until a tree branch or something wiped it off my helmet this summer.:face-icon-small-fro
A few months ago I went out and dropped some $$ on a GoPro HD, 3 spare battery packs, and a 15 MB/S 32gig card.
Now when I bought it, I didn't have a clue what H264 was, or the complications it would bring me. I have since learned a little about what H264 is and how it works.

What I am looking for is help on how to go about editing my footage. From what I understand, I will need to convert the files down to AVI or MPG before I can use simple editing software to alter them. I'm not looking for anything extensive... just trimming, fades, adding music. I used to use Windows Movie Maker with the old GoPro.... something similar is all I need. Just looking to upload to Youtube for sharing, I'm not concerned with some quality loss.

I have spent countless hours researching, downloading software, and smashing my head on the keyboard trying to get something to work. Can anyone help? Obviously freeware is preferred, I'm almost $700 into this camera setup already and all I can really do is watch raw clips on my laptop.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dan

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I've been using Vegas Movie Studio 10.0 PLATINUM

You can download it for free and try it out, a bit complex, but the tutorials are a big help.

Here is the link: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/moviestudiopp

Thanks for the reply, but my computer struggles with the H264 files in Vegas10, the playback is super choppy.
I'm hoping someone has had luck transcoding down to a simpler less compressed format before editing (like avi, mov, etc)
Anyone?

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
My laptop is only a few months old. So it can play back the files without issue. Sorry I have no experience converting them.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
Kalispell, MT
L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
if you convert your files u will lose your HD quality.. but if you have a slower computer and want to edit you will need to anyways..

more CPU is needed to preview and render HD when using editing software..

something NO ONE ever thinks about when switching to HD gear.. "will my computer handle it" well, if all you want to do is play it back.. sure. but as soon as you dump it into an editing suite your screwed..

install quicktime if you dont have it already that will help with the right codecs for editing mp4 files as well..

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
if you convert your files u will lose your HD quality.. but if you have a slower computer and want to edit you will need to anyways..

more CPU is needed to preview and render HD when using editing software..

something NO ONE ever thinks about when switching to HD gear.. "will my computer handle it" well, if all you want to do is play it back.. sure. but as soon as you dump it into an editing suite your screwed..

install quicktime if you dont have it already that will help with the right codecs for editing mp4 files as well..
Your right, my computer didn't even cross my mind. I lost the original GoPro, and figured I would get the new better HD version. Quality loss is acceptable at this point.

I have recently had some results transcoding with Avidimux, but this gives me a strange version of an AVI file that Windows Movie Maker won't recognize. I can play them in some of my players though, and the quality is good.
I am now on the hunt for editing freeware or torrent download that will work with these files.

J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
Try down loading VLC player, it should play this format and its free. You can't edit it but you should be able to at least see it. I have a mac and iMovie will edit it and it comes on the computer for free. I assume your on a PC?

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I'm familiar with VLC, have been using it for years but viewing the footage is not my concern. Yeah I am on a pc,
I will be doing some test n tune riding on my cled this weekend, I'll grab some fresh footage to play around with, Avidimux seems to work, I just need a freebie editor.

Premium Features