• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken lugs on 2018 Freeride

T
Apr 1, 2018
Got 900 miles on 2.5” track and noticed 2 broken lugs, delaminated with cords showing. After few season would not care would be on me but the first year.. kinda sucks would there be any chance of Ski Doo stepping up under warranty? Thanks

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Not just no, but he** no... I went through a track warranty claim this winter, and they told me to "take a hike"

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
A LOT depends on your dealer. I’ve seen a track warranty on an XM but that track was destroyed. Do you remember hitting something that caused the damage you have? A couple torn lugs is really nothing to worry about, even if they were missing there is no way it could affect performance or any way to feel that.
Is it just that you are worried the track is going to completely fall apart on you in the future? If so I’d put in a claim now. Even if it gets rejected you now have some history in writing. If it does come apart in a couple years you might be able to leverage that into a new track.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
The track on my 17’ started to delaminate and shed several paddles. Pretty obvious that it wasn’t from an impact based on the random spacing of the cracks in the rubber between lugs all over the track. Then there was the abundance of cords ripping out of the sidewall of the track. I asked the dealer to start a case file and apparently ski doo said it was delamination cause by excessive heat and denied warranty. Last year was such an insane snow year that sled never even went a mile on a hard packed trail that would generate any heat....the crusade for weight savings has resulted in throw away tracks at 2k miles and no warranty backing guess tracks are wear items these days

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Whiterad how many miles into your 2000 mike total did the track start to delaminate and show the worst of the damage?

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Whiterad how many miles into your 2000 mike total did the track start to delaminate and show the worst of the damage?

Noticed the first missing lug and signs of delam around 1600mi and seemed to slowly but steadily get worse until the 2k mark. Last year we had such good snow most days that sled was either breaking trail from the parking lot or on freshly groomed pow. Didn’t even need scratchers last year and there were certainly no days of overheating on icy trails. Motor was blown up by first week in February and I never rode it again last year so the track never even saw spring snow.

In some conditions when the snow was super deep but heavy I would get the occasional ratcheting for a quick second even with the track tensioned on the tight side. Otherwise no known impacts to the track at all.

Towards the end of last year I recall a couple threads with people having similar Delamination issues and no one got any warranty coverage.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Did they just say FO politely or did they say 1600-2000 is the life of a track?
Man you are hard on stuff. I’d loan you my bowling ball but I’m worried it would come back with 4 holes!!!

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Did they just say FO politely or did they say 1600-2000 is the life of a track?
Man you are hard on stuff. I’d loan you my bowling ball but I’m worried it would come back with 4 holes!!!

I tried to add the defective track to the $10k plus warranty claim that was already being processed for the catastrophic engine failure and they to me the classic bull**** line that”we have never seen that problem before” and I should GFM.

Don’t worry I’m not allowed to go bowling anymore last time out I blew the toes out of my bowling shoes wobbled the three holes in my bowling bowl into a gaping cavity, splintered the lane, popped the gutter bumpers, and disintegrated the pins like they were 850 belts guess non of it was under warranty so they told me never to come back and go try a new sport like sledding where the equipment was more robust

Last edited:
Premium Features