• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Rhino for snowmobiling?

skidoomanminot

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
Looking to buy some Rhino's for your group of snowmobilers, and just wounding if anyone has used both the new 600 series and the 530s. Which one works best in the cold and what are the useful differences?

iroc1132

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
SE Idaho
I have the 530 and updated to a 655T last year. I use both when snowmobiling. My wife uses the 530 and me the 655. I think the 530 is easier to work the functions with gloves on with the joystick control. If you have thin gloves on the touch screen will work on the 655. The 530 is easier to navigate thru the screens and set up. The 655 has a way better screen. Much more definition to the maps. I have not found any issues with cold with either gps. I have had the 530 since they first came out and it has been flawless. Sledding, hunting whatever its never let me down. I got the 655t so I could upload maps with the micro sd card and it has more internal memory for the maps I put on it from my computer.
The only drawback to either one is the price. And of course your friends need them too to take advantage of all the cool features. If you are the only one in the group that has one you have nothing more than a fancy radio that only tells you where you are. :face-icon-small-ton

P

Powder Buster

Feb 3, 2009
I've got a 650 and riding buddy has the 530. Both work great. The only reason I didn't buy the older 530 is I didn't feel comfortable buying one used. Every new 530 I found cost nearly as much as the newer 650/655. From my research it looked like problems were rare with the 530, but SOME did have problems. I wanted to have the ability to warranty/return if there were any issues.

As a side note, if you choose the 530 be aware that there are two versions. The older 530, and the newer 530HCX. I don't remember all the differences, but I believe the HCX allows the use of the sd card maps.

PB

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Our whole group has 650s. We love them. I use a cheap Motorola speaker mic($19.95 on Amazon) on all of them as we mostly use them as radios. A radio is super handy for keeping track of everybody. Line of sight the range is awesome. In and around the mountains you get 1/2-1 mile in nearly any conditions too. Can't live without them now. Don't get a 610, you lose a LOT of range, transmission quality in the mountains and battery life. The 610s eat a set of AAs per day.

skidoomanminot

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
Thanks for the info. Do u guys use the battery pack that comes with the 650 or i see they have a AA pack for it?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I bought the AA battery pack but never use it. A full charge will get me 2 full days of riding plus. The AA pack burns up batteries way faster. One reason I steer guys off the 610 and I get AA batteries for free.

I

insomniac62

Nov 19, 2010
Aberdeen, SD
How do the motorola speaker mics work?

Anyone using a coat mounted PTT mic with an earbud inside the helmet?

Are the memory cards solely for map updates or is there a secondary use? (music?)

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I bought a 650 and 610 last year, though the 610 is nice, the 650 is superior and worth the extra dollars. I'll probably get another 650 to replace this year. Agreed on the batteries, for the 610 I ended up buying rechargeable AA batts because 1 day of use and they are done. Oh, and the lack of memory card on the 610 is a bit of a challenge also if you have a large riding area. I've had to shrink map sizes to skim the perimeter off of a couple areas we ride in. 650 with the card, I can get a whole region.

Last edited:

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I have 2 of the 530HCX and love them. Several of the guys in my riding group also have the 530HCX. I can't speak for the 650's because I haven't had a chance to play with one yet. I will say this though, they are a great tool. I have had to use the location feature more than once when someone gets turned around or stuck in a blinding snow storm. Works good for that.

I also use them for hunting. I have 2 so that if someone doesn't have one, I can loan them the other. And it's always nice to have a backup in case one of them takes a dump on me.

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
i have two 655t and a 530hcx
i would recomend the 650 i bought the 655 for the 650 price so a good deal
i used the 530 for years love the radio
i had a harder time adjusting to the 655 touch screen but after some time on it the larger screen is the only way to go, i was worried about the screen in the cold, but not a problem, battery life is good, i mount my radio to the dash down low, i have barrel rolled my sled a few times never came loose, i do put a tether on it as well or i carry it in my pack with the hand mic on my back pack the polling feature is great, works real good for use in the heavy treed area. i just went to the birdseye map from gramin looks good

Premium Features