• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 vs 2017

R
Oct 10, 2014
Thinking about trading my T3 for a Axys. Would be new to Poo..The only thing different between the 17 and 16's 155Pro's is colors? Am I seeing that correctly?

S
Jan 1, 2009
What are the reasons you are switching just wondering if you rode the axis and if it was way better than the skidoo. I have a t3 now and never rode a Polaris but seems like everyone is riding one and can boondock like a all star...and wondering if I'm missing out ?

R
Feb 29, 2016
No point in buying a '17 if you can find a '16. They are the same except for BNG. It looks like the gauge is updated some but nothing to justify an extra $2000 for a '17.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
What are the reasons you are switching just wondering if you rode the axis and if it was way better than the skidoo. I have a t3 now and never rode a Polaris but seems like everyone is riding one and can boondock like a all star...and wondering if I'm missing out ?

Sorry man accidentally hit the thumbs down scrolling through on my stupid phone

R
Oct 10, 2014

I haven't road it much so prob premature not liking it. Have ridden doos a lot, last sled was 15 Freeride. I have not rode the Axys yet, but ride with guys that do have the 15 Pro and they seem to do better than my sled. I just felt like a brand new rider on this years Skidoo. Im just not that comfortable on it. Goes pretty good straight up, but I don't have much of that where I am.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
You can get a 174 on the 17 Axys, really only relevant difference between the two years

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Did I read somewhere that the electical connections and routing have been improved along with a tps or ecu fix to get rid of the idling and bog issues that some have been having?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
There will be improvements done to the 17's. Most of it you wont see but they will fix the issues that the 16's have had. They know what the problems are based on warranty claims. ECU maping, wiring/connections, exhaust valve controller, track/driver alignment problems. Eric

D
Oct 13, 2008
There will be improvements done to the 17's. Most of it you wont see but they will fix the issues that the 16's have had. They know what the problems are based on warranty claims. ECU maping, wiring/connections, exhaust valve controller, track/driver alignment problems. Eric

For the price I paid for 2 new 16's I think they should recall and update them to the new specs and parts. Wishful thinking on my part though.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
For the price I paid for 2 new 16's I think they should recall and update them to the new specs and parts. Wishful thinking on my part though.

You would like to think so, but it wont happen. Just look back at the Pro....11 had injector problems, updated in 12, 13 had driveshaft and quick drive issues, both updated for 14. pistons got updated a couple times, fuel mapping got better every year. 14-15 was so much better then 11-12, Just the way they do things. Eric

hiwayman

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Glencoe MN
From what pictures I see, have they went back to the steel A arms? Not seen a picture yet with shiny aluminum A arms on a '17.

R
Feb 29, 2016
Steel a-arms on the Assault and I think the SKS. I would just budget $5-600 for an aftermarket set. They are the only real flaw I have found on the sled.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Steel a-arms on the Assault and I think the SKS. I would just budget $5-600 for an aftermarket set. They are the only real flaw I have found on the sled.

Running the KMOD 37" A-Arms on mine. I love them. I think that Polaris is missing the boat by not providing an option for a narrower stance as well as strengthening the stock A-Arms.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Did I read somewhere that the electical connections and routing have been improved along with a tps or ecu fix to get rid of the idling and bog issues that some have been having?

Yes, those are refinements for the 17s.

Last edited:
R
Feb 29, 2016
Running the KMOD 37" A-Arms on mine. I love them. I think that Polaris is missing the boat by not providing an option for a narrower stance as well as strengthening the stock A-Arms.

I have never felt the need to narrow the Polaris sleds. I have ridden the Cat and Doo at 36 inches and do not like the feel. The Axys stock width works great for me, same as the old Pros.

Stronger, YES, they need to be much stronger. Narrower, Not so much. That is just another band aid for the other flawed designs IMO.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
new MC or message center gauge. 25% bigger, scrolling message capabilities, vertical warning lights & 2 different back light colors. Can update 16's with this for $300.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Sorry man accidentally hit the thumbs down scrolling through on my stupid phone

LOL...I think there should be a way to take back your thumbs down on this site. You know...in case you accidentally hit it or someone convinces you that you are wrongly giving them red rep.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Price will dictate this answer.

Exactly...

To sum this though up...Every year Polaris engineers are aware of areas to improve.... and each year they work to improve the sled.

It generally will not result in a different part number or something that looks a lot different... but those changes are there like SRX said above.

The 2016 had a stellar year, IMO... especially putting into context that it was a first year for a new chassis/engine combo.

Plainly... every new year of a given chassis for Polaris Mtn. sleds brings a more evolved/refined product... that is good for everyone...but it doesn't make the previous year obsolete to purchase.

Lets face it... these things are expensive... if you can find a 2016 for a good price...and you have the money and the desire to ride your new sled yet this season... get it... they seem to have proven themselves in the hands of the consumer this season.... You can save some money and put a little into some areas, like the A-arms, adjusting your TPS to be dead on ...or tailoring your handlebar package to fit YOU well.

Ride em people!!!
I'm stuck with 70hr work weeks most of this season... but hey... I'm building a better life for myself (hopefully) .

Premium Features