• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How old are the SnoWest forums?

CROW

Lifetime Membership
Jul 25, 2002
Michigan
How long had the old board been around? Were there any other versions before the Fusetalk board?

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Well I have only been a member since Jan. 2006 but from what I saw in Big Darrin's profile he has been a member since 1969 and has over 100,000 posts! LOL! Seriously, that is a good question and it would be interesting to know.

B
Dec 5, 1980
I believe that Himark is right. They started in 1999 and went through a couple of different versions. I remember setting up the first version. Then I moved away. They set up the last version after some sort of crash or something. Then I moved back, they hired me back, and here we are.

Darrin

K
Nov 26, 2007
PugetSound
I know there was some sort of message board in '97 because that is when I got out of college and got a real job and started surfing this site daily.

You didn't have to load a profile to post and people would/could post as another person. Hilarity ensued. Then there was something short lived then we had to register profiles which is about the time BigDarrin references.

By my count this is the fourth iteration

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
I was here in 2002 when I live in Penticton BC...under the name Thunderstruck890.....moved didn't have internet for a couple of years as I was on the road came home and came back in as H2SNOW

h2snowwons2h when banned or mindfreak ....pretty funny eh ???

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I was here in 98 or 99, sometime like that. I think this is the 4th version of this too. Like KWB said. Spent way too much time on this site over the years.

G

Gimpster

I began viewing the site in late 97. I believe then that it was a trail condition forum (based around Idaho ?). On dial up internet, YAHOO, if you typed in snowmobile in the search bar, you were able to get 4 or 5 results. Clicking on them and waiting for 5 to 10 minutes on an old 386 computer for a page to load was the normal. The first topic I posted to was "Boondocking or docking the boon". The message board was simular to a Yahoo Groups style lay-out. I remember another topic where everyone was exited because the message board had aquired 20 members, total. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this style of forum was adopted in 98. Yes, we had to log in. We lost all of our post totals a number of times as forum updates came about. Simular to this change, I lost all of my post counter again. Although I emailed them, I am starting at the bottom of the totum pole once again. Somewhere along 99 the forum expanded from general snowmobiling, for sale and trail condition sections to include fouled plug section. General Snowmobiling section had turned into a BS section so they added fouled plug. If you posted anything non sled related in general snowmobiling section, 20 people would jump your but, claiming you were a bad case of in-breading and so forth. Nobody could wait to get off work to get on the net and log onto snowest. When the site went down, you felt like someone shot your best dog. Around 2000 2001, the forum was huge and it took until all hours of the morning to read everything and catch up on the latest. 2002 I backed down from the forum and stayed in the background reading. Medical issues from knees, wrists, broken sternum, knocked out teeth and heart issues kept me from the sport/past time I lived for. Relocating for a job to flat land didn't help my mountain riding at all.
Sure don't hear much from Doug, Pumpkinpatch, Ox, IndyDan, Tetonice etc.. like we used to. Times have changed as well as this forum.

----- Gimpster -----

Premium Features