• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E-Mail Notification about New Posts to Subscribed Thread.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I don't use the chat box so no input there,

The biggest thing for me currently is accessing from the email notifications. Occasionally it takes me to the exact post I was notified about so I can read that and the newer than that posts.

But most of the time it takes me either to the very first post or some post in between, requiring me to tab pages to get to where I left off.

Using Safari from both my macbook and iphone, don't tapatalk or whatever that BS app is.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't use the chat box so no input there,

The biggest thing for me currently is accessing from the email notifications. Occasionally it takes me to the exact post I was notified about so I can read that and the newer than that posts.

But most of the time it takes me either to the very first post or some post in between, requiring me to tab pages to get to where I left off.

Using Safari from both my macbook and iphone, don't tapatalk or whatever that BS app is.

On your iPhone that "BS App" called TapaTalk would work a whole lot better than Safari. Be that as it may....

Just to be clear.
You are subscribing to a thread and asked for e-mail notifications of any post made to the thread. The notifications you are getting have embedded links that sometimes take you to the new post and sometimes take you to the original post in the thread.

Correct?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
On your iPhone that "BS App" called TapaTalk would work a whole lot better than Safari. Be that as it may....

Just to be clear.
You are subscribing to a thread and asked for e-mail notifications of any post made to the thread. The notifications you are getting have embedded links that sometimes take you to the new post and sometimes take you to the original post in the thread.

Correct?

Yes, Correct.

Call me stubborn but just don't want to learn another way of looking at the forum, Sarari works for both. I looked into tapatalk and it just seemed too disconnected and cumbersome in comparison.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes, Correct.

Call me stubborn but just don't want to learn another way of looking at the forum, Sarari works for both. I looked into tapatalk and it just seemed too disconnected and cumbersome in comparison.
I LIVE on my iPad and iPhone.
While Safari IS the better interface as it offers MORE control, TapaTalk is a MUCH cleaner streamlined app made for the small interface of your phone.

You would find it very easy and VERY fast to move around in the forums.
You will get the pure forum content and NOTHING else.....:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Regardless.
I will begin the process of trying to track down why you are getting errors in the notification e-mails now.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
For example the last two notification for the duck dynasty thread takes me to post #89? Four pages from where it should have gone. Here is the latest link;

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363048&goto=newpost

Thanks for looking into it.

After posting, if I click on it, it took me to post #99. Closed that page and clicked again, takes me to post #124. Closed that and clicked link again, took to post #149. Closed that and finally took me to the new post #173. Is this normal? I don't think so.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
For example the last two notification for the duck dynasty thread takes me to post #89? Four pages from where it should have gone. Here is the latest link;

http://snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363048&goto=newpost

Thanks for looking into it.

After posting, if I click on it, it took me to post #99. Closed that page and clicked again, takes me to post #124. Closed that and clicked link again, took to post #149. Closed that and finally took me to the new post #173. Is this normal? I don't think so.
I just clicked on it and it took me to post #170
The post number is NOT specified in the link itself.
Checking on how it determines where it lands you.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like it may be a timing issue involving your tracking cookie in your browser.

If your browser has a live cookie on it from SnoWest, and it is still logged into the forums and thread activity triggers an alert e-mail, then it will likely take you to the newest post since the last time you logged out/in.

This may also explain why if you keep clicking on the link it "walks" you forward in time until you reach the last post in the thread.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
JFYI: When clicking on the notification for your most recent post to this thread ( from my phone) it flashed the correct one and then went to the first post of this thread.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I looked at a pile of different support postings from vBulletin and none of them really directly addressed this issue.

If you are in front of a desktop PC.
Try logging in with a different browser when the next e-mail arrives, and see where that notification takes you?

There is a LOT of guessing going on right now.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
That will be in a week or so when I go back to work. My money does not support the Bill Gates Virus farm or the machines that run his crap.

Premium Features