• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best helmet communication?

K
Jan 30, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm looking into purchasing done radios for our helmets so we can communicate on rides? What do you guys use? What's the best? I spoke with chatterbox about the x1slim and it sounded pretty good but I want your guys feedback before I do it. Thanks

P

PoPoFusion

Sep 16, 2012
central michigan
chatterbox x1slim

The group i ride with use the x1slim.
they are great and they operate on the GMRS frequency so they can communicate with other handheld radios.

the bluetooth setup for a mp3/phone/gps works great.
battery life is great too!

we use them year round. we ride atv's on the trails in the off season.

P

PoPoFusion

Sep 16, 2012
central michigan
The range isn't quite what I had hoped for.
It is limited by the terrain. Best I've measured was about a mile through the woods. On a lake or in an open mountain area I think the range would be greatly increased.

They work great for my group because we don't get spread out very far.
We used to have handheld GMRS radios with a little more power that didn't do a heck of a lot better.
The x1slim is still a great solution in an super convenient package.
The voice activation works pretty good. There is a gain control to limit outside noise from activating it. But, there is a delay to get it to activate. If you just start talking your listeners will miss the first couple seconds of your comment.
For example; you might say "Oh Crap!!". They will probably only hear it key up.
I use the PTT 99% of the time.
The Bluetooth feature is very cool and easy to setup.

I have only used the x1slim on an ATV. But I have no reason to believe it will be any different on a snowmobile.

We bought 5 of them for $200 each. Shipped free.

Last edited:
M
Dec 3, 2008
Grande Prairie AB
we use the snowmobile kit from rugged radios, they are a vhf radio with helmet kit(mic and speakers) PTT button. range is great, and you can hear good even while cruising down the trail. radios are waterproof and we have about 15 riders with them so far. the more people that ride with us we just keep seeing more and more kits being purchased. http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=383_247

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have the chatterbox slim for me and my boy. I use the fm radio while I ride and the battery lasts for more than one ride. The distance is not as good as the hand helds for talking but u can talk while ur riding and leave both hands on the bars.
I got them because my boy doesn't follow directions very well. It has helped a lot. Now I can tell him what he needs to do while hes riding. That has prevented a lot of stucks and wrecks.
The bracket for the helmet is fine but the latch that hold the radio is kinda weak. Riding through the trees the branches will knock the radio loose. I put a velcro strap around the radio to keep it from flying from the branches.

D
Nov 29, 2007
Portage, MI
Wife and I use the X1Slim's with our sleds. I like them a lot better than the Collets, only problem we have with the X1's is the mic's freeze up on us. Have had this discussion either on this forum or Snowest, seems this only happens to us. All we do is stop, hold the mic on our hand then dry it off with a rag. This does not happen too often, almost acts like the battery is getting low, but even happens when the radios are plugged into the sled for power.

Derek

P.S. might just be me but the VOX does not work when Bluetooth is turned on and synced to my iPhone.

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
Cardo scala

I've used the g4 and now the g9 headsets nice because I can buy mounts for each different type of helmets I use and then just swap out the head unit, very nice and quick change over. plus you can do group talks one to one talking for private communications, lasts for a long time, used to charge it about once every couple of rides. works great and has Bluetooth that I sync with my phone for calls and music. a two headset system set runs about 285 on ebay new and syncing them together takes all of about 30 seconds.

H

hkollie

Apr 21, 2013
+1 chatterbox slim

just put 30 miles on the chatterbox slims using voice activated talk. really liked having communications. Voice activation had to be way down or it keyed up a lot. Overall very pleased.

Distance testing never exceeded 1 mile, out of line of sight, overhills etc.

Glad invested the $$

Premium Features