• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any way to make my gen 2 a better mountain sled?

E
Apr 1, 2010
I have a 2001 800 polaris 144 and I was looking for ideas to make it a better mountain sled. I took it out today and it was stuck almost constantly. It trenches nonstop. Im already thinking about upgrading to a challenger track and some better skis. Any other ideas? Its hard to afford a newer sled so Im trying to upgrade what I have.

C

cbc24

Nov 26, 2007
gp
how in the hell do you get stuck. i got a 1999 700 with a 136 and go anywhere i want except long hills gotta poach a lol. mines stays on top very good

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
there is alot of things you can do, but after you get done with them you might as well buy a newer sled. not trying to put you down but its true. I had a 01 800 rmk that I bought and I can almost run with the turbo's with it but it has well over 10 grand in parts making it this way. You can buy sleds that are done up with alot of stuff on them cheaper then trying to make yours that way

E
Apr 1, 2010
I like the 144 length for a mix of mountain and trail riding I do now. A 156 would probably overheat on trails right? Might just save for an assault next year then.

E
Apr 1, 2010
I got stuck because I was out of my parents back yard :face-icon-small-win. I was riding in windblown/sugar/wet snow combinations up to 4 feet deep. I was thinking of throwing a challenger underneath it. For some odd reason Id like to keep this sled instead of trading it.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
They didnt race them in Hill climb as long as they did for no reason. they can be made into very formidable mountain sleds. Parts now days a fairly cheap and easy to find.

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
Without a doubt do a drop and roll. They don't cost much at all, your just buying a template and a chaincase gaurd. VanAmburg Ent. makes a nice little kit for that sled. Out of all the money I threw at my old wedge that was the best thing I did for minimal expense.
I would sugest a Challenger 159 or Series IV at least. Stay away from the stock 156 tracks, they are garbage. Rail extensions and you're off and running.
You will be amazed at what the D&R and more track will do.

Hanging in there
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2009
somewhere in South East Idaho
I like the 144 length for a mix of mountain and trail riding I do now. A 156 would probably overheat on trails right? Might just save for an assault next year then.

I put a 156 x 2" on my 98 wedge and threw on a set of scratchers for the trail. Keeps it nice and cool and save the hyfax too. Goes great!!

montanagrizzly

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2010
Polson, MT
I have a 2001 800 polaris 144 and I was looking for ideas to make it a better mountain sled. I took it out today and it was stuck almost constantly. It trenches nonstop. Im already thinking about upgrading to a challenger track and some better skis. Any other ideas? Its hard to afford a newer sled so Im trying to upgrade what I have.

Nothin wrong with havin an older sled and buildin it the way you want it when you have the cash! Its what I have to do and when I have the cash I buy another part! No monthly payment.......and cheap parts! :)

E
Apr 1, 2010
Not very much a few trips this year to a few different places here in ak. Sled did great earlier in the season but had a rough time last weekend. Might be lack of expirience.

A

Andreas83

Feb 20, 2008
Norway
I put on a 159" track and skid from a edge vertical escape a couple of years ago.
Geared it down a couple teeths. Workes great. Still have it as a backup sled.
Throw on a handlebar riser too. Makes it easier to handle.
picture2491-tjenestgjor-fortsatt-som-backup-scooter.jpg

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
If you want to stay with the 144 then put a newer Polaris series4 144 on it. A much better track then the stocker. If you have some $ then an EDGE RMK 144 skid is a good upgrade.

Go through the clutches. New springs, and bushings go a long way. Drop the mains jets 2 sizes from what Polaris recommends for your temp/elevation. Gearing down 1 on top and going up 1 on the bottom will get you on the snow faster.

If you have limited experience then you will get stuck on ANYTHING in 4ft of sugar snow. Give it time, it takes many years to become good and some never "get it" no matter how many years they have been riding in Gods Country.

Premium Features