• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99 rmk no spark

L
Jan 28, 2011
talked to polaris dealer got specs on testing stator, seems like it tested within tolerance. my son rode the sled past 2 days never had a problem, went riding today with my other son and it stopped running 4 different times about every 200 yards it stopped. i unplugged key switch,kill switch,hand warmers, and main wiring harness to headlight, it started up and went about 1/2 mile.i opened the hood again and packed it full of snow around engine by rope pull and stator then it started up and we rode for 3 hours and it never missed a beat, what the heck is going on? also tried a cdi off my other 700 by swapping them and it worked on other sled.

Last edited:

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Have you checked out wiring? It sounds like you might have a short somewhere. I would also check the plug boots to make sure that the plug wires havent come loose from the plug boot itself. I had something similar to this happen and it turns out that that was the culprit.

T
Mar 6, 2008
It's the CDI box, I had this exact same thing happen to my 99 RMK. Unfortunately the CDI box cost like 300 dollars for these gen 2 sleds, unless you can somehow find it used. Good luck searching.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Take the first son again and leave the troublemaker one at home.:lol:

Seriously it sounds like you may have disturbed a wire around the stator area when you packed it full of snow. I would get a small mirror and look around in that area for bare or worn wires.

Premium Features