• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is it normal for 2013 primary to only last 3800miles ?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
in mountain riding you will only get 1500 to 2500 most times depending on the year of the clutch. 1500 for 2015 and back and 2500 for 2016 and up. flat land guy I would guess will about double that.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
That's not normal at all.

They usually fall apart way before that. You might want to get in touch with arctic cat, something is horribly wrong.

H
Feb 13, 2011
Over here
It probebly has been replaced before.

SO what to do now? Do i get the 0746-435 primery as it comes with stock or is there any better ones to get that doesnt cost way to much ?

D
Aug 18, 2014
Hellingham,wa
Big red rider has the primary you need for sale in the swap meet. Brand new from slp. Has around 100 miles on it. He has a 15 proclimb and upgraded to the 18 clutches. If you can afford to upgrade to the 18 on up clutches, that’s the way to go but I think you’d be over a grand with all the parts you would need.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I would consider a '17 clutch. should work with your secondary? they work great and have nice low engagement which you could (and should) tune easily with a glide washer kit from thunder products. same 083 belts work great if thats what you're using.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
You ended up getting almost 4000 miles. That is fantastic. Get the same clutch and use the same setup. I would recommend fresh weights and springs. Maybe rebuild secondary. A poor setup can eat those clutches up in 500 miles. Why mess with success. Rinse and repeat

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Check with the Axys guys, 200-300 miles on clutch rollers if ridden hard in the mountains. I made it 700 miles on my old Axys sled, clutch locked up on the trail, needed rebuilt or replaced.

The pre '16 Cat clutches are pretty well know to only go 1500 miles between major services/replacement.

Clutches just do not last a long time doing serious mtn riding. I am in and out of the throttle constantly which is a lot of work for the primary to keep up with. Trail riding definitely gives a lot longer life but 3800 miles on a mtn ridden sled is almost unheard of. I would have most of the machine destroyed if I tried to keep it that long... My rule is trade by 2500, or two seasons, every season if I can. Had to switch to Cat since the Polaris is only a one season sled for me.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
It's the rollers that can take out a Cat clutch early. They are not easy to replace and the process of replacing them can compromise the entire clutch (lots of heat and torque applied to remove primary nut). And, IMO, the Cat clutches have very poor material selection for those rollers. There are many known material combinations that last forever for a plain bearing surface (hardened bronze rollers with a hard steel pin).

So, if you have a bad weight, or debris or something causes a roller to go, you are out a primary clutch...because the bad roller usually wrecks the bushing, etc. And may even distort the entire clutch.

Want to see a good primary? Look at Yamaha. Replaceable rollers, good materials and correctly sized bearing surfaces.

Premium Features