• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leather riding gloves??

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone use them if so what ones i have a diamond s hood so the hands get alot of wind dont like hand guard.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i know someone else is making them for Cat..don;t know who..
but the cat leather gloves i have found to be very very good..

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I have a pair of cat leather gloves but I don't wear them for snowmobiling. They are not very warm. I wear pinnacle gloves from cabela's, best I've found.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Jackson, WY
In the past I've been a bit of a glove whore and tried all the spendy stuff, but as of last year here's my game:

1) Get 2 or 3 pairs of Kinco work gloves for $10 a shot - http://www.qcsupply.com/kincor-insulated-pigskin-driving-gloves.html
2) Get a jar of Sno-seal for $5-15 - http://www.campmor.com/sno-seal-original-beeswax-waterproofing-jar.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=10603WC&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
3) Hold a heat gun between your knees, facing upwards
4) Put the gloves on and grab a gob of Sno-seal and lather it on like hand lotion, keeping the leather hot with the gun.
5) When it's all absorbed in, while the gloves are still hot, squeeze something handlebar-size until they cool. Now they are "pre-curved" and the knuckles are punched out to your size.

I do this twice and they're as water/windproof as anything. The insulation is cheap so it packs out in the palm which is great for grip, plus it's sewn in (unlike many ski/sled specific gloves) so the layers don't slide on each other and require more clamping strength. I bring 2 extra pairs on every ride and change them out as they get damp from sweat. Plus they're only $10, so I don't worry about them getting ripped/dirty/burnt.

***Bonus tip! Work gloves + permanent marker = craft project! What else are you going to do when there's no snow and it gets dark at 5:00?***

kincos.jpg

MT Backcountry

Lifetime Membership
Aug 29, 2008
Montana
Leather Gloves

Ive used Cat leather gloves for years only when its COLD COLD. 10 degrees F or colder, they are too warm for me, otherwise, with no windshield and same hood. They are also about 15 or 20 years old with no tears or cracks, Cat leather glove are awesome. IMOP

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Ive used Cat leather gloves for years only when its COLD COLD. 10 degrees F or colder, they are too warm for me, otherwise, with no windshield and same hood. They are also about 15 or 20 years old with no tears or cracks, Cat leather glove are awesome. IMOP

Mine are only 3 years old and they are not warm at all. for $80 they should have been good.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
mine are way hot...i have to change the cat ones over to my klims in the warmer temps....i had a pair of cat ones for about 9 years and got another set a year ago and they are the same great glove..

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
mine are way hot...i have to change the cat ones over to my klims in the warmer temps....i had a pair of cat ones for about 9 years and got another set a year ago and they are the same great glove..

Then I got a screw job by Ken's. A friend bought the same ones I did and his hands froze too! They must have stuck a cat label on a pair of knock offs. Look good though!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I like the feel of leather gloves while riding as well. I found the True North Adventure Storm gloves were great fro riding. The were very thin but had a thin layer of gortex (or a gortex like product) with wind blocker. They let you keep the feel you are searching for and your hands warm and dry. The problem is, they changed their design recently and I'm not sure they feel the same.

Here are their new replacement storm gloves.

http://tagear.us/store.php?crn=223&rn=464&action=show_detail

Here are some left over older style Storm gloves. This is the style you are looking for with leather palms.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/true-north-adventure-gear-storm-glove.aspx?a=393306

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I just got a pair of Motorfist redline gloves and they are awesome

very happy with them , but haven't tested them in the snow yet, but look and feel is great

snowmoherb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle - ish
www.butterfieldplumbing.com
I use the Motor-Fist leather ones. My hand tend to get too hot, but these are just about right. Sometimes in the spring or early season I just use the work gloves with the nitrile palms and the stretchy fabric on the backs...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Anyone use them if so what ones i have a diamond s hood so the hands get alot of wind dont like hand guard.

did you look at the skinz handguards..??..they are not your normal handguard and you might be interested in them...5 second install and 5 second take off

F
Dec 10, 2007
Yellowknife, NWT
You guys to wear out the palms on your leathers? I wear anything thats got that Gortex material bit pricey but worth every penny in my eyes and carry some mechanic gloves for the warmer weather.
I found CAT has been horrible and cheap with there gloves over the last 5 years ( I know my aunt buys me a new pair every season just for me to wear out) and the stitching keeps coming apart on mine. I have three season on my gloves now there FXR I believe.

Premium Features