• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to Hang with the 1100t

J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
So my two riding buddies snocheck ne 1100t pro's. Will my beloved 09' M1k be able to hang with them in the real steep and deep powder. It has a full SLP exhaust and has been on a diet all summer long. I am thinking about going with a 3" track to even it up some. We ride from Sea level to 6000ft so loosing HP is not a problem. Am I in trouble?:face-icon-small-fro

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
So my two riding buddies snocheck ne 1100t pro's. Will my beloved 09' M1k be able to hang with them in the real steep and deep powder. It has a full SLP exhaust and has been on a diet all summer long. I am thinking about going with a 3" track to even it up some. We ride from Sea level to 6000ft so loosing HP is not a problem. Am I in trouble?:face-icon-small-fro

If you aren't in trouble your buddies are gonna be some grumpy when you get back to the hotel.:face-icon-small-win

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT

Only a guesstimate, but I would bet that you would take them at sea level...but there's no hills to climb at sea level. I would bet that they would take you at 6k feet.

J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
Only a guesstimate, but I would bet that you would take them at sea level...but there's no hills to climb at sea level. I would bet that they would take you at 6k feet.

Exact opposite. Coast of Alaska we ride from sea level and within about 45 minutes we are at 6000ft.

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I'd say you'll be close to them in climbing maybe beat them at that elevation. Put a 3" track on and dominate the climbs! Drag racing I'd say they will kill you at both low and high elevations. Thats just a guess tho!

J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
I was just going to say, the mountains in Alaska come right out of the sea and you can be up to elevation in one climb. I think you'll do just fine with the M1000 against the new sleds...miss riding up in AK and the power at sea level

It is pretty cool to gain 2700ft in one chute, but these new 1100's have got me a little nervous. I am sure they will leave them stock at least for the first year. Maybee I should just order the 3" and not worry about it. I am not good enough at tuning to put a turbo on mine.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland

This pic is taken in 900 meters. Those peaks at right go up to 1800 meters and lake down there is at 250 meters. Place is in Sweden :)
j__rvi.jpg

Here's another from Sweden. Pic taken around 1000m and peak opposite goes up to 1800m.
main.php

I wouldn't waste the coin on a 3 inch track, go ride with them and see how your sled hangs and go from there. If its that big of a difference (I doubt it will be) and it really bums you out upgrade next year. Also I think your right about not getting a turbo for AK. From my understanding of turbos and elevation you'd have to run a real high octane gas to run it at lower elevations and would still have to run it at low lbs of boost. It wouldn't be worth the turbo kit and gas money. But I could be totally wrong about this, I just know theres not a lot of guys running turbo 2strokes in AK, and especially since your riding up there where you rarely exceed 7k in elevation your not losing that much power from a naturally aspirated motor vs the guys riding out west where we are starting our ride at 6-7k and spending most of our time at 9k-11k

At least you can admit that you aren't comfortable tuning a turbo sled, especially if your out of Valdez. It might be a little hard to get things dialed in without some guys with experience with similar set-ups running around (seems like half the sleds in the mountains out west here are on boost now days) and without a dealer for the turbo kit nearby you very well may end up spending more time and money on tuning, waiting for parts/emails/info and burning down pistons than riding. Winter is short enough already to be out a week or 2 here and there for sled problems.

If anything get a fuel controller, get your clutching dialed in and maybe change your gearing if you haven't already. You should be able to make an M1000 an honest 190-198hp machine at sea level while keeping it naturally aspirated.

Keep us posted though on how yours and your buddies sleds compare.

Last edited:
J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
I wouldn't waste the coin on a 3 inch track, go ride with them and see how your sled hangs and go from there. If its that big of a difference (I doubt it will be) and it really bums you out upgrade next year. Also I think your right about not getting a turbo for AK. From my understanding of turbos and elevation you'd have to run a real high octane gas to run it at lower elevations and would still have to run it at low lbs of boost. It wouldn't be worth the turbo kit and gas money. But I could be totally wrong about this, I just know theres not a lot of guys running turbo 2strokes in AK, and especially since your riding up there where you rarely exceed 7k in elevation your not losing that much power from a naturally aspirated motor vs the guys riding out west where we are starting our ride at 6-7k and spending most of our time at 9k-11k

At least you can admit that you aren't comfortable tuning a turbo sled, especially if your out of Valdez. It might be a little hard to get things dialed in without some guys with experience with similar set-ups running around (seems like half the sleds in the mountains out west here are on boost now days) and without a dealer for the turbo kit nearby you very well may end up spending more time and money on tuning, waiting for parts/emails/info and burning down pistons than riding. Winter is short enough already to be out a week or 2 here and there for sled problems.

If anything get a fuel controller, get your clutching dialed in and maybe change your gearing if you haven't already. You should be able to make an M1000 an honest 190-198hp machine at sea level while keeping it naturally aspirated.

Keep us posted though on how yours and your buddies sleds compare.

Thanks a lot. Sounds like good advice. I dont have to be on top just don't like holding everyone up. I think the clutches are dialed in real good (after puting in MDS weights (91.5 gr), the sled makes good power. I have read pros and cons about gearing and have left it stock (60/60) and also left the Helix stock(36 deg). Maybe there is more to gain there if I need to.

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Thanks a lot. Sounds like good advice. I dont have to be on top just don't like holding everyone up. I think the clutches are dialed in real good (after puting in MDS weights (91.5 gr), the sled makes good power. I have read pros and cons about gearing and have left it stock (60/60) and also left the Helix stock(36 deg). Maybe there is more to gain there if I need to.

You won't hold them up for sure. I'd think the difference will be very small, and I love the idea of diving off into the trees. I ride a nicely modded non-turboed M8, and when the turbo's start poking a hill I just go find some trees and rip it up in there until they are ready to move on to the next bowl. I have a 162 M8 SP ProClimb snow checked, but I think I'm just gonna stick with my M for one more year and pick up a nicely modded ProClimb next year that has a year of tuning under it's belt.:thumb:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

If you havent put extra motor mounts in they will help and raise your rpm so you can add more weight and more power to the ground

J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
If you havent put extra motor mounts in they will help and raise your rpm so you can add more weight and more power to the ground

I have installed two additional motor mounts but not a torque stop. Do you think I should be swinging more weight. Its pretty steady at 7450-7600.

J

jakim

Sep 23, 2009
I had the dealer install them when I bought it. I think it is just the m7 mounts. The only one that I have noticed is on the fron case of the block that you access from removeing the belly pan. Not sure where the other one is. I have been running the 060 belt and getting about 450 miles on a belt.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I think you would benefit from the linderman mount. I tried the 060 but the way I am constantly in the throttle for minutes the 060 gets to sticky and pulls down the performance, I would prob run the 046, but it takes a little more weight to get the rpms down.

Premium Features