• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for info on moving the track back on 01 summit 800x

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
I would like to know what is involved and the mesurment to move the track back to correct the approch angle problems the 01 sleds have. Lookin for mesurments and info to keep my 144 but correct the angle.
A clear pic would be awsome as i am fairly visual. I serched and did not find anything that did not contradict what someone else had said.
Thanx in advance.
Myles

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
keeping the 144 was my hope......this was what i was hoping was gonna be free and easy. Is it not possible on account of the newer machines using the newer shorter skid length? What i have read made it sound like the drop on the front changes the angle as well? This is why i was hoping for some clarity.

Thanx

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
Unless you have an accordion rear suspension it's not possible.
You can put in a 136 suspension by moving it back 4" and keep your 144 or you can use your 144 suspension move it back 3 1/2" and put a 151 on it.
If you try it the way you want to, please take a video of it. :face-icon-small-hap

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
Well i belive in good entertainment , but it sounds kinda like you have the right idea so i will spare the destructive vid :face-icon-small-ton.....so i need to find a 151 track first? , All things aside, do you have the measuments i need if i find the track? is the pitch of the track 2.86 or are these sleds different? Where can i look or how do i measure to get that info? these thigs are so fun , but now i have so much to learn as sleds are just so different then anything i have delt with before. Oh can fit a 16 inch track too? And what is the most paddle i can fit in this thing?

Thanx

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
I have done set backs on 5 or 6 of them.
The hardest part in my opinion are the rear drop brackets.
I have replaced them with new aluminum and welded on to the existing ones.
Where are you located? I have 2 151x15x2 - 2.52 pitch sitting here, one in good shape, the other not so much.
And yes a 16 wide will fit, 2" is max lug unless you change to smaller drivers.
Your machine stock is 2.52 pitch

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
Im on Vancouver Island in BC eh! IT is fun here, but we could use a tad more snow. What size driver would i have to change too, or would a drop and role be a better soloution? I never mind a project, hell i might like changin em more then riding em. Obviuosly cheap or free mods are a plus for me. Any idea what that track weights? Shipping is nasty over the boarder , but i have an importer set up to take advantage of cheap shipping in the states. Might as well give me a price too. Thanx you have been very helpfull and i really appreciate the advice. Btw i already have drop brakets on the stern of this thing to get the track to land flat to the ground i had to let the limit strap out all the way. and it seems to just reach with the stock shock. Any ideas if i am setting myself up for some nasty handling? would droping the front mount 3/4 help this? as usual thanx
Myles

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
I will get one of mine inside to thaw out to get measurements and maybe some pictures. I have 6 of them that have had it done.
Ya, I know why so many?... I take my kids to the mountains and I have 5 kids.
Plus I take one spare and a spare motor and lots of other spare parts. Not much ruins a trip more than having a machine go down when you have traveled 1000+ miles one way and no way to fix it.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
8 tooth drivers
Mods needed to install a 16 wide.
Rev chaincase bolts. The heads are shorter. Or grind them down.
Turn 2 screws around in footwell. 1 on each side. Nut outward.
On some there are 2 rivets up forward con top of tunnel that hit the center lug. Remove or notch track. Once its in, take it for a ride and then you will see where the rivets rub. Bring a pair of small dimes.
Notch rear drop brackets or swap for rev drops. Zx have ribs, revs are flat. Tunne ez mod to do.ls are the same width.
With these adjustments you can put a 16*2.25*2.52 pitch. Did it to my 01.
Brightstar on here has it now.

Last edited:
A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
8 tooth drivers
Mods needed to install a 16 wide.
Rev chaincase bolts. The heads are shorter. Or grind them down.
Turn 2 screws around in footwell. 1 on each side. Nut outward.
On some there are 2 rivets up forward con top of tunnel that hit the center lug. Remove or notch track. Once its in, take it for a ride and then you will see where the rivets rub. Bring a pair of small dimes.
Notch rear drop brackets or swap for rev drops. Zx have ribs, revs are flat. Tunne ez mod to do.ls are the same width.
With these adjustments you can put a 16*2.25*2.52 pitch. Did it to my 01.
Brightstar on here has it now.

you fit this stock or was this with the track relocation? next questiond was there a drop and role as well? What drivers come on the sleds stock?

a real quick fix to fix that track approach angle is that front arm on the skid move those bolts up a bout an inch, inch half or so, Bret Rasmussen did this on his brand new skidoo xm.
I have an 02 the angle is already on those and I put 7tooth drivers and a 153 maverick track on it and love it, you can pick up a maverick for usually couple hundred or so and then drivers for 1-1/8 shaft just wherever you can find them at.

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
a real quick fix to fix that track approach angle is that front arm on the skid move those bolts up a bout an inch, inch half or so, Bret Rasmussen did this on his brand new skidoo xm.
I have an 02 the angle is already on those and I put 7tooth drivers and a 153 maverick track on it and love it, you can pick up a maverick for usually couple hundred or so and then drivers for 1-1/8 shaft just wherever you can find them at.
are you talking about the front arm lower point or upper point? the lower point is at the top of the track and would require me to make extention brackets. would moving the lower shock/spring mounting bolt up an inch not lower the front part of the skid too? Or of course just redril the upper mounting point on the front arm down a 3/4-1 inch do the same thing?

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've been busy.
The set back that I did was 3 1/2" back and 3/4" down.
Add a piece of aluminum to the outside of the tunnel to match the thickness of the original mount hole. Also on the inside of the tunnel there is a small plate that you can move from the original to the new mount hole.
You will want to measure your skid bolt holes center to center as it sits level on the floor and move your rear drop brackets to match. I went with a 4 1/2- 5" drop.
You will probably need to add a tunnel extension.
I will let the better 151 go for $100.00, you work out shipping. Can get you pics if interested.

To haul my kids and machines I have a 32' open trailer that I put up to 8 machines on pulled by my Excursion or my buddies 6 door Dodge. Both seat 8 people.

K

khagge

Nov 23, 2011
i set the skid back with out changing the track or skid i just moves it back and down a half an inch i took out the angled running boards that sit below the front skid bold and put a flat plate in front of the secondary clutch and gear box i also milled down my axle made my own two wheel kit and filed down the sharp edge on the back of the track adjusters so its rounded not at an angle.

A

attatoy

Nov 19, 2012
Vancouver Island B.C.
i set the skid back with out changing the track or skid i just moves it back and down a half an inch i took out the angled running boards that sit below the front skid bold and put a flat plate in front of the secondary clutch and gear box i also milled down my axle made my own two wheel kit and filed down the sharp edge on the back of the track adjusters so its rounded not at an angle.

You got any pics of these said mods? when you say file down the track adjusters do you mean the bolts where they touch the axle?

Again thanx to all of you guys! :present:

Premium Features