• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Snowmobile should I buy??

J
Jun 12, 2018
Hello everyone! first of all im new here, happy to join this community. The question i was coming to ask is about my new snowmobile in getting this october. I aim for skidoo and Rev gen 4 especially. Ive been looking at summits, Renegades and that stuff, but one that seems good is the Renegade backcountry X 850 etec 146" 2018 one.
i equally ride in the deep snow and trails, as we have alot of trails in finland. the price im getting here is around 15k Euros. So is the renegade backcountry X threat or possibility? I love how summit feels in hand, Havent tried backcountry yet 'cause its located about 500 miles south of where i live.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Normally this question would get a LOT of answers.
But in the summer its a little quiet here on SnoWest.
So it might take a few days to get some comments.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Trails are only for the ride up the mountain, get a summit and ditch the trails. If your still going to ride trails though a summit is not a good choice they are ment for tits deep pow not trails.

While the summits are absolutely designed for POWDER, they work just fine on the trail getting you to and from the POW POW.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
In western Canada we don't see many sleds shorter than a 154. Maybe the shorter sleds are okay on the trail but they won't work in real deep snow. Depends if your snow is 2ft. deep and hard packed or 10 ft.and bottomless.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In western Canada we don't see many sleds shorter than a 154. Maybe the shorter sleds are okay on the trail but they won't work in real deep snow. Depends if your snow is 2ft. deep and hard packed or 10 ft.and bottomless.

What kind of snow do they get in Finland??

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I ride my Summit 165 on the trails with my wife and back and forth to my cabin. It does fine. The suspension works very well. You can't do much more than 70-80km/h in tight twisty trails, but you can do what you want and go where you want off trail. I'll take that trade off.. If I wanted a little more of a trail friendly sled I'd go with the S-38 Freeride. Its not as narrow as my summit (38 vs 36 inches wide) it has better shocks to soak up the big bumps, and it has a 154x2.5 track that can still get the job done off trail. The 146 is a good off trail sled if you don't want to be doing technical lines on steep and deep hills.. You can make do and get around.. but its not ideal for most off trail scenarios.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
The Freeride is a great sled for what you are talking about. 154 is a great all around track especially is you aren’t a heavy rider, say 70-80 kilos. If your snow is tending to be not too deep. 2’ or less on top of a good hard base don’t be afraid of a 146 or even 137 if they still make it. With the shorter tracks in deep snow it’s way more dependent on rider skill though.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Its never the same, usually around 5 ft deep and rarely bottomless powder
I tried to go and look up riding in Finland and found VERY FEW articles.
Mostly just advertisements for tours.

So 5 feet of BASE and some powder on top of it?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Don’t let anyone scare you off from a 146, especially if you are a lighter rider and aren’t likely to get that many super deep snow days.

It seems that lately everyone thinks that a 175 is necessary no matter where you ride...

Premium Features