• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha Silber turbo

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Bad bog on stock sled. That’s unusual.

On mine, so the initial low end bog that would just not go away (almost like lost a plug) I chalked it up to capping off, but it would do it when I didn’t believe there was enough snow there to cap off. Then even after clearing snow away it would continue to do it for a bit. There were a couple times I shut it off and let it sit for a while before going again. Going to watch it closely and see if I can figure out the common demonintor in snow conditions, situation, etc before I make a stink about it to CAT. I should say this did not happen at all on my first ride out in Rabbit Ears (really good snow, lots of powder), but did it a lot in West on my second ride. I changed plugs now and we’ll see if that makes any difference. Outside of the very defined times this bog happened, it ran perfect from bottom to top. So it’s kind of weird.

The 165 I rented was on an over your head powder kind of day. It appeared the intakes where packing full on top and sides so no air could get in. It would fall off its rev into a hard bog or just never come out of it till you stopped, cleared the snow, waited a bit, and went (don’t know if one or all part’s of that process were needed, that’s just what I did every time). The rental was definitely more pronounced than my sled and did it in different situations.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
How much of this bog is the sled choking off itself. I have a 100% stock Alpha and have had some (not all) of the same issues that are being stated in here. The 165 I rented was terrible. About flew over the bars a couple times because it just bogged out. My sled has only been hard bog off the bottom where it just doesn’t want to go.

I rode my alpha 160 miles in about 4 different rides before putting my turbo on. Absolutely no lag or bog in stock form, very crisp.
I wouldn’t count your vents getting plugged up with super deep, over the hood, in your face, can’t see snow. That’s happened on my 850 doo, axys and cat when the vents get powder covered.

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The most common reason OEM sleds have bogs is related to the airbox (hood) behidn the front bumper often separates from impacts. I could see this being a very likely culprit on a rental sled. Snow ingestion in dryer powder conditions creates all sorts of bogs. We had some major issues with this on the 18's last year with all different parts of the intake.

The turbo intake pretty much completely eliminates the likelihood of this happening especially since the Alpha has the upgraded intake screens that screw together.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
How long do u think the turbo will last with no BOV?

BD and Silber both don't use BOVs. These turbos see maybe 10,000 miles in some rare instances. That isn't even close to the amount of usage required to cause center sections to fail.

To add, most of these BOVs were not even functional in the first place, either partially opening or not opening at all.

Finally, we aren't talking about 30psi traveling back through the compressor. More like 6-10.

End of the day, the juice is 100% not worth the squeeze on that one.

Blaming the cvt for poor turbo engine performance is laughable.
"A good rider will quickly learn......." That statement is an insult. If you have to change the way you ride to compensate for poor turbo performance, it's a turbo issue, not a rider issue.
How bout "a good turbo company that has sold 1000's of turbos will be able to quickly tune and clutch their kits to perfection."
You need to learn how to clutch and tune properly and stop spreading incorrect information.
It's obvious by your post that you have minimal clutching experience and it's prolly best if you stop trying to blame silbers failures on outside factors. There are lots of turbos that are great down low. Force turbos work well. Burandt's work just fine. Maybe have a listen to Redline's sleds in low end driveability. No problems there.
Your theories and advice are a joke.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Got to agree here. I know its a different platform, but My Vohk tuned Axxy BD Sidekick 800 is flawless. Bottom end feels stock like and power delivery is smooth.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Got to agree here. I know its a different platform, but My Vohk tuned Axxy BD Sidekick 800 is flawless. Bottom end feels stock like and power delivery is smooth.

That platform was the best I've seen for bottom end. Reason? Lightest production crank we've ever seen in an 800 2 stroke sled.

I have ridden many BDs on HO motors, they spool quick! But its a far cry from the snap a NA motor makes. For fun, do a drag race to 20 feet. See who wins...

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
diesels dont have BOV. so awhile?? i would guess.

True but diesels don’t have throttle body slamming shut while lines are pressured. They are taking same amount of air volume at idle as full throttle.
But yea not running 35 psi boost.. 5-7 psi worth of turbo flutter hopefully won’t bother it.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
as I understand with first mapping is that engine idled higher cause it was leaner down low but was it more responsive then then the latest flash that is rich on bottom end now? Or did it still bog leaner too? Imagine u can adjust timing with full control of ecu.. what about adding a little timing to just bottom end to clean it up? Don’t know if that’s possible. But I remember having a 05 f7 that was always rich and sometimes slightly boggy on bottom end till rpms came up and it cleaned up being all stock engine. I added a 1.5 timing key and it cleaned the bottom end up 100%.

K
Nov 13, 2013
Squamish BC
as I understand with first mapping is that engine idled higher cause it was leaner down low but was it more responsive then then the latest flash that is rich on bottom end now? Or did it still bog leaner too? Imagine u can adjust timing with full control of ecu.. what about adding a little timing to just bottom end to clean it up? Don’t know if that’s possible. But I remember having a 05 f7 that was always rich and sometimes slightly boggy on bottom end till rpms came up and it cleaned up being all stock engine. I added a 1.5 timing key and it cleaned the bottom end up 100%.

YES the high idle flash was quicker to respond.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
YES the high idle flash was quicker to respond.

Hmm. Be interesting to see what some extra timing would do just down low. But not sure if possible in the ecu. Maybe the silber guys could chime in.

snopro11

Premium Member
Nov 13, 2009
Bov

How many of y’all are using a bov on your silber ctec2? I have a bov for it but it runs so damn good I may not even put it on.

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
So got my silber setup out on the snow for the first time today. WOW it really rips! Pulls super hard and not boggy at all, I got my setup from Collin @ cycles and sleds as well and went with his specific clutching and bov and boost t to adjust boost. I was running 7 psi gauge verified with three gallons of 110 added to 91. This kit is everything I hoped it would be and more! The on off on throttle response is spot on and back shift is great very useable power. Engagement is right at 3400 like stock and putting through the trees at 3800-5000 it never missed a beat and felt as close to stock as I thought it should. Can’t say enough about it maybe I just got lucky but my kit rips and I couldn’t be happier!

b80cd1da0c1ea47c8ba02fdfdcc55d71.jpg
8b3a162b41290ed719b9f38217cbcd66.jpg
148179c97250e8204081f27dbda4fe02.jpg
4c4d6d16a09a167a8a94a33e83f15ffe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idacatman2

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, ID
On a side note have you guys ever looked at the exhaust temperature gauge in the cluster since the turbo I was running maxed out at 1750ish before turbo I was solid I the 1200 range just wondering if this is normal. Sled ran great and never missed a beat.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
On a side note have you guys ever looked at the exhaust temperature gauge in the cluster since the turbo I was running maxed out at 1750ish before turbo I was solid I the 1200 range just wondering if this is normal. Sled ran great and never missed a beat.

What does air inlet temp look like compared to stock? Setup looks good.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I got a chance to ride the updated tune today. Way better , but still far from the perfection and response of the Poo & Doo tunes. Sounds blubbery on the bottom, but doesn’t really feel like it. Maybe it’s way fat and there’s unburnt fuel in the pipe? At least now It idles right, goes into reverse and starts on the first pull. Closer, but still not right. I hope they keep tuning.

Premium Features