• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Removable snow flap reviews?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've got one sitting on the bench here, but wanted to know if there were any drawbacks before I cut up a perfectly good $150 snowflap.

Thanks in advance.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
I have one on my 2017, take it off once off the trail and stash it with the gas can, put it on for the ride back on the trail and don't throw ice at anyone I may pass on the way.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
I've got one sitting on the bench here, but wanted to know if there were any drawbacks before I cut up a perfectly good $150 snowflap.

Thanks in advance.
No drawbacks. It's a solid product. Durable and versatile. I remove the flap to unload and when in the powder. I put it on for trail riding to keep the temps down. It works great!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
I was a little apprehensive to buy mine. Thought it looked gimmicky. But after riding in the deep with the flap removed, it is noticeably better with it removed. Snow flap hanging back there is dragging or hanging the tunnel when the track is trying to cut deep. definitely worth the 100 bucks. I have heard of the flat lander's that do wheelies all day breaking the tail light mounting bracket portion. But, I ride hills. Good buy

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
It’s a great idea. For kicks on a deep day ride it both ways back and forth. It’s pretty obvious that the sled can dig a lititle deeper and “escape” from a stick with the flap off that would stop you with the flap on. I want to figure out how to do something similar on my Alpha. I rode with the flap on the tunnel for 6-8 rides mid season last year and NEVER put in on. I was getting cocky thinking I could leave it in the trailer and I had a day with a hard icy trail and the sled got hot fast. I couldn’t get it to cool off even jumping off the trail into softer snow so I finally put it on.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
They work well, for all the reasons above.

My two favorite parts are the obvious advantages when backing off a loading ramp (not getting the flap all chewed up) as well as the deep snow performance. Just one less thing to deal with when you’re sled is augered in real good n deep. I do think it’s a bit harder to get stuck without a flap back there hanging up the sled, but hey, we sledders will always find a way to push it till it’s stuck. Lol

GolfPineAcres

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Great addition for the above reasons. I might add that I'm the most skeptical on new "gimmicky" add ons. My experience on the trail is that I rarely need to throw it back on. Also, if you have ever watched an RMK, they tend to throw more ice and snow with the snowflap on than my 3 in does with it removed. Just a casual observation.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Aren’t all snow flaps removeable???
(Tongue in cheek)
Honestly, I don’t see much use for snowflaps in the mountains. Have run several sleds without and not sure what the downside is.
Cooling? The amount of snow trapped and dropping back on the track to hit coolers and hyfax is minimal compared to a set of scratchers which are pretty much required equipment on hard pack.
Protection for the next rider in line?
If you’re getting pelted, back off. Just rode with a couple new doos with full snow flaps. I knew when I was too close on the trail because the snowballs started to hurt!

One thing snow flaps are great at is getting in the way when stuck. I’ll concede to that !

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Great addition for the above reasons. I might add that I'm the most skeptical on new "gimmicky" add ons. My experience on the trail is that I rarely need to throw it back on. Also, if you have ever watched an RMK, they tend to throw more ice and snow with the snowflap on than my 3 in does with it removed. Just a casual observation.

This is a gimmick for sure. But lots of things are. Whatever keeps people spending their money on the industry I’m in favor of.
As far as one brand throwing more snow than others???
This is as silly as chain case porting discussions!
Fwiw I got a quick beat down behind a 3” doo with snowflap when I got too close. No differnet than any other imo.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
On my third one...not because I have my third new sled. The plastic tunnel mounted piece is weak at best. Had a sled "bump" me from behind breaking the tunnel mount. Probably what happened the second time but it takes very little "Bump" to break it and you can't buy just that piece. If Ski-doo would offer it that way it would be a great product. As it is, works great as it's designed. I am just not that sold on the durability.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
On my third one...not because I have my third new sled. The plastic tunnel mounted piece is weak at best. Had a sled "bump" me from behind breaking the tunnel mount. Probably what happened the second time but it takes very little "Bump" to break it and you can't buy just that piece. If Ski-doo would offer it that way it would be a great product. As it is, works great as it's designed. I am just not that sold on the durability.

The backer plate is definitely not as pliable plastic as the flap.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The snow flap works great, the Linq brackets on the Skidoo Slim Waterproof tunnel back on the other hand.....

One has already pulled out of the holes and made a mess of things. I guess nobody tested getting a sled unstuck when the flap was on the bag. It really needs a way to keep the flap from getting caught when rolling or flipping the sled over backwards.

Once I get home, I'm going to make backing plates to reinforce the mounting of the flap to the bag and figure out how to fasten the rear most section to something to keep this from happening again.

Premium Features