• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800CFI (Dragon) issues - Stall/Kill at idle

T
Dec 26, 2009
Background:
2008 Dragon 800 - 600 miles
Low compression
Idled, wouldn't rev past about 3200 rpm, could unload from the trailer, went into reverse, but no more than that.

Dealer checked it out, compression at 95psi per cyl, stopped when they determined that fuel pressure was low (20psi).

Got the sled back, replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Now the issue is worse, won't idle at all.
Will pull, turn over and fire for a couple seconds. If you touch the throttle, dies.

When I disconnect the TMAP sensor on the airbox, idles for considerably longer, but eventually dies.

Took it to a diff dealer. They stopped testing when determined that psi was 89 and 90. Said it needed to have good compression and running to test further.

New Volt Reg, new RKTek piston kit and a new throttle body boot. Cleaned the reeds and the tb's. By luck, got it to rev up a couple of times and keep it going just short of clutch engagement. Second the throttle is let off, no reviving back up to RPM.

Any thoughts?

T
Dec 26, 2009
Checked last night and kinda beside myself right now.

Unfortunately, after having my local dealer hone the cyls, and installing the RKTek pistons, I'm still at 90 psi both sides.

Dealer not check for out of round? Could the cyls be that bad? Rings just not seated yet? Ring gap too big? (top ring .021 and bottom .020)

One would think that the engine would still run, just not have much for power, even at that low psi.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Compression gauge... get a different one or compare with this one to a known good sled. Compression gauges work by using a spring, they are NOT precise. That is why the rule is if both cylinders are within 10% of each other and not stupid low then it isn't compression.

I have 2 gauges, one reads 90psi and the other 130 psi on the same motor.

So first thing is to try your gauge on another motor. What did the pistons you took out look like?

I'd be looking back over everything you took loose to redo the motor and fuel pump, make sure you don't have a broken wire or loose plug or something.

sled_guy

Premium Features