• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tkuss's 2015 Summit T-3 Mods/Ride Log

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
Tkuss- "On my past sleds, the snowflaps have fallen off over time from them bending in so many different way, and I found once they were off I like the sled better. Dont get in the way while stuck etc...

However if I ever run into cooling issues with this T-3, the snowflap will be the first thing that I put back on......"

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I will say my past ride was pretty ideal for snow sticking to stuff, as the snow was super powdery so it melted easy, but it was also about 0 degrees out, so it would freeze up real quick to.

But yes thats more snow that I would like sticking to the tunnel.

S
Nov 5, 2014
Denver, CO
after riding this weekend at Vail Pass, this thing feels so light while riding. keep in mind that I'm 6'2, 250 lbs. there was a lot of powder and this thing just rolled whichever way i wanted. my gf was riding her 2015 backcountry, and the snow buildup on the front of her sled was much greater than the T3. cant wait to get out there again this weekend.

E

eman0993

Aug 19, 2009
Duluth, MN
I carry a small rubber hammer with me so after I sit for breaks and it freeze a bit I'll just smack it off

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I was wondering who broke that trail in. I skied there two weekends ago, and knew it would be good after the next big storm. Went up right after you on Sunday. I was happy to not break trail as I was riding doubles with a newbie (got her hooked!) and knew it might be a real challenge. I mean, the snow sucks up there, everyone stay home!

My sled was a ball of ice after that day too. It was darn cold and blower.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
tkuss - Love the details and sharing. I am riding a doo for the first time this year and I am curious how you are liking the new skis? Do you have the powder attachment on the skis?

Diamond8

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Tri-Cities Washington
X2 thanks for the pictures.......love to see it even if the Pacific Northwest isn't quite there yet. I have the same new Black T-3 as yours so also enjoy seeing all the work you are doing.........have a safe winter sledding season ahead and keep those pics coming!!

Dave

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
tkuss - Love the details and sharing. I am riding a doo for the first time this year and I am curious how you are liking the new skis? Do you have the powder attachment on the skis?

Thanks for the compliments everybody.

I think I will do a more formal review on the sled once I get a couple hundred miles on it and am able to have really ridden it in all kinda of conditions, and most importantly get a couple days in tight technical situations to see how I like it there. Until then I dont have any real complaints about the sled at the moment. But yes so far I have the powder wings on the skis, the skis seem to be doing there job just fine so far...

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Day 4

Rode a few saturdays ago right before 1-2ft of snow was scheduled to fall. Planned on just road riding and getting some more miles on. Was only 6-7" or so down low. We started riding roads and crossing creeks to gain some elevation.

Once we got up to about 11,500ft the snow was not to bad and we got to do a bit of real boondocking for the first time of the year.

We got some good views up top

Day 5

Rode Buffalo Pass in CO, expecting epic powder conditions as it snowed 3ft snow in about 3 days time, and another 1ft+ was expected the night before we rode.

We got to the parking lot in the morning

Only to find out there was freezing rain the night before. Even up top the mtn this is what we found.

That crust was everywhere and really took the fun outta riding, as your skis would break through it driving straight across a meadow, and then your skis would get shot sideways and you were constantly feeling like you could go over the bars at any second.

We hit a different location for a hour or so and found some good snow to salvage the day.

Day 6

Rode the snowies and found the same ice crust there as well, wasnt quite as bad but still not to fun to ride in.

Here is a pic clearly showing the ice pic in a bad area

I have a bit over 100 miles on the T-3 now, I like it more with every ride. With the stock suspension I can pound through bumps on the trail and the ride is very smooth. The stock clutching hold rpm very well and I am pulling 8K everywhere I go. I still want a stronger backshift, and think good clutch kit could maybe make the sled rev up faster (increase throttle response), so I am still planning on the roosterbuilt kit.

I still havent gotten a full on day to push the sled in all conditions, but I will say the sled is very intuitive to ride, and quick to pick up on. I am very happy with the offtrail handling characteristics of the sled so far. I am going to be lowering the bars 3", as I think the stock bars are to high for boondocking. I am 6' tall, and when in a sidehill I feel like the bars are in my chest and want to get them down outta the way.

Overall I am very happy with the sled and have only a few minor issues, like the handle bar height.
I am a bit dissapointed I wasnt able to get out and ride the 2-3ft of powder that fell in CO before it covered up with freezing rain, but hopefully will be able to get out soon on the pow!

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
e4f6af6e781d27d382452cff3271935b.jpg

Just picked up my 174 T3 today, keep the updates comin!

Hobbes We just sold that 2001 summit 800 that you sold me that you crashed in cook city, still running like a champ!!

S

snowgambit

Feb 10, 2008
The good ol' Wyo
On the grip and rip engine braces how did you get the 3rd (middle) hole drilled in the bulkhead at the correct angle? I am having a very hard time of this and don't want to get it messed up

D
Feb 7, 2014
Revelstoke, BC
Below are some pics of the snowbuildup after I loaded it back up on the truck for those interested....

Snow forecast is still looking good, with a bit of luck it will keep piling up as quick as it has been. And every weekend the riding will get better and better.[/QUOTE]

Tkuss. Have you been noticing at all the track rubbing on the snowbuildup inside the tunnel? I have noticed it a lot with mine especially when down tracking on the trail in and the sound is easier to hear over the engine. Wondering what can be done to fix this as it must be robbing a lot of power.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have not noticed that. To my knowledge, I have only had icebuildup on the front tunnel cooler when it was 0 degrees out and super powdery. Since the temps have been warmer, and there has been much less snowbuild up on the sled...

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
Below are some pics of the snowbuildup after I loaded it back up on the truck for those interested....

Snow forecast is still looking good, with a bit of luck it will keep piling up as quick as it has been. And every weekend the riding will get better and better.

Tkuss. Have you been noticing at all the track rubbing on the snowbuildup inside the tunnel? I have noticed it a lot with mine especially when down tracking on the trail in and the sound is easier to hear over the engine. Wondering what can be done to fix this as it must be robbing a lot of power.[/QUOTE]

A snow flap might help out that issue?

Premium Features