• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trygstad 872 vs. Turbo

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Gus,

What about the Halverson setup do you think causes a problem? Mine were converted to his setup and I've had great luck. Maybe I just got lucky. If I start having issues, I want to know what to look for. Thanks

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Can we stop comparing performance on sleds via drag racing across lakes at elevation?

I got handled easily by a Summit 700 with 17/43 gearing at 6000ft and I was on a 1200 Turbo with a 174. Sure he could only hit 65mph, but he hit that speed in 50ft. I woulda flown past him if there was space and another 500ft, but then again, we don't go to the mountains to find the biggest lake to race across ;)

Anyone that is a student of clutching and gearing knows what I'm talking about. So unless it is a truly apple to apples comparison, leave it out of any sort of decision making.

I'm with Winterbrew here also, I wanna know the deets to this whole warranty thing. hehe ;)

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Can we stop comparing performance on sleds via drag racing across lakes at elevation?

I got handled easily by a Summit 700 with 17/43 gearing at 6000ft and I was on a 1200 Turbo with a 174. Sure he could only hit 65mph, but he hit that speed in 50ft. I woulda flown past him if there was space and another 500ft, but then again, we don't go to the mountains to find the biggest lake to race across ;)

Anyone that is a student of clutching and gearing knows what I'm talking about. So unless it is a truly apple to apples comparison, leave it out of any sort of decision making.

I'm with Winterbrew here also, I wanna know the deets to this whole warranty thing. hehe ;)

Gearing, Clutching, Belt Condition, Belt Deflection, Front Ski Pressure, Rear Suspension ALL can make a difference in how you sled performs....If you ride a lot like many of us do cleaning your clutches regularly and replacing clutch springs every 500 miles will give you an edge.

DPG

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Gearing, Clutching, Belt Condition, Belt Deflection, Front Ski Pressure, Rear Suspension ALL can make a difference in how you sled performs....If you ride a lot like many of us do cleaning your clutches regularly and replacing clutch springs every 500 miles will give you an edge.

DPG

You bring up good points. But missed the point of my post all together. :thumb:

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
You bring up good points. But missed the point of my post all together. :thumb:

I understand your point clearly...if you live above 6000 feet like many do we race across anything or up anything all the time. As far as your turbo goes depending on setup or how your turbo is mounted lag or the time it takes to spool up can be an issue when running a turbo against a non turbo in a short sprint.

I have to say I'm seeing more and more turbos getting awesome hole shots :face-icon-small-hap

I

islanddoo

Apr 10, 2008
Vancouver Island
Gus, pretty good running this year just would like to clean it up a bit more. Still got a fat spot in the mid then a little lean wide open. The problem is when u back out of it super rich for a bit till it cleans out. I get the power jet location in the bells instead of the throat but the Oem vent has me wondering can you explain.

Thx

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Hahaha. A limited understanding of gearing at elevation is all you are showing me.

The 1200 does just fine pointed uphill. The point was NOT to compare sleds by racing them across a lake at elevation. Because(as my example showed) it means less than nothing. 120hp vs. 280hp.

Just stick to your stock sleds and leave the big kids to talk about mods.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Hahaha. A limited understanding of gearing at elevation is all you are showing me.

The 1200 does just fine pointed uphill. The point was NOT to compare sleds by racing them across a lake at elevation. Because(as my example showed) it means less than nothing. 120hp vs. 280hp.

Just stick to your stock sleds and leave the big kids to talk about mods.[/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It does not matter if you ride a stock sled or ride a mod sled you still have to gear your sled correctly so your sled runs efficiently in ALL conditions.

DPG

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Islanddoo, this thread is off base any ways, so let's talk about the old carb turbo's. When is the last time you checked reeds? I was running the boyesen turbo reeds and they were giving some tuning issues. They quit closing all the way. They were fine until then. Running stock reeds out of my '04 now (there were just laying there, so I used them), much better response and rich effect when letting out is gone. Two seasons on them.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Gus, pretty good running this year just would like to clean it up a bit more. Still got a fat spot in the mid then a little lean wide open. The problem is when u back out of it super rich for a bit till it cleans out. I get the power jet location in the bells instead of the throat but the Oem vent has me wondering can you explain.

Thx

Islanddoo, this thread is off base any ways, so let's talk about the old carb turbo's. When is the last time you checked reeds? I was running the boyesen turbo reeds and they were giving some tuning issues. They quit closing all the way. They were fine until then. Running stock reeds out of my '04 now (there were just laying there, so I used them), much better response and rich effect when letting out is gone. Two seasons on them.

Customized needles with a modified tapper and additional clip positions can clean up the mid & top.

DPG

S

simbatheking

Feb 5, 2010
invermere bc
swrev, I had same issues w those boysen turbo reeds that came w my used kit and never used them. ive only used doubled up stockers b/c they were free and they seal perfect.
to the guy who got beat by a sled w half as much power, ya weight and agility is huge. turbo 2 stroke and u have best of both worlds.
my carb turbo runs wicked, and I think next yr we should have a north west turbo group ride and any n/a sled that thinks it can compare will likely be surprised at the huge performance gap.

G
Apr 23, 2008
simba is the gentelman that we swapped out carbs on Shaun. I was thinking he had your old kit.

Its reeds and the dual vent.

Lets leve this off track betting till next yr.

gus.bohne@comcast.net and I will fill you in islandooooooooooooo

or pm simbathe( carb ) king !!! lol and he can run it all down for ya ..

Gus

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Swrev, looks like my TDR reeds weren't closing up anymore. Put the stockers back in gonna give that a try. Thanks for the input.

It's going to run so well that you'll have Hivotagesledhead back on a turbo!! Hope it ends up being the issue for you.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
It's going to run so well that you'll have Hivotagesledhead back on a turbo!! Hope it ends up being the issue for you.

LOL....I dunno bout that swrev !!! But I would love to see his sled become reliable. It has been a lot of years of trials and tribulations. Having too much fun with the BB !!! Would be interesting though if the "nipples" Gus speaks about and the reeds were the issues from day one !!!

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
LOL....I dunno bout that swrev !!! But I would love to see his sled become reliable. It has been a lot of years of trials and tribulations. Having too much fun with the BB !!! Would be interesting though if the "nipples" Gus speaks about and the reeds were the issues from day one !!!

You throw a turbo on the 872 and I'll turbo the 880. We can have a whole new thread about what builder to use for the big bore turbo's, haha!!

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
You throw a turbo on the 872 and I'll turbo the 880. We can have a whole new thread about what builder to use for the big bore turbo's, haha!!

LMFAO swrev.....you are a chit disturber....I like it, but I may already be one step ahead of you....hehehe

Shhhhhh....top secret stuff dude !!!!!

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
LMFAO swrev.....you are a chit disturber....I like it, but I may already be one step ahead of you....hehehe

Shhhhhh....top secret stuff dude !!!!!

872 Tetec already sitting in the trailer, eh? What turbo kit are you adding? Maybe a supercharger? They've been expanding out off the Cats. I think it may be a better fit for the big bore and changed port timing.

Don't leave us hangin' and guessing!!

Premium Features