• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 and SHR !

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
860/880 ETECS (cylinder walls are just fine, fueling for low elevations, clutching, gearing)...even with ALL the changes skidoo made the ETEC turned out to be safe to mod...

TKI belt drives

3" track kits

clutching...call for details...BJ

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
bigger IS better...especially on the ETEC with the 52 mm throttle bodies feeding it...call for specific details....BJ

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
The 880 is a crap shoot why build an 860 and an 880 are both thoroughly tested on 14's on snow???

Take it from the authority on doo motors the 880 is a green bleeder.

http://www.trygstad-motorsports.com/800R__BIG__BORE_FACTS.php

The 880 is a crap shoot why build an 860 and an 880 are both thoroughly tested on 14's on snow???

Does any builder have 14's thoroughly tested on the snow???

Because Big John Knows nothing about doo's :crazy:

I have done John's 860's and 880's and have been very happy with both...especially the 880 coupled with a 3" track...a tree bangers delight. I was also personally involved with a friend that ended up with a 880 trygstad motor that went down. Not only did trygstad want nothing to do with the motor he wouldnt even help my buddy source pistons. Big John took the motor and fitted it with his 880 pistons, changed the squish, and went through the crank. The sled has run great since. That is customer service!!!

Last edited:
S

summit_man

Nov 23, 2008
Sioux Falls SD
Funny how things come about

Does any builder have 14's thoroughly tested on the snow???

Because Big John Knows nothing about doo's :crazy:

I have done John's 860's and 880's and have been very happy with both...especially the 880 coupled with a 3" track...a tree bangers delight. I was also personally involved with a friend that ended up with a 880 trygstad motor that went down. Not only did trygstad want nothing to do with the motor he wouldnt even help my buddy source pistons. Big John took the motor and fitted it with his 880 pistons, changed the squish, and went through the crank. The sled has run great since. That is customer service!!!

I would be the guy Nutty01 is talking about. Haven't been on this site much at all. Coincidence I would stumble on this. Lots of builders out in the sled world have great products and options.

In response to the demeaning post to SHR's info....

I am a rider that happens to have work done by Felkers, Holz, Crank Shop, Fox, and the final (Dial In) by Sled Head Racing. Lynn Felker spent much time giving me updates and everything I asked for with the initial purchase of my sled. Trygstad was the original builder of the 880bb I purchased. Holz and Fox followed with all set-ups with suspension and reasons for build specs. I made 2 phone calls to get configuration specs and setup info from Trygstad. My intentions were to get crank info, pipe, piston, compression expectations, rpm limit, etc. etc.... in addition I wanted a new top end to freshen up motor. because I wasn't original purchaser from him he had no info for me. Said he was done with the 880 thing. Wanted nothing to do with it... think nutty01 has confirmed the inadequate service I received with my requests for info and parts request.

Already knowing John with SHR. I came to him with my blown up motor, burn down due to not getting the information I needed.
SHR took a fully ported , trygstad, top and bottom end and totally rebuilt it with 100% brand new parts. I didn't have a ton of time to ride beginning of '13 year, but the time I did was nothing less than ridiculous. nutty01 is a turbo guy and his sled Screamed, however the 880BB SHINED in the areas that a BB is Strong!!! As my friends would confirm, there has been little money spared on having the best and if SHR is saying he has the set-up ready for the 14's, then be rest assured he does.

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT

http://www.trygstad-motorsports.com/800R__BIG__BORE_FACTS.php

Looks like Dave never took the time fo figure out how to make HIS 880 work for the general consumer and HIS motors were having issues. By Trygstads own site, it appears to be "fact" for HIS application. Does not relate how BJ's big bores are holding up or anyone else's for that matter. There are comments on the 860 big bores also. So the cast pistons in Dave's 860 builds were sub-par the way I take it. Again, looks like Dave never took the time to get that issue fixed; others did.

I don't really intend to bash, but that portion on Trygstad's site is really just a bunch of horse crap. His 872 is a solid performer and people should be happy w/ it. The attempt to give "fact" and try and discredit other build variations that are not 872, is a major eye sore in my opinion.

Other than turbojamie, has anyone ever had issues w/ BJ? I cannot think of any. I'll admit that I am a cheerleader for SHR motors. I've had fantastic luck w/ them and BJ is just one hell of a nice guy to visit w/. I probably could have had that type of relationship working w/ Dave, but w/ the slinging on his own site, that will never be an issue that he or I will ever have to deal w/.

BJ, how about the 600 etec big bores? Do they have bigger throttle bodies that really wake them up like big boring the 800 etecs? Wife may need a newer sled before to long.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Looks like Dave never took the time fo figure out how to make HIS 880 work for the general consumer and HIS motors were having issues. By Trygstads own site, it appears to be "fact" for HIS application. Does not relate how BJ's big bores are holding up or anyone else's for that matter. There are comments on the 860 big bores also. So the cast pistons in Dave's 860 builds were sub-par the way I take it. Again, looks like Dave never took the time to get that issue fixed; others did.

I don't really intend to bash, but that portion on Trygstad's site is really just a bunch of horse crap. His 872 is a solid performer and people should be happy w/ it. The attempt to give "fact" and try and discredit other build variations that are not 872, is a major eye sore in my opinion.

Other than turbojamie, has anyone ever had issues w/ BJ? I cannot think of any. I'll admit that I am a cheerleader for SHR motors. I've had fantastic luck w/ them and BJ is just one hell of a nice guy to visit w/. I probably could have had that type of relationship working w/ Dave, but w/ the slinging on his own site, that will never be an issue that he or I will ever have to deal w/.

BJ, how about the 600 etec big bores? Do they have bigger throttle bodies that really wake them up like big boring the 800 etecs? Wife may need a newer sled before to long.

comments that the 880 is too thin as some builders are suggesting is simply a marketing strategy and BS. Yes the 880 is very strong and reliable if done properly. In fact have never had one issue with the skirts/ transfer ports after 12+ 880 builds and they destroy the 860,s. You will have issues if you send out junk cylinders that have been re- habed and welded several time, jus sayin.

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
So this post is a little derailed at this point, so I'll keep going. I am not by anymeans putting down the 872 build. It flat works, I've seen it first hand. Trygstad's 872 is an extremely impressive motor. It (w/ 3" track") worked my turbo in deep snow on a long pull. Setup snow, and turbo won easily, but guys are not usually to worried about drag racing when modifiying long track sleds. My stock tracked turbo w/ higher track speeds would not keep up w/ the 872 turning the 3" over 50 mph in the deep stuff.

K

karter44

Dec 4, 2007
So I would like to get some info on the 3" track the fellow has on his sled as to the drivers and at what altitude he runs at any Info on clutching see this form on 872 clutching we run at 3500 ft

S
Mar 26, 2009
Mountains
Big Bores

This is a pi&&ing match every year--Its like the 7 year on the playground saying my daddys bigger than yours-Been rider skidoo since 1990--Doesn't matter whats done to it -there is always someone faster-It all boils down to how deep your pocket book is and if you have understanding wife--Just enjoy the d&&n thing--Have a good season!!!!!!!!!!!

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I think its time Dave took that 880 info off of his site. It may have been put there because of his personal experience with the 880 and I'm sure they are facts in his own mind. I have never seen one or rode with one and cant comment on it. Lots of people swear by them so they must be good. Dave has enough 872's on the snow that speak for themselves....he doesnt need any bad marketing. They are popping up all over the place in my area and I get pm's, emails and calls about my setup regularly. I promote what I know form my own personal experience...good or bad...and I do my own research!!

Just because it says so...doesnt mean it is.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
So I would like to get some info on the 3" track the fellow has on his sled as to the drivers and at what altitude he runs at any Info on clutching see this form on 872 clutching we run at 3500 ft

What do you want to know...???

It works great from 2000 ft -10,000 ft. I just change my clickers.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
This is a pi&&ing match every year--Its like the 7 year on the playground saying my daddys bigger than yours-Been rider skidoo since 1990--Doesn't matter whats done to it -there is always someone faster-It all boils down to how deep your pocket book is and if you have understanding wife--Just enjoy the d&&n thing--Have a good season!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep except we have all seen BJ's motors and customer service knock the pi$$ out of all of the other Doo BB Builders on the playground.

J

jvb

Nov 26, 2007
my 860 ran great for 1500 miles then a piston skirt broke and grenaded my whole motor. Have a hard time believing any 880 or 860 with 3 inch gonna hold 50+ mph in the deep. If it does that's pretty impressive.

S
Mar 26, 2009
Mountains
Big Bores

True but the only question is do they all do there own porting themselves and not the guy in the shop that never gets credit?

Last edited:
J

Jimmy

Nov 27, 2007
Chiba, Colorado
I would be the guy Nutty01 is talking about. Haven't been on this site much at all. Coincidence I would stumble on this. Lots of builders out in the sled world have great products and options.

In response to the demeaning post to SHR's info....

I am a rider that happens to have work done by Felkers, Holz, Crank Shop, Fox, and the final (Dial In) by Sled Head Racing. Lynn Felker spent much time giving me updates and everything I asked for with the initial purchase of my sled. Trygstad was the original builder of the 880bb I purchased. Holz and Fox followed with all set-ups with suspension and reasons for build specs. I made 2 phone calls to get configuration specs and setup info from Trygstad. My intentions were to get crank info, pipe, piston, compression expectations, rpm limit, etc. etc.... in addition I wanted a new top end to freshen up motor. because I wasn't original purchaser from him he had no info for me. Said he was done with the 880 thing. Wanted nothing to do with it... think nutty01 has confirmed the inadequate service I received with my requests for info and parts request.

Already knowing John with SHR. I came to him with my blown up motor, burn down due to not getting the information I needed.
SHR took a fully ported , trygstad, top and bottom end and totally rebuilt it with 100% brand new parts. I didn't have a ton of time to ride beginning of '13 year, but the time I did was nothing less than ridiculous. nutty01 is a turbo guy and his sled Screamed, however the 880BB SHINED in the areas that a BB is Strong!!! As my friends would confirm, there has been little money spared on having the best and if SHR is saying he has the set-up ready for the 14's, then be rest assured he does.

In all fairness to this post and the builder that people are sooo excited to try to bag on with this one sled. I know the origins of Summitmans sled and the original two owners of it here in Colorado. It was a very, very early build 880 motor that was built as a race spec motor. If I had to guess it was the second 880 built. It had TMX carbs on it, early build crank shop pipes and so on. It ripped and I watched it walk all over an 860 one day. It was then mellowed out and changed hands atleast another 3 times before it became Summit_Mans sled.
It was an early build proto type motor people. So take what you read with a grain of salt!!

After I bought Big Foot I kept calling Ford trying to get info on the motor and specs and oddly enough they didnt want to help me either! In fact they were down right rude...........

S
Dec 2, 2007
Cottonwood
I am doing a similar build right now with BJ's assistance

860/880 ETECS (cylinder walls are just fine, fueling for low elevations, clutching, gearing)...even with ALL the changes skidoo made the ETEC turned out to be safe to mod...

TKI belt drives

3" track kits

clutching...call for details...BJ

I will get some BUild pics up for you guys soon. I have just thrown in the 3" 156" x16", TKI Drive, Clutch tower brace, HPS Can and the 7" drivers and 9" rear Billet wheels in my 13' XM. Considering the torque that the stock XM motor makes, I am confident it will handle the track quite well. If I do need more HP, I will go with the SHR880. We have a few XM's in our stable and we'll do some side by sides and post the results. On a personal note, taking pot shots from the sofa at a legit motor builder that has done an immense amount of quality work for all of us motorheads and stands by his work, is ridiculous and just undermines the sport in general. I have known BJ since 05'. I buy and sell a new sled every season and never leave it stock. I have lots of options for mods, manufacturers to work with and so on but make a conscious decision to work with BJ. BJ has been the most supportive, accountable, as well as the only Builder to take the time to call me and inquire how the mods, pipes, clutching, motor work, are working out. In my industry time = money and experience = immensely valuable. IF you don't have something of value to add, STFU and sit your FAT ARSE back on the sofa.

Premium Features