• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek 860 ETEC out there and running great!

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
LOL, well.. not sure we will reach any definitive conclusions since we are comparing apples to oranges... but I am still "game".. should be interesting and fun....I think you will be surprised at the results, regardless...
Maybe try and round up some ETEC 872's.. I have an old REV 860 (4 year old build) kicking around with a 151 track.. I can maybe bring it out as well to throw in the mix...(haven't even ran it this year) but did dumpp it onthe grass this Fall and ran against some 872s and other 860s...

Let's make it happen!

Ya I heard your old 860 run's pretty hard! Lol! I think it would be great fun for sure. I am free almost any weekend!

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Ya I heard your old 860 run's pretty hard! Lol! I think it would be great fun for sure. I am free almost any weekend!

For an "old girl" that is not even build close to the latest specs.. It does do pretty well (just ask the guys with the FULL MOD 860 and 872's that had to run against it (full trail set up running the stock pipe on pump gas))..

The short track and Rev chassis does not do it any favors on the hill.. but I need to get it out this year anyway.. so, maybe that would be a good time for it?

Again, see whom else you can round up and we can get this going...

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
This will prove nothing for the consumer. They both need to be same stock sleds ( same year, model, track) just big bore only. But have fun anyways.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
So ur telling me that all these big bore guy's don't touch anything but the motor. Good one!!! Most just won't tell you they do. We just all pick our combinations. Some work some don't. A perfectly clutched sled with stock clutches should stay with what I have going on... I just couldn't get my clutch temps down with stock or team. Thats why I use the paragon

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
So ur telling me that all these big bore guy's don't touch anything but the motor. Good one!!!

HONESTLY---> Mine has nothing done but the Big Bore Kit... and a slight gearing change...
The silencer was only done for the Muff pot installation.. Otherwise it would not be on there...

This is 100% truth..

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Mine has nothing done but the Big Bore Kit... and a slight gearing change...
The silencer was only done for the Muff pot installation.. Otherwise it would not be on there...

This is 100% truth..

Like I said I run stock primary parts. I just couldn't get my clutch temps where I wanted them.. And after a long pull clutch heat would cause it to fade. I don't have that isssue anymore. Otherwise not sure if there is a huge gain... I don't have anyone in my group with an 860 and stock clutching. With stock clutches I was hitting around 50 mph and would fade 100 yards into a hard straight up pull. I did run a shr 860 last yr. With this same setup. Nothing but motor change. I am running 5 mph better speeds with the trystad. Not trying to start any fights. Just what I have found. I am running same gearing as stock 13, 163. And let's not forget I am running a 3 yr old sled. This motor was put in when sled was new.

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
be nice be nice...you two are doing good...lol...keep it respectful and get the show on the road..lol..

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
be nice be nice...you two are doing good...lol...keep it respectful and get the show on the road..lol..

I don't get that way no worries! I am glad there are multiple engine builders.. Makes it fun... If there was only one manufacture that would suck too. I have never seen Kelsey's stuff run. Have heard good things about all builders and some bad.. Can't keep everyone happy. I have blown up a few big bores. Couple my fault couple not. I think any one would be happy with any of these guy's big bores. I am from MN. Just moved to Utah. I lived 3 miles form Dave. That's why I run his stuff. Next one might be Rktech who know's. But I would like to run mine against some other good running setups. Just curious more than anything. And not to mention how much fun it would be!!!!!! Becuase thats what's it's all about. Right guy's??????

D
Jan 17, 2009
GF, MT
860 show down

i agree keep it nice and friendly.

and kelsey is ready to go and will even bring an old rev chassis sled for the fun of sledding so i think this sounds like a very fun time i wish i was not so far away i would like to be there for this .

i am not running a big bore but i would like to have one when my warranty is out .

i will say that i think bj and kelesey are top notch with customer service i dont know about dave but his customers seem to stand behind him and his product on the forum

i have seen kelseys work and had him help me out with a problem child engine that i had tried to fix for some one and had it blow agian and kelesy helped me make that cat run and i think he new he wasnt selling me any thing to fix that cat and took his time that im sure is valuable to help out a felow snowest sledder so please dont let this get ugly kelesy wants to go race so does the man in utah i hope some others do to and we all benefit from the knowledge learned there .

thanks guys for helpping a great sport

dan

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Could always do it at the Fairview shootout in March? Or start our own. Not 100% sure it's fair for a garage tuner guy to be running up against a builder. But would would love to to see how mine runs. I do make changes every time i ride. I am setup for deep steep tree riding. It's what I like!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Could always do it at the Fairview shootout in March? Or start our own. Not 100% sure it's fair for a garage tuner guy to be running up against a builder. But would would love to to see how mine runs. I do make changes every time i ride. I am setup for deep steep tree riding. It's what I like!

well other fella's could come along can't they..??..like why not a Big John sled and one of Daves with them on im or anybody for that matter as long as they were in the same parimeters of stock with the bigbore..

besides..its all for fun..and the half time show is what its all going to be about

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Yes that would be great.. I know there are alot of updates on the 872 that my 860 does not have. So in all fairness It's not a current motor. I am sure there are alot of guy's that have there 860's running top notch. Just thought it would be fun to get a bunch of us together and run em... Tired of all the trash talk on here... Buy what you buy. Set it up, run it and have fun with it!

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
So what elevation will this be held at? It would be interesting to get a few pump gas turbo sleds thrown in the mix and show the difference in rideability and performance vs cost. Pump gas turbo is a waste of money when compared to a big bore IMO unless all riding is 8000' and up.

yammyman_1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2010
Sturgeon County, Alberta
Kelsey, I'm very interested in your kit but I've got a few questions...

I've got a 163 XM estart, carbon can, C3 belt drive (25T, 63B), stock clutching

Riding generally 6-8000 ft, but sometimes 2-3000 ft

I do have an rk tek dealer (Specialty Sled) nearby. I live in Edmonton, AB. I plan on doing something in the off season when I know I've got something reliable to work with.

I don't know a whole lot about BB's, fuel controllers, and fine tuning clutches but I'm fully capable and I want to learn.

I don't necessarily need to ride around home and I do plan on buying another sled in the next couple years. I'm not sure if a fuel controller is absolutely necessary... However, a lot of the trail rides into where we ride are 3-4000 ft and go up to 6-8000 ft. Does this require a fuel controller (again I don't know much about them?)

What are your recommendations? (As far as:

-clutching
-cooling- Terra Alps racing offers a lower temp/higher flow thermostat and housing (opens @ 90F and closes bypass @ 120F... is it necessarily a good thing?
-venting- keep the CVT cooling shroud? panel venting? "Blow hole" hot air eliminator ok?
-fuel- VP C111 race fuel & 91 octane mixture ok?
-we still have 1/2 a barrel sitting in a dry cool dark place for a couple years now... is it ok?
-What fuel ratio?
-gearing- I want to keep the C3 belt drive... Should I be worried about gearing or field test first?
-carbon can... Do I need to run the suitcase? What about pipe and y pipe?

-Is this a job a competent HD tech can take on without really having to worry?... I rebuilt one top end, on my old rev, but the locator pin failed a few hundred km into its rebirth, took out the cylinder & kind of has me wondering if I made a simple mistake that cost me a lot or if it was just a fluke! I ended up putting in a short block.

I really want to do the work myself. Mostly to learn but also to save $...

Last edited:
Premium Features