• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro vs. XM

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Honestly, a first year XM could be sketchy, but I have more faith in Skidoo to get it right the first time over what Cat came up with.
:)

Really, Skidoo didnt get it right in 08 with the XP debut. I was one of the unfortunate ones that went through the broken drive shaft, 8 blown ($180) belts fiasco. Just saying....:face-icon-small-win

P
May 16, 2010
Like the Pro But Went with Doo

Well I have always like Poo but switched to Doo back in the 900 Poo days and never looked back till last year. Man that Poo just feels awesome. The flickability was absolutely great, look a certain way and that is the way the Poo went Love It... Still decided to stick with the Doo for another year though I have just heard great things about this new sled and just have to try it out. Sure hope it is not a 08 year again because that really sucked for Doo guys that year :face-icon-small-fro and I was one of them.......:face-icon-small-dis

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
I had a conversation with a friend/ mechanic and he claimed they broke the bolt in the scissors of the skid three times and the skid was bent so bad they could not ride it anymore. Anyone experience this?
This is one point of concern I have and why I am not sure if my riding partner will get an XM.
I know snowmobiler you bleed yellow and this friggin bolt is made from some rare earth metal that is impervious to breaking while stressed by you but how about a guy like me that does not posses super powers.
See the attached picture from the XM at our State fair.

SKIDOO.jpg

M

M8Freerider

Feb 15, 2010
Surrey BC
In my opinion the snowmobile industry is not far from Formula One racing... Pretty soon there will be an onboard computer to help you sidehill. I am all about technology to a point, but this new tilt-O-track or whatever they are calling it is stupid! Are they targeting guys who ride in the mountains or guys who want to be able to say I can side hill my sled in the parking lot?? Why not work on refining and making sleds lighter. Polaris is the first manufacture to take a real step towards doing this with their new belt drive (and I'm a cat guy). These are the types of changes that make our sport and the manufactures better. I rode a 2013 XM in Revy last year (deep snow conditions) for about 4 hrs. I threw a leg over the machine with the intension of being completely unbiased. The sled is definitely and improvement over the 2012 and a major improvement over the earlier years. Any doo rider that rides the new XM will like it much better if you ride on one ski allot. My impression of the machine was flickable and very light in the front end, when you turn the bars you go from lock to lock as they turn super easy and it takes a little time to adjust for this. Once your sidehilling (easy to initiate) it felt fairly planted and the balance point was good, but the machine had a tendency to want to turn back up hill. Nosing the machine down hill while in a sidehill moving slowly was a challenge, it would resist forcing you to muscle it a little. Once you had it orientated in the right direction it would get grabby as if it wanted to go back up hill and the track was dropping out. Going straight downhill and cranking a turn back up hill was easy and it worked well. Picking through the trees was good and bad. For widely spaced trees it was good, for tighter stuff it wanted to get high in the nose and had a tendency to trench a little when you made quick directional changes. Again I attribute this to the nose of the sled wanting to go uphill to fast. Carving downhill turns was easy and the sled felt responsive. The clutching needs work – when you let off the throttle you get big time nose dive as there is a substantial amount of engine breaking (or at least that's what it feels like). So much so that after 4hrs of riding my shoulders were soar from pushing myself away from the bars under declaration and then pulling hard when accelerating to stop nose dive. Power was good, but flattened out on top. Felt like it was going to start rippen, but would fall off slightly. Weight felt ok – not too heavy, not really light and most of it it feels like its up higher in the saddle. All in all I would say its a great sled, but not a game changer by any means. IMO doo has come up to where the other sleds are in the handling department and is fun to ride. I'm not brand bashing just giving feedback on the way the sled felt to me. If you want to know if this sled is right for you – go ride one!

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
it looks like the skid would bend before the grade 8 bolt breaks?

I found that hard to fathom given the forces exerted by a rider (even a fat guy at 300 pounds) coming down hard, but stuff happens.
I know that the harder the bolt the more carbon and the less likely it is to bend. I also understand shear vs tension forces. I have sheared many grade 5's and a few grade 8's, but always felt it was operator error. I would assume a grade 8 would go there, I would also assume that if this was a real problem we would be shearing tunnel bolts on an occasion.
I Just wanted to see if anyone else can collaborate or has seen this happen, I know it is not probable given the few that were rode last spring.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Nobody has mentioned a thing about setup. Makes a difference on any sled. Someone saying that a Pro suspension is "too stiff" proves that, .....

I bought a 2012 pro with a 163. I set it up exactly as the manual said to. I felt the rear was to soft and the skis were to stiff. The problem was amplified in setup snow this spring and on any trail. I went to the limit as published in the manual and it was improved but still felt it had the same basic characteristics.

I was explaining this to the Exit Shock guys at the Jackson Hillclimbs and they told me that is a common problem with bigger riders. I am now an owner of a new Exit Shock package with exactly 0 miles. Can't wait for snow.

I would love to ride a new XM for comparison.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
In my opinion the snowmobile industry is not far from Formula One racing... Pretty soon there will be an onboard computer to help you sidehill. I am all about technology to a point, but this new tilt-O-track or whatever they are calling it is stupid! Are they targeting guys who ride in the mountains or guys who want to be able to say I can side hill my sled in the parking lot?? Why not work on refining and making sleds lighter. Polaris is the first manufacture to take a real step towards doing this with their new belt drive (and I'm a cat guy). These are the types of changes that make our sport and the manufactures better. I rode a 2013 XM in Revy last year (deep snow conditions) for about 4 hrs. I threw a leg over the machine with the intension of being completely unbiased. The sled is definitely and improvement over the 2012 and a major improvement over the earlier years. Any doo rider that rides the new XM will like it much better if you ride on one ski allot. My impression of the machine was flickable and very light in the front end, when you turn the bars you go from lock to lock as they turn super easy and it takes a little time to adjust for this. Once your sidehilling (easy to initiate) it felt fairly planted and the balance point was good, but the machine had a tendency to want to turn back up hill. Nosing the machine down hill while in a sidehill moving slowly was a challenge, it would resist forcing you to muscle it a little. Once you had it orientated in the right direction it would get grabby as if it wanted to go back up hill and the track was dropping out. Going straight downhill and cranking a turn back up hill was easy and it worked well. Picking through the trees was good and bad. For widely spaced trees it was good, for tighter stuff it wanted to get high in the nose and had a tendency to trench a little when you made quick directional changes. Again I attribute this to the nose of the sled wanting to go uphill to fast. Carving downhill turns was easy and the sled felt responsive. The clutching needs work – when you let off the throttle you get big time nose dive as there is a substantial amount of engine breaking (or at least that's what it feels like). So much so that after 4hrs of riding my shoulders were soar from pushing myself away from the bars under declaration and then pulling hard when accelerating to stop nose dive. Power was good, but flattened out on top. Felt like it was going to start rippen, but would fall off slightly. Weight felt ok – not too heavy, not really light and most of it it feels like its up higher in the saddle. All in all I would say its a great sled, but not a game changer by any means. IMO doo has come up to where the other sleds are in the handling department and is fun to ride. I'm not brand bashing just giving feedback on the way the sled felt to me. If you want to know if this sled is right for you – go ride one!

I completely agree and will add that I rode the XM next to my son on a 2010 RMK on hard spring snow. He was riding up and down woops on a sidehill and I tried to do the same. Although an improvement over my 11, the XM still wanted to flatten when dropping over these 4-5ft bumps on a sidehill. It may be geometry but it felt like there just was too much weight on the skis. The IQ chassis of the RMK weighed nearly the same but it held these sidehill bumps without a problem.

Also I noticed the DS 2 skis where an improvement over the DS 1 but these new skis all were kinked on all the demos. They kinked at the curve due to less support because BRP took out verticle plastic material just above the bend. Lots of XM's are going to have skis bent straight up this season. I ordered a Poo after being on Doo for more than 16 years. That Poo has some big boots to fill. I expect I will come back to Doo after they drop 50 lbs. and Poo gains 50 due to EPA regulations.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007

{when you let off the throttle you get big time nose dive as there is a substantial amount of engine breaking (or at least that's what it feels like). So much so that after 4hrs of riding my shoulders were soar from pushing myself away from the bars under declaration and then pulling hard when accelerating}............Yes this is due to the Too forward Far stance for a Mountain performer and nose weight, Good Post!

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
the differences are the Pro is lighter and the XM has more juice (power)
all the rest is rider preference and setup

rev riders don't like XP's:face-icon-small-con
XP riders don't like pro's:face-icon-small-win
pro riders hate their old edges :face-icon-small-dis
ha ha ha this chit is funny as hell
let it snow !:rockon:

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
I completely agree and will add that I rode the XM next to my son on a 2010 RMK on hard spring snow. He was riding up and down woops on a sidehill and I tried to do the same. Although an improvement over my 11, the XM still wanted to flatten when dropping over these 4-5ft bumps on a sidehill. It may be geometry but it felt like there just was too much weight on the skis. The IQ chassis of the RMK weighed nearly the same but it held these sidehill bumps without a problem.

Same results as you. XM still wanted to flatten out while a Pro can run circles in those conditions all day long. I thought maybe it was just me because I only go 175 but the other guy I was riding with is a big boy and had the same results. The motor is still too far forward in the chassis putting too much weight on the skis. That's the MAIN reason they cut out the side panels by the footwells - so you can get your body more forward into the sweet spot near the center of gravity of that sled which is a lot more forward.
Like WB said tho - the XM handled the bumps better than any other sled I've ridden and has an excellent motor. Pick your poison.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
A surprise to me is that very few (if any) have mentioned the power difference. I chose the Poo, but am really looking forward to spending a couple of days on the XM to feel the power that an 800 should have out of the box. Not having to add a 5K turbo set up to compete in the power dept would be nice.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
The power is the same story/argument as the last 2 years. The Polaris faithful can give up some power to the Ski Doo faithful's heavier sled.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
A surprise to me is that very few (if any) have mentioned the power difference. I chose the Poo, but am really looking forward to spending a couple of days on the XM to feel the power that an 800 should have out of the box. Not having to add a 5K turbo set up to compete in the power dept would be nice.

Put them side by side in real world conditions (not a Dyno) the power isn't that evident. I have no dog in the fight but rode my dad's 2011 pro a couple days next to my buddies Etec. Lined them up many times in 1-2ft of fresh the Pro would get up and out run the Etec everytime. Rider weight and skill was identical. I was shocked to say the least

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Valid point. I'm impressed to see everyone playing nice together on this thread. Thanks for keeping it objective and open minded.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I really want to c a pro that can keep up with a cat or doo!
My 09 cat with slp pipe straight up stomps the pro on hills! On flat ground its real even but when it comes to steep n deep hills it's not even close! My sled is about even with the etec's on the hill.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Valid point. I'm impressed to see everyone playing nice together on this thread. Thanks for keeping it objective and open minded.

I really want to c a pro that can keep up with a cat or doo!
My 09 cat with slp pipe straight up stomps the pro on hills! On flat ground its real even but when it comes to steep n deep hills it's not even close! My sled is about even with the etec's on the hill.

Nevermind:doh:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

Lmao... I hear ya, but those same days I had my dad's Pro out with my buddies Etec I honestly can say I think the Etec had the edge climbing. It wasn't much but I think he was out doing me overall on the hill. Like I said I have rode with him my whole life and rider skill is identical.

The only thing I could come up with was the 16x2.5 track was helping him that much, I am not sure. Maybe the skid is a bit better.

Also I noticed when we were getting big runs at hills highmarking and you had to pound threw some ruts or moguls or maybe bank around some trees hard I could not keep the tippy Pro under as much control and would there for have to slow down and loose some momentum compared to the more stable XP.

Just what I saw riding them side by side, Like I said I ride a big heavy yammi so I have no dog in the fight:face-icon-small-hap

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

Sorry just being honest! Not bashing.
The pro is a good sled but it is underpowered!
That's y I'm looking at the xm.
If the pro was close in climbs I wouldn't be here, I'd be sitting on my pro in the garage.
Just trying to share my experience. I trade highmarks with etecs on the deep days and the pro isn't even close! And I mean 100ft difference. Now when the snow isn't that deep were all even.
Maybe I haven't seen a properly setup pro?
Not trying to be a dick, I seriously want to c a pro keep up with an etc In deep snow! If I can c it then my choice for a new sled will be much easier!
Look at my name. I own all three models but I'm looking at updating either my summit or rmk.

Last edited:
Premium Features