• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cam Arms

G
Sep 3, 2008
Hi there, I have never changed the cam arms on my 2002 800 cat before and was looking for any tips??

I am changing them for 5000-9000 ft from the original cam arms...

I went to loosen one of the nuts and it broke off with very little pressure...will they all break off??

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks

Troy

assuming you have a 9post, you can tell by counting the bolts on the cover....it will have 6 or 9, there is no set screw on the weight, so you can either pop the cover or pry the clutch over and put a small block between the spider and sheave. either way will remove the spring pressure from the weights. pull the bolts out of the weights.....take note that the head of the bolt goes to the load side of the clutch......you want the load on the head of the bolt, not the nut. if you pull the cover look foran alignment mark, if you don't see one.....make one. once you have the weights out be sure to check the clearance of the bushings.....they should not be "tight" nor sloppy. reassemble and giver a good bath with brake cleaner and have fun.

G
Sep 3, 2008
Thanks

yes it is a nine post .... I was having trouble with the lock nuts breaking off..is that normal??

I went and bought a cam arm replacement kit and it cost $50.00 CDN which I thought was a bit steep every time you switch from flatlands to mountains...

also....when removing the cam arm will the washers fall down into the clutch??

thanks

once the bolt is out any and everything can fall. keep track of it. it can help to have a magnet handy and a piece of wire to follow the bolt out with.

50bux.....has there been a shortage of bolts in canada lately? they should not break off, but be sure the lock nuts are still holding well or toss em'. it could be that they were locktighted, if so a little heat will help a lot. you don't need much, just enough to get the nut to 300ish degrees. for reference, my setscrews only took about 2 seconds with a rich oxy/acet flame......propane maybe 3-4 seconds.

G
Sep 3, 2008
thanks

Got the cam arms in last night with no further problems with the breaking off the locknuts ...thanks for your help....I think it would have been easier to take the clutch off and work on it then....

Premium Features