• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! How to tell which EGT sensor to pipe and can?

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
I'm replacing my EGT sensor. The old sensor had a longer EGT wire to the pipe and a shorter wire to the can. On the new sensor, both wires are the same length.
Both sensors are identical and do not seem to be distinguished in any way.

How do I tell which sensor is supposed to go to the pipe and which one is supposed to go to the can???

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Anyone? I have the 2013 shop manual and it does not have any info on whether there is a distinction on which sensor goes in the pipe and which one in the can.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I just put a new one on mine but I went from one with two wires the same length to one with one long and one short since I got it from an older (2014) sled being parted out for my 2017. The one that came out had no identifying marks distinguishing between the can sensor and the pipe sensor. If I were in your position I would note the position of the original sensors on the module box and match that to the new one. One wire comes out high and one comes out low.

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Looks like I will probably have to call the dealer on this one. The fact that they aren't clearly marked or a difference mentioned in the service manual likely means it does not matter which sensor goes where.

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Both cables are the same length on the 2015+ smaller modules. The older larger modules had different length cables. Since I have buds, I intend to throw a heat gun on one of them and make sure the one reading warmer in buds is the correct sensor.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
So I found the answer from the dealer. Although the wires are the same length for both sensors, it is still the same as the old module with different length cables.

With the module installed on oil container clip, the lower wire goes to the can and the upper wire to the pipe.

Premium Features