• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha stuck in the mountains BOG

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I have a 2018 mountian cat it would be good to know where is the throttle saftey switch is so I if I ever run into this I know what to do ?

The switch is inside the throttle block. If you trace the wires coming out of it you will find a plug about 6-8" (can't remember exactly but around there) down your wiring harness from the throttle block. Also right by your coolant bottle is the main handlebar plug which would also bypass it however it would also kill your handwarmers, kill switch, headlights and who knows what else but in a pinch this is one way around it I believe.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
would be great is someone can shoot photo of exact location/plug to undo if we encounter tss issue.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Normally if it is acting up because of snow being packed in or something similar, you can flip the throttle real fast several times to dislodge the snow or ice. Like flip and let slam shut. Unless it is an actual switch malfunction. Then it needs to be disabled to work.

S
Jan 20, 2009
For those wondering, the gap is within the .030-.060 spec and still does not work. Also the dealer never touched the adjustment as I had to do it when we first went to ride. It now has 343 miles on it. I am wondering about ice causing the problem as well. We will still be leaving them unplugged though.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
would be great is someone can shoot photo of exact location/plug to undo if we encounter tss issue.
More or less just a momentary switch in the throttle block, I believe the pin that holds the throttle lever to the block is what presses it. Pull the throttle block apart and unplug it.

I cant find the part number or a picture of the switch itself. Maybe you have to replace the entire throttle block.

Kingkittycat

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
Fairchild, Wisconsin
For those wondering, the gap is within the .030-.060 spec and still does not work. Also the dealer never touched the adjustment as I had to do it when we first went to ride. It now has 343 miles on it. I am wondering about ice causing the problem as well. We will still be leaving them unplugged though.

If your sled runs fine on trail up, then it starts acting up when playing in powder, I can all but guarantee your injesting snow into intake somewhere. Every time I here the words "bogging down" or "poor throttle response" while ridding in powder is a red flag for snow getting in somewhere. Same problem came up last yr. Guy's blaming exhaust and other things.
I practically begged people to stop and open up their hoods and check their air intake system right then and there. You have to do it when its happening to verify. Someone finally took my advise and found their intake full of snow. Pictures were posted. Then the flood gates opened and others found the same problem. Look up posts from last yr on bogging issue and check out pictures and info.
It's not an Alpha 1 issue, is Ascended chassis issue. I questioned arctic cat reps at show this fall and they blamed it on operator error. Not getting hood or plastic back on correctly, snapped back into track or proper place, etc. Hope this helps and good luck on getting it solved.

Brent7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2017
La Grande, Or.
The switch is inside the throttle block. If you trace the wires coming out of it you will find a plug about 6-8" (can't remember exactly but around there) down your wiring harness from the throttle block. Also right by your coolant bottle is the main handlebar plug which would also bypass it however it would also kill your handwarmers, kill switch, headlights and who knows what else but in a pinch this is one way around it I believe.
The grey connector by you coolant bottle is the one me and my friend have unplugged on our alphas. We both had this same issue at the same time. Ours were caused by an improper shut down code, everything else still works. Handwarmers, lights, ect. We have left them unhooked since it happened.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
The grey connector by you coolant bottle is the one me and my friend have unplugged on our alphas. We both had this same issue at the same time. Ours were caused by an improper shut down code, everything else still works. Handwarmers, lights, ect. We have left them unhooked since it happened.

Yes I confirmed last night on the 19 this is the plug. On an 18 it is going to be up closer to the throttle. Believe the wires were black and white/purple. I dont have an 18 anymore to verify.

grandpaj

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Menan, Idaho
Plug wire

On the connector on the left side by your knee, if you disconnect/cut the black wire with the white tracer, everything, kill switch etc still works, just eliminates the flaky throttle safety switch. I actually put a quick connect connector on mine so when it starts acting up, just unplug it.
Mine is a 2018 mountain cat.
Hope this helps someone not leave a sled in the mountains over this

S
Jan 20, 2009
When we first arrived back to the sled I disconnected the safety switch connector by the coolant bottle. It started and ran just fine. Connected it back up without shutting it off and problem returned. Disconnected it again while the sled was still running and problem gone again. Ran all the way out with no issues with the plug undone. Dried the sled out and problem is gone with the connector done up. Definitely a switch problem.

Premium Features