• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why my 850 power felt so crappy?

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Before my crank bearings seized I made about 17 hours on the patriot and honestly it never felt good - I could not pin point what exactly is wrong. Now that the engine seized I was forced to go back to my old 800 (2016 model with 1000km) and I immediately felt how good the power was. I do not mean here that the 850 did not have power. Simply on the 800 at full throttle it was so smooth and I felt it pulling strong, I got this immediate "I can go anywhere" feeling. Power at full throttle on 850 was feeling kind of weird, in anyway on 800 it feels so much better. Now Why is that? The 850 was completely stock, 800 has a SLP can.

I thought the clutching was wrong on the 850 as according to the manual it comes with 68g weights for 7-9k elevation. When I opened my clutch the weights were 72g for 900-1500 elevation - which is correct elevation for my riding!! I was told by the dealer that 850 for Europe comes with 72g weights. So clutch does not seem to be the problem. What is worse I seem not to be the only person with this problem, I know 2 other riders who switched from 850 back to 800 after several hours on 850. When questioned they said the 800 just feels better for them. Any thoughts on this? I want my 850 with new engine to ride better than the 800 :)

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Before my crank bearings seized I made about 17 hours on the patriot and honestly it never felt good - I could not pin point what exactly is wrong. Now that the engine seized I was forced to go back to my old 800 (2016 model with 1000km) and I immediately felt how good the power was. I do not mean here that the 850 did not have power. Simply on the 800 at full throttle it was so smooth and I felt it pulling strong, I got this immediate "I can go anywhere" feeling. Power at full throttle on 850 was feeling kind of weird, in anyway on 800 it feels so much better. Now Why is that? The 850 was completely stock, 800 has a SLP can.

I thought the clutching was wrong on the 850 as according to the manual it comes with 68g weights for 7-9k elevation. When I opened my clutch the weights were 72g for 900-1500 elevation - which is correct elevation for my riding!! I was told by the dealer that 850 for Europe comes with 72g weights. So clutch does not seem to be the problem. What is worse I seem not to be the only person with this problem, I know 2 other riders who switched from 850 back to 800 after several hours on 850. When questioned they said the 800 just feels better for them. Any thoughts on this? I want my 850 with new engine to ride better than the 800 :)

No comparison between the 800 and 850, I've jumped on my 800 AXYS (after the 850)that has
SLP stage 3 and rips but the 850 is noticeably stronger. Something must have been wrong with your 850 as there is a substantial difference between the two
and many others have said the same.
Good luck getting yours right. Cheers

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
What were the different options/mods/life of each? I strongly feel that my ‘13 800 is more responsive and The power comes on so much harder than my buddies ‘17. On the surface they are the same sled, just his a generation newer with a more powerful, lighter motor. But the more we got into it he has a substally heavier track (3” vs 2.5”) stock clutching, has never adjusted his belt deflection, doesn’t let it warm up before he rides, doesn’t break in belts and has never cleaned his clutches.

So dispite that it’s a stronger, faster, newer sled, it’s still not as “good” feeling. So far my 850 blows my 800 out of the water, and I’m only 6 hrs in. It is substantially smoother power so it doesn’t seem as savage, but it just gets up on the snow and goes. I don’t need as much run in, momentum, and I can climb higher faster in deeper snow. It is essentially the same sled. 155, 2.6”, low handle bars, can, some bags. I carry the same gear, food ect.

My money is that there was something wrong with yours from the beginning, be excited for your new motor and to get it out of break in. It’s an impressive sled for sure.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I would probably also think that my sled was broken from the beginning. But in this poor country where not many sleds are sold there are 3 seized engines including mine. On top of that we are 3 friends, decent riders, all with 850s, and none of us liked the 850. My two friends sold 850s and bought 2019 800 :) So I am not alone with my doubts

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
I would probably also think that my sled was broken from the beginning. But in this poor country where not many sleds are sold there are 3 seized engines including mine. On top of that we are 3 friends, decent riders, all with 850s, and none of us liked the 850. My two friends sold 850s and bought 2019 800 :) So I am not alone with my doubts

Wow sold brand new sleds and bought more brand new ones. I don't know what I'm doing wrong in life?!?! haha

A
Unless the Europe mapping is even worse, there is no way a stock Axys 800 can hold a candle to the new 850. Iv owned plenty of the 800’s and this new patriot would kill my stage 2 Axys.
Something wrong over there with you and your friends sleds.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
how can so many sleds be broken? the only difference I am aware of is that we get 72g weights stock (while you get 68g in the US according to the manual)

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
What elevation are you running your sleds at? Most my experience with European riders is low elevation where you should be running 74grams(stock clutching for us Alaskans) and would explain why your sled feels doggy on the top end.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
elevation is 900-1500meters (3000-5000ft). yes I was running 72g (according to the manual for this elevation). I did not try 74g, should I ? I will when I get a new engine

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Oh no, 3K-5K is much higher than what we typically run.

It'll be interesting to hear if you feel your new engine is performing how you had originally anticipated.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
98 octane shell :) That is certainly not a gas issue, we have a pretty good gas here from Russia :)

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
That could be some of problem to much octane makes a sled feel lazy these sleds are mapped for ****ty ethanol gas here in the states. The 850 seems to have a rich map anyway.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
98 octane shell :) That is certainly not a gas issue, we have a pretty good gas here from Russia :)

That could be some of problem to much octane makes a sled feel lazy these sleds are mapped for ****ty ethanol gas here in the states. The 850 seems to have a rich map anyway.

Europe uses RON, US uses AKI. AKI ratings are 4-6 octane lower for the same fuel. 98 ron is around 93 octane in the US.

Premium Features