• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 Ascender Engine Fail

T
Feb 28, 2016
All is well so far so far. I’m wondering how hard the guys cracking rails are hitting it with their sleds. People break all kinds of mountain rails every day, so it may not be fair to say the alpha is problematic just yet.

9df22aae8b4a4be984fad6b05aba3c93.jpeg

I bent my rail right there... Was wheelying and going pretty quick so I hit pretty hard, it slammed me down real quick. Mine was the first alpha that has been brought in at my local dealer for any problems

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Does burning/hot hyfax smell like weed? I swear I was smelling weed smell randomly today while riding. And me and m buddies dont smoke weed lol.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I agree summ8rmk.....everybody thinks their platform is “the best”. I ride with Cats (a 2017 MC), doos (xm and gen4s), and other Axyss. Tried to enjoy the other sleds, but I am so used to the rigid Polaris feel and front end, I just don’t bother anymore, unless someone has new model/engine. I find the skidoo’s front ends squirly, and the back ends unpredictable with tmotion, and just big wide tanks. XM is really bad for me....gen4 a little better but not much. The Cat.....can’t find the balance point while on edge; it feels like a very small sweet spot to me, and big like a tank.......but that is for me.

What bugs me is the brand loyalty on here, and the urge to defend what these three manufactures throw at us as acceptable. Polaris potential engine reliability ( though my 800HO has been flawless even under 1500 miles of boost), skidoo’s weak bulkheads and quick fix junk (tmotion, flex track) and Cat taking 6 yeas to perfect a chassis.....All ridiculous...

Dream sled for me; Axys Chassis, Cat Alpha skid, and Doo 850 under boost....now there is a sled. Oh...with shot on the 850 so it starts without strapping the primary!!

I would agree entirely except for the Doo "weak bulkhead." That is like saying that Poo arms are weak and Cat Alpha rails break. When you hit stuff, stuff breaks. As far as the "quick fix" stuff, you are spot on. :)

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Reality is, the newer generation sleds have weak points and are somewhat fragile and built for riding with your average person. And I wager a guess that many riders on here are anything but average. Older sleds has really strong chassis and motors, but they also weighed 500 lbs dry and made 135 Hp and got poor mileage. And even then, I remember adding braces and mods to make them stronger. I think of newer sleds a lot like airplanes...built well but with strict stress limits. Go past the G load rating and you have a failure. This all means they require looking over and mindful riding. And if you really want the stout sled, it requires customization and more money. But, dang, they just RIP and are so fun. One thing is for sure...these threads haven't changed a lot over the years...because you will always have some people push and find the limits. But who is gonna stop riding based on failures? Not many... because I see sledders as a special breed...who put up with risk and problems...because that brass ring is worth it. You know who quits the sport? Those who don't want any issues with the day out. But a couch is boring. We will take the problems in this very complicated sport...and ask for more...because this is the coolest sport in the world.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
Reality is, the newer generation sleds have weak points and are somewhat fragile and built for riding with your average person. And I wager a guess that many riders on here are anything but average. Older sleds has really strong chassis and motors, but they also weighed 500 lbs dry and made 135 Hp and got poor mileage. And even then, I remember adding braces and mods to make them stronger. I think of newer sleds a lot like airplanes...built well but with strict stress limits. Go past the G load rating and you have a failure. This all means they require looking over and mindful riding. And if you really want the stout sled, it requires customization and more money. But, dang, they just RIP and are so fun. One thing is for sure...these threads haven't changed a lot over the years...because you will always have some people push and find the limits. But who is gonna stop riding based on failures? Not many... because I see sledders as a special breed...who put up with risk and problems...because that brass ring is worth it. You know who quits the sport? Those who don't want any issues with the day out. But a couch is boring. We will take the problems in this very complicated sport...and ask for more...because this is the coolest sport in the world.

Yep best sport it’s just the freedom to go anywhere which makes sledding great. Just expensive sport but guess u get what u pay for ha.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I had to tow out a Polaris.
Its ok, i didn't break my Rail or tear off the rear tunnel or bumper...
Crazy, I know......
After adding 12oz of antifreeze to my sled, it runs 20° cooler on the trail. Even when towing a Polaris.

Last edited:
D
Aug 18, 2014
Hellingham,wa
You must have a few more details! Alpha is very impressive! I have the same miles as you. No problems except tss went t?t’s up and oil light comes on randomly when moisture finds its way into the wire connection at the tank. Other than that, I’m obsessed with it!

Brent7

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2017
La Grande, Or.
I had to tow out a Polaris.
Its ok, i didn't break my Rail or tear off the rear tunnel or bumper...
Crazy, I know......
After adding 12oz of antifreeze to my sled, it runs 20° cooler on the trail. Even when towing a Polaris.

Lol. I had the same issue. Mine happened at ten miles though on the first ride

cycology1

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2017
good thread, but lots of drift..since its titlesd ascended engine fail I will keep this here

picked up 19 alpha 1 from dealer yesterday and mentioned the hood fitment/snow near intake to them, but they hadn't heard of this.

is this a legit issue w snow eventually making it into air box thru this gap? there definitely is a gap between large engine body panel and upper cover, but havent taken time to look closer.

ps search doesn't seem to work on mobile? I'll look at that later for a fix

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
good thread, but lots of drift..since its titlesd ascended engine fail I will keep this here

picked up 19 alpha 1 from dealer yesterday and mentioned the hood fitment/snow near intake to them, but they hadn't heard of this.

is this a legit issue w snow eventually making it into air box thru this gap? there definitely is a gap between large engine body panel and upper cover, but havent taken time to look closer.

ps search doesn't seem to work on mobile? I'll look at that later for a fix

I think thats on the 18. just ride it.

Premium Features