• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery relocation options

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I have a XM with TKI belt drive that I've added estart to.
Standard battery and location not an option with the belt drive.
Looking for suggestions or ideas.
Would prefer to use an AGM battery, but may consider capacitor.
Thanks in advance!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
My preference is to use a capacitor. Can anyone tell me how many amp I'd need?

Last edited:

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I think I'm learning some things the hard way.
I don't think a capacitor alone will work.
I think there must be a battery.
Perhaps a capacitor will allow a smaller battery to be used. Hoping this to be the case, as this is the root cause of the whole venture in the first place.

Next step is finding the largest battery possible that still fits in sensible location.
If that battery is not powerful enough to crank engine, then a capacitor could be utilized to compensate for the battery's shortcomings.

My hope is that someone is reading this that knows much more than myself, and can enlighten me regarding the aspects I am failing to grasp.

So if you are reading this and you've walked this path, please chime in.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
You'd be better off to use a Lithium , to build a proper capacitor bank to is going to be a pretty decent under taking.

A lithium will give you good CCA once the battery is warmed up. You will likely need to pull start it on really cold mornings. AGM just find the closest CCA battery that fits in the space you have left.

With my can I could turn the battery 90 degrees and it would clear a belt drive no issue , just would need a custom mount.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
You'd be better off to use a Lithium , to build a proper capacitor bank to is going to be a pretty decent under taking.

A lithium will give you good CCA once the battery is warmed up. You will likely need to pull start it on really cold mornings. AGM just find the closest CCA battery that fits in the space you have left.

With my can I could turn the battery 90 degrees and it would clear a belt drive no issue , just would need a custom mount.

Yesterday I bought a motorcycle battery that is about 1/3 the physical size of standard battery. Had plenty of power to start engine at 45 degrees, so should be fine after initial first start of the day..

This weekend I'll get it mounted and post a pic.

Premium Features