• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Summit S Module Bent?

M
Nov 27, 2018
Hey everyone. I read up on a few things after my sled took a hit to the front left ski. Noticed I had a cracked the front suspension support so I started to dissect it. The ski stance was a little awkward due to a broken ski but I noticed the left side that got hit was hanging back a couple of inches after I put it in my truck. Now that it’s all apart and I put a new suspension support in, I’m wondering if anyone would think that my s module itself is bent without any visual sights of damage. Everything looks straight, even my a arms don’t look horrible. I’d hate to put it all back together to take it apart again. Is there any ways to check it out before putting everything back together? Thanks.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
I think if it mounts up nice to the emodule id be fine. Shock centered in the a arms? If not, you better replace it imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M
Nov 27, 2018
The shock was a little off when I started the process but ended up putting my a arms back on held in by just the bolts. This was after I bolted my s module back together with the new support. I let them swing down and they made contact in the same spots, making it seem like everything is back straight again. I'm thinking the little tweek with the support could have thrown it off an inch or two at the ski.

M
Nov 27, 2018
Some pictures of the front clip for determination. :bowl:

Attachments

• E MODULE.jpg
    E MODULE.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 121
  • LEFT SIDE.jpg
    LEFT SIDE.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 100
  • RIGHT SIDE.jpg
    RIGHT SIDE.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 90
  • FRONT.jpg
    FRONT.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 88
  • NEW SMOD.jpg
    NEW SMOD.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 112
F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
Not hard to bend one, lots of them are bent and drive/ride just fine.

So long as it is close, which sounds like it is, align it and ride it.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Would you mind to circle the damage in the pics? It's hard to see as I haven't seen a damaged module before. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I agree with Fez. If the shocks don't rub the upper A arms, and the A arms bolt up okay, I just run it.

If you want a setup that can take some abuse, I am a big fan of Alternative Impact arms bolted to an RS S-mod, all braced with Grip n Rip. Skid plate and beefier bumper to round it out. This has saved me many riding days. My S-mod is reasonably straight too, as the rod ends of the arms tend to snap before any serious damage is done during a ski hit. No guarantee that it will work but I'm satisfied with the results.

M
Nov 27, 2018
I agree with Fez. If the shocks don't rub the upper A arms, and the A arms bolt up okay, I just run it.

If you want a setup that can take some abuse, I am a big fan of Alternative Impact arms bolted to an RS S-mod, all braced with Grip n Rip. Skid plate and beefier bumper to round it out. This has saved me many riding days. My S-mod is reasonably straight too, as the rod ends of the arms tend to snap before any serious damage is done during a ski hit. No guarantee that it will work but I'm satisfied with the results.

Definitley Grip-n-rip installing...Plan on doing some chromoly zbros a arms or something strong if I keep the machine. Thanks for the info! Ill look into the Alternative Impacts.

M
Nov 27, 2018
Kanedog,

I posted a picture of the support that was bent. Upon inspection after the hit, I noticed it was cracked. This houses your lower a arms. It wasn't a horrible bend when it was in the sled but even the slightest measurement difference can equal inches at the ski. Dealer wanted 2000-2500 for the job. Did it for less than 500 with new bars, support, and steering column...in less than 14 hours. If anyone wants a write up on the process, let me know. Came out excellent and it back to being straight as new. Seems to be a weak point. Let me know, don't waste money on a dealer!

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Definitley Grip-n-rip installing...Plan on doing some chromoly zbros a arms or something strong if I keep the machine. Thanks for the info! Ill look into the Alternative Impacts.

I would caution against a "stronger" arm. I went Alt Impact (chromoly, thinner tube, "sacrificial" rod end instead of giant ball joints) because they snap the rod end off readily during impacts to the ski. The stock arms are strong enough they often don't bend while the S-mod gets tweaked. Gets you off the mountain easier than a snapped arm, so it's not the worst idea, but I prefer to swap out a $5-15 rod end on the hill than annual S-mod replacements.

Grip n Rip alone, might be worse, as you might be more likely to bend the E-mod at that point with strong stock arms and braced S-mod, which is bolted to the unbraced E-mod. I looked at it like use a full package approach or keep it stock. Not saying I'm right, just the way I looked at it.

Last edited:
M
Nov 27, 2018
I would caution against a "stronger" arm. I went Alt Impact (chromoly, thinner tube, "sacrificial" rod end instead of giant ball joints) because they snap the rod end off readily during impacts to the ski. The stock arms are strong enough they often don't bend while the S-mod gets tweaked. Gets you off the mountain easier than a snapped arm, so it's not the worst idea, but I prefer to swap out a $5-15 rod end on the hill than annual S-mod replacements.

Grip n Rip alone, might be worse, as you might be more likely to bend the E-mod at that point with strong stock arms and braced S-mod, which is bolted to the unbraced E-mod. I looked at it like use a full package approach or keep it stock. Not saying I'm right, just the way I looked at it.

Yeah that's also what I was cautioned by my skidoo mechanic friend. I'm not entirely sure of what I plan to do yet... an e module would definitely be a pain to do. Somethings gonna give eventually with a hard enough smack!

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I wouldn't do a stronger A-arm but I would do the GnR brace. S-mod bends too easy on small hits and if you're hitting hard enough to do an E-mod you probably would have done one anyway.

I had a braced sled I bent a couple A-arms on with no further damage and then I had an unbraced sled that bent an S-mod and E-mod front plate but didn't hurt an arm. I'm convinced if it was braced it only would have been an A-arm.

M
Nov 27, 2018
I wouldn't do a stronger A-arm but I would do the GnR brace. S-mod bends too easy on small hits and if you're hitting hard enough to do an E-mod you probably would have done one anyway.

I had a braced sled I bent a couple A-arms on with no further damage and then I had an unbraced sled that bent an S-mod and E-mod front plate but didn't hurt an arm. I'm convinced if it was braced it only would have been an A-arm.

I think ill start with the bracing, as my a arms are still within spec... I also think there should be a weakpoint. A arms would be the easiest thing to replace anyways.

Premium Features