• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM Overheating???

4funxs

Lifetime Membership
May 1, 2010
UT
I have a 14 xm 163 that is overheating. Replaced the temp. sensor and the thermostat. It still has an issue, runs great, just after fist 1/2 hour or so warning shows up and during long pulls. It has been an issue in deep or low snow conditions. What recommendation's are there for resolution?

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
call dave trygstad out of mn. he has a different thermostat housing that removes the thermostat and controls water movement, works great on my 872

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
A trick thermostat won't fix a junk water pump or other cooling system component issue. My 13' has only gotten hot on ice with stock cooling system, along with many others out there. Unless I'm misunderstanding, Dave's T-stat addresses power fade from a mild heat soak issue, not full blown over heating.

My thoughts: Does the cooler get hot? Does it puke coolant out of the overflow? Is the engine itself getting hot or does it seem more like a sensor issue? Have you run the engine with front end up on a ramp, with the pressure cap off, to get air bubbles out? Does the cap seal to the bottle properly?

An IR thermometer can be useful in this situation to monitor temperatures.

Last edited:

4funxs

Lifetime Membership
May 1, 2010
UT
A trick thermostat won't fix a junk water pump or other cooling system component issue. My 13' has only gotten hot on ice with stock cooling system, along with many others out there. Unless I'm misunderstanding, Dave's T-stat addresses power fade from a mild heat soak issue, not full blown over heating.

My thoughts: Does the cooler get hot? Does it puke coolant out of the overflow? Is the engine itself getting hot or does it seem more like a sensor issue? Have you run the engine with front end up on a ramp, with the pressure cap off, to get air bubbles out? Does the cap seal to the bottle properly?

An IR thermometer can be useful in this situation to monitor temperatures.

The cooler gets hot and it does puke coolant out the overflow. We have left it on the ramp with the cap off. It does seem to seal well, I have other xm's, next trip we will swap caps with one of those.

Thanks for the help on trouble shooting.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Any updates here?
I think I’m dealing with a similar problem- she gets heat soaked and I get a power loss despite average 45c on the mtn, 53ish on the trail, all at four bars on the dash.

RAV tubes and solenoid been replaced- which helped.

Anyone experience some power loss with heat soaked coils??

Been thinking of doing a dual ring piston top end with powder freaks head and thermostat housing. Maybe y pipe too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features