• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo or save money and buy a G4?

Turbo or G4

• Turbo T3

Votes: 36 23.2%
  • Buy G4

Votes: 82 52.9%
  • Ride a camel

Votes: 37 23.9%

• Total voters

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
I'm really torn what to do. So I just bought this 16 T3 174 and if I sell it now I'm gonna take a hard loss. Turbo it and enjoy for a couple years or cut my losses and get the new model?

Any current turbo owners tried the new G4 and have an opinion with more insight?

I love my turbo xm, really wanting to try the new 18 tho, ill trade ya so I can trade in the stock sled for a gen 4

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Why take a 5k loss?

Put a non-intercooled Boost-it kit on for 5k and be done! All these guys want you to go to the G4 'cause they haven't had any luck with a Turbo 2S? Trust me... I've run nothing but Turbo'd sleds since '02. Four 2 smokes and two 4 bangers. I learned a lot. Enough to know they can be pull and go. Of course the longevity of the engine goes down. Once you ride a GOOD running Turbo, there is no going back! JMO

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Get the G4.

Buy what you want the first time and spend less in the long run. Expensive lesson but true.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
If you want a turbo'd xm, buy a used one. You can pick them up for pennys on the dollar. Sell your stocker and offset most of the cost.

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
BB 872 or Turbo or G4

I have a 15 T3 174, last February I rode my sled and a BB 872 163 T3 and a G4 165 all the same day in Cooke. G4 out handled both the T3's but the performance difference between the BB 872 and the G4 wasn't that great, I felt that the BB 872 actually seemed to pull harder. If I was in your spot I would go with the BB 872 and ride it for a couple seasons till they get all the bugs out of the G4. With the BB you don't have to mess with tuning it all the time, just gas and oil pull and go. Just my $.02

D

Dock

Dec 4, 2007
Langley BC
I went though this exact thing last year. I have a 2015 xm T3 and i Love it. I thought about buying a Gen 4 but for half the price with a trade in i went with a turbo.

For performance my XM will minimally out perform the Gen 4, i can back this up as i had a day where i could rip a line, then jump on my buddies Gen 4 and run the same line. The Gen 4 would still make it to where the turbo went but it just took a little more dangle. I ran full av gas in my sled and 5lbs of boost to try to keep it reliable.

If i had to do it again i wouldn't turbo, i would save a buy new. here's why. I like the performance of the turbo, i like to be in front of the Gen 4s, but the turbo makes the sled insanely unreliable and i don't mean the motor. These sleds are not meant to have that much horsepower put to them. I was on a trip and blew my reeds out (stock), had to come home early. I was out on a huge powder day and twisted my driveshaft and stripped my drivers (stock). Aside from that I usually only get 500kms to 750kms on a belt stock sled, with the turbo if you stay pinned for any length of time it will blow a belt. I was going through a belt every 300kms and would pack 3 with me at all times.

Looking back when i decided to turbo i should have bought reeds, driveshafts, clutch stabilizers, anything i could to support the turbo, but by the time you do this you aren't half price of a Gen 4 anymore, your now almost the same price which is why i'd say just buy a Gen 4.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
cause I'm from BC I pay through the nose. After taxes I paid mid 17 grand. I figure i'll get 10-12 for trade in now....5-7grand hit. Thanks to Alberta oil hitting rock bottom no one is buying jack, my Nytro hasn't got a single call from anything west of Saskatchewan.

This is completely why I don’t buy new anymore, too much loss in the first year. Always now a hold over or barely used.
If I were you id sell the sled now, your just going to loss more if you hold on it longer.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
I went though this exact thing last year. I have a 2015 xm T3 and i Love it. I thought about buying a Gen 4 but for half the price with a trade in i went with a turbo.

For performance my XM will minimally out perform the Gen 4, i can back this up as i had a day where i could rip a line, then jump on my buddies Gen 4 and run the same line. The Gen 4 would still make it to where the turbo went but it just took a little more dangle. I ran full av gas in my sled and 5lbs of boost to try to keep it reliable.

If i had to do it again i wouldn't turbo, i would save a buy new. here's why. I like the performance of the turbo, i like to be in front of the Gen 4s, but the turbo makes the sled insanely unreliable and i don't mean the motor. These sleds are not meant to have that much horsepower put to them. I was on a trip and blew my reeds out (stock), had to come home early. I was out on a huge powder day and twisted my driveshaft and stripped my drivers (stock). Aside from that I usually only get 500kms to 750kms on a belt stock sled, with the turbo if you stay pinned for any length of time it will blow a belt. I was going through a belt every 300kms and would pack 3 with me at all times.

Looking back when i decided to turbo i should have bought reeds, driveshafts, clutch stabilizers, anything i could to support the turbo, but by the time you do this you aren't half price of a Gen 4 anymore, your now almost the same price which is why i'd say just buy a Gen 4.

Surprised you haven't split the stock pipe with all the problems you've had! I have a TSS side mount non-intercooled. 7lbs straight Av, 40:1 in the tank, no problems. Just under 900km. Changed my belt once after 500km because after you grenade a belt on the E-tec, the bottom end piles up. If you set your sled up properly you won't have these problems. I ride as hard as the next guy!

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I definitely second the belt thing. I blew a belt on mine and the next day I sent a rod threw the block. Definitely watch your belts

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Premium Features