• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 and SHR !

a question for bj or any other expert . what causes a dud build ? seen a few times same sled ,same bb kit .one runs like **** the other like a raped ape . and it is not just clutching ,rider etc .one will just have a poor running quality,no power, glitchy ,a regular pain in the *** . we did a bb kit a few years back,2500 miles later my son parked it in a big balsam tree ,ruined the chassis but the motor is still kicking *** in someone else"s sled .other kits of that brand not so much .

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
OK...

SOME of you cant read between the lines and some can...

The 880 I fixed was one of 4? from back whenever and I don't care, it was what Dave said to the customer that brought him to me...the 880 still had the LW crank, 16.8 domes, crank shop pistons and TMX carbs with CS twins...pretty much Daves work...the post also includes the 860 guys too...

As for ATTACKING? I only DEFEND myself and business...I DONT put OBVIOUS digs on my website...I don't need to put anyone else down...had many calls from customers "after" a call to some guys who feel mud slinging is a sales pitch.

YES my minions pimp my work...BUT I keep them in line if they get too chippy, ask them.

If I post that I fixed a BB motor because it ran poorly or blew up...most have had little too ZERO porting, mis fitted pistons with a head either .020" too loose or deto central too tight..clearly NOT making any HP...these are the ones that give some of us a bad name (I include Dave as one of the few that DOES build a good motor)... its some of HIS minions that go off half cocked and create the DRAMA.

That's ALL I DOO is build /fix motors be it stock or mod or someone elses ...the list is long and proud of what got fixed that was once a POS...

I never turn MY customers away and bend over backwards (when possible) to fix any motors of mine...even WTY or flat out buy the motor back if the customer didn't get what I promised...

I have a wall full of plaques, trophies, ribbons and awards to prove my TRAIL builds run and win when put into competition...I know the same guys at ski-doo, get offers to build motors but I decline for a multitude of reasons...call me if one of your "race" motors held a sustained FULL throttle for over 2 minutes ona a mountain climb...getting HOME is sometimes "a slice of performance" that most of MY customers prefer....

Winter Brews post was pretty much spot on and some of you should put down the beer goggles...its very un becoming.

*flynnigan..."assuming" the motor is built to spec...the Ski-Doo ECM, sensors, solenoids, clutching, jetting, reeds etc....there are a multitude of "gremlins" that can mess up a perfect build...and that includes YOU guys (don't own torque wrenches, don't read instructions, don't know what the shiny brass things are or even drink and build etc.)...I know Dave can agree.

MY THREAD was put up to inform...
MY THREAD was to offer help to guys/gals who want it...
MY THREAD got derailed BY some of YOU guys who think for some reason??? its their job to discredit or attack.

IF YOU guys (you know who you are) kindly delete YOUR attack posts it might show to the "open forum" YOU have an ounce of respect to 1 of the VERY few guys that have been on SW since 2001 HELPING...been in the BIZ since 1993 and will be here to help for years to come.

BJ

Last edited:
K

KMCP

Nov 1, 2013
CO
I've read this long post but have my opinion... It really doesn't matter who builds the original new motor. But that customer probably paid good money to his builder for services and more times than none received a good product.. What I don't agree with is when modified sleds with race specs, not trail, are sold and passed on down the line, most of the time are abused and had the chit ran put of Em. Some guys maintain well but most aren't capable of tuning a weedwacker. We all know they have a shorter life cycle but can be wonderful motors if taken care of,, lots of life... But these guys that pick a 4-5yr mod sled from someone and usually buy them very cheap, think they have the right to the same treatment as the guy who put down the hard earned 13k for the latest and greatest when it was new,, and usually he does so every other year. God only knows what the hell that sled has gone thru... A lot are sold because they broke, and usually were repaired with the cheapest fix just to send it down the road. We've all been there.. I wouldn't buy any sled that I dint know the sled or owner.. If not, wouldn't touch it. I realize not all can offord it too. But it's not fair for these builders to be expected to warranty and service and supply parts for these motors indefinitely... At some point it's a business and must be run like a business. Lastly.. It's one thing for the builder to fully support the good customer who originally built it it but that guy who calls in 4 yrs later, builder doesn't know him from Adam,, is in a whole different light in my opinion.... When you buy a used race sled, whether it had developmental type parts or not, needs to understand what buyer beware means and they too should know going into it and share some responsibility,,, you get what you pay for in other words! These aren't trail sleds.

Last edited:
F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
OK...

SOME of you cant read between the lines and some can...

The 880 I fixed was one of 4? from back whenever and I don't care, it was what Dave said to the customer that brought him to me...the 880 still had the LW crank, 16.8 domes, crank shop pistons and TMX carbs with CS twins...pretty much Daves work...the post also includes the 860 guys too...

As for ATTACKING? I only DEFEND myself and business...I DONT put OBVIOUS digs on my website...I don't need to put anyone else down...had many calls from customers "after" a call to some guys who feel mud slinging is a sales pitch.

YES my minions pimp my work...BUT I keep them in line if they get too chippy, ask them.

If I post that I fixed a BB motor because it ran poorly or blew up...most have had little too ZERO porting, mis fitted pistons with a head either .020" too loose or deto central too tight..clearly NOT making any HP...these are the ones that give some of us a bad name (I include Dave as one of the few that DOES build a good motor)... its some of HIS minions that go off half cocked and create the DRAMA.

That's ALL I DOO is build /fix motors be it stock or mod or someone elses ...the list is long and proud of what got fixed that was once a POS...

I never turn MY customers away and bend over backwards (when possible) to fix any motors of mine...even WTY or flat out buy the motor back if the customer didn't get what I promised...

I have a wall full of plaques, trophies, ribbons and awards to prove my TRAIL builds run and win when put into competition...I know the same guys at ski-doo, get offers to build motors but I decline for a multitude of reasons...call me if one of your "race" motors held a sustained FULL throttle for over 2 minutes ona a mountain climb...getting HOME is sometimes "a slice of performance" that most of MY customers prefer....

Winter Brews post was pretty much spot on and some of you should put down the beer goggles...its very un becoming.

*flynnigan..."assuming" the motor is built to spec...the Ski-Doo ECM, sensors, solenoids, clutching, jetting, reeds etc....there are a multitude of "gremlins" that can mess up a perfect build...and that includes YOU guys (don't own torque wrenches, don't read instructions, don't know what the shiny brass things are or even drink and build etc.)...I know Dave can agree.

MY THREAD was put up to inform...
MY THREAD was to offer help to guys/gals who want it...
MY THREAD got derailed BY some of YOU guys who think for some reason??? its their job to discredit or attack.

IF YOU guys (you know who you are) kindly delete YOUR attack posts it might show to the "open forum" YOU have an ounce of respect to 1 of the VERY few guys that have been on SW since 2001 HELPING...been in the BIZ since 1993 and will be here to help for years to come.

BJ

I remember that mill, I also remembering my jaw hitting the floor when we cc'd the domes.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I've read this long post but have my opinion... It really doesn't matter who builds the original new motor. But that customer probably paid good money to his builder for services and more times than none received a good product.. What I don't agree with is when modified sleds with race specs, not trail, are sold and passed on down the line, most of the time are abused and had the chit ran put of Em. Some guys maintain well but most aren't capable of tuning a weedwacker. We all know they have a shorter life cycle but can be wonderful motors if taken care of,, lots of life... But these guys that pick a 4-5yr mod sled from someone and usually buy them very cheap, think they have the right to the same treatment as the guy who put down the hard earned 13k for the latest and greatest when it was new,, and usually he does so every other year. God only knows what the hell that sled has gone thru... A lot are sold because they broke, and usually were repaired with the cheapest fix just to send it down the road. We've all been there.. I wouldn't buy any sled that I dint know the sled or owner.. If not, wouldn't touch it. I realize not all can offord it too. But it's not fair for these builders to be expected to warranty and service and supply parts for these motors indefinitely... At some point it's a business and must be run like a business. Lastly.. It's one thing for the builder to fully support the good customer who originally built it it but that guy who calls in 4 yrs later, builder doesn't know him from Adam,, is in a whole different light in my opinion.... When you buy a used race sled, whether it had developmental type parts or not, needs to understand what buyer beware means and they too should know going into it and share some responsibility,,, you get what you pay for in other words! These aren't trail sleds.

KMCP I appreciate your post and I understand what your saying... I even agree to a point...(passing on a 900 Polaris motor comes too mind LOL)...

BUT...

This customer wanted parts or service for an engine built by the builder...NOT warranty...just replacement parts or even to send the motor back to get freshened up...just needed a crank, pistons and lower comp domes (all parts are still available, hell even a "parts changer" like me fixed it:face-icon-small-coo)...the job seemed reasonable, be it the original guy or this guy and $$$ in the pocket from a NEW customer:present:...is always a bonus.

IMHO...its that simple...BJ

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I have fixed/repaired dozens of Daves 860/880 because he doesn't support HIS own older motors...not a dig, just a fact.

After reading this thread top to bottom, this is the only thing that kinda irks me.

BJ

And for no other reason that it's been told on this thread that there was 4-880's and less than a dozen 860's. I dunno but to be completely fair, BJ should alter his original post to fit the confines of his latest post.

And with that, I've seen Trygstad's motors do well over the years, and most of that is rider. Not the motor. How many times has the Stock(Imp, Mod) 5 or 600 winner at a RMSHA event went on to win Stock(Imp, Mod) King? It's happened so many times it's uncountable, and has happened at Jackson Hole more than a few times(actually someone who has the results probably can come up with a number) but the fact remains that the motor builder does not win races for the talented individuals who ride the machines.

I've also seen some Factory Mod motors that had very little in the way of "factory" to them. Pitiful actually. And anyone who puts their name on those motors should be ashamed.

And my only other point, is that Trygstad built these motors(or just this single motor) in question for Doo's race team, and that's all, as far as I'm concerned, every motor made by a company for a factory squad(Black Magic, D&D, and FAST jump out as the first ones to mind) should never be re-sold into the public. They aren't meant to live long lives, and anyone who buys one thinking otherwise is unfortunately naive.

I've never so much as bought a spark plug from either of these companies, and knowing how SMALL the SW family really is,(although we think the forum includes everyone who rides a sled) there is tons of good and bad from every brand and builder I'm positive.

With all that being said, if I was in need of a Doo motor builder, I would not hesitate to give BJ a call and fork over as much money as he told me to, because I know from his "minions" that he does excellent work. We haven't always seen things the same way, we haven't always understood each other, but you gotta give a guy credit where credit is due. That's why I wouldn't think twice about calling John for any Doo work I would need.

Fortunately I am my own "parts changer" and have a real real close connection with my own group of "parts changers" that have turned turds into screamers so I don't see a Sledheads Racing sticker going on my sled anytime soon. But rest assured if there was a sticker to go on my windshield, it would most likely be BJ's.

Last edited:

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
After reading this thread top to bottom, this is the only thing that kinda irks me.

And for no other reason that it's been told on this thread that there was 4-880's and less than a dozen 860's. I dunno but to be completely fair, BJ should alter his original post to fit the confines of his latest post.

And with that, I've seen Trygstad's motors do well over the years, and most of that is rider. Not the motor. How many times has the Stock(Imp, Mod) 5 or 600 winner at a RMSHA event went on to win Stock(Imp, Mod) King? It's happened so many times it's uncountable, and has happened at Jackson Hole more than a few times(actually someone who has the results probably can come up with a number) but the fact remains that the motor builder does not win races for the talented individuals who ride the machines.

I've also seen some Factory Mod motors that had very little in the way of "factory" to them. Pitiful actually. And anyone who puts their name on those motors should be ashamed.

And my only other point, is that Trygstad built these motors(or just this single motor) in question for Doo's race team, and that's all, as far as I'm concerned, every motor made by a company for a factory squad(Black Magic, D&D, and FAST jump out as the first ones to mind) should never be re-sold into the public. They aren't meant to live long lives, and anyone who buys one thinking otherwise is unfortunately naive.

I've never so much as bought a spark plug from either of these companies, and knowing how SMALL the SW family really is,(although we think the forum includes everyone who rides a sled) there is tons of good and bad from every brand and builder I'm positive.

With all that being said, if I was in need of a Doo motor builder, I would not hesitate to give BJ a call and fork over as much money as he told me to, because I know from his "minions" that he does excellent work. We haven't always seen things the same way, we haven't always understood each other, but you gotta give a guy credit where credit is due. That's why I wouldn't think twice about calling John for any Doo work I would need.

Fortunately I am my own "parts changer" and have a real real close connection with my own group of "parts changers" that have turned turds into screamers so I don't see a Sledheads Racing sticker going on my sled anytime soon. But rest assured if there was a sticker to go on my windshield, it would most likely be BJ's.

As always Reeb I appreciate your insight and experience (many years on SW)... as for Dave (his minions) facts... I know of 3 880s personally (2 trail 1 race)...and have fixed many 860's...he did 860's for a couple years before the 872 and sold them through star valley ski doo for years...he has sold his fair share of 860s...and with an open statement on HIS web site stated they are JUNK...my phone rings to fix them...

I have never openly attacked anyone...its only when pushed into a corner by said minions I come out swinging...(I can only be PC for so long) and there are ALOT more things I know that I wont share...

As usual...the "TETONICES" of the world are stirring the pot and then "cry foul" when caught...sigh BJ:face-icon-small-coo

W

Washy

Feb 14, 2008
Langdon
I disagree. I dont think there is anything wrong with knowing where everyone stands.

I agree with deaner. This is the type of thread I like. I'm in the market for a big bore and find these threads informative. Bs or no bs. I've read it a few times now.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I agree let it go on I can sift thru it all. I think both builders know how to make strong engines.I have had 1 big bore one turbo and many piped and stock sleds. Turbos are not for everyone just like big bores etc. I saw the star valley video and others of trygstads 872 and appreciate what is there . BUT not apples to apples comparo. 146 vs 154 . I want to see BJ 860 vs stock sled same track etc as well as any other comparo eg turbo vs big bore but same track . Track can make more gains than turbo or big bore at times.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
I agree with deaner. This is the type of thread I like. I'm in the market for a big bore and find these threads informative. Bs or no bs. I've read it a few times now.

If you like to call I would give you the information your looking for...

This isn't my first rodeo (been on here helping fellow riders longer than, well anyone :face-icon-small-coo)...have 860 ETECS on the shelf...BJ

Premium Features