• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Polaris Survey

How satisfied are you with your Polaris? Please click all that apply.

• Best sled I've ever owned!

Votes: 232 37.2%
  • Nice, but not what I was expecting.

Votes: 97 15.5%
  • Can I give it back?

Votes: 142 22.8%
  • Best performing motor ever!

Votes: 71 11.4%
  • Had some problems, but I'm glad they keep trying.

Votes: 164 26.3%
  • Never mind I'll do it myself.

Votes: 124 19.9%
  • Fit and finish is incredible!

Votes: 38 6.1%
  • I've seen better.

Votes: 115 18.4%
  • Give the kid his crayons back so he quits touching my sled.

Votes: 35 5.6%
  • Engineering that sets the standards!

Votes: 49 7.9%
  • It looks good on paper, but falls short by the time it leaves the assembly line.

Votes: 159 25.5%
  • You were one of those kids trying to put the triangle in the round hole weren't you.

Votes: 42 6.7%
  • I can't say enough about Polaris dealer support!

Votes: 88 14.1%
  • My dealer is always helpful, but doesn't always have the latest info.

Votes: 136 21.8%
  • Why do I know more than they do?

Votes: 160 25.6%

• Total voters
S
Oct 17, 2008
I"ve owned ten Polaris sleds between 1993 and 2004 and the only polaris I would buy today would be a carbed 600. My 04 was an 800, and i currently ride a 660 buillt by Iantomasi T&T. The 440/600 motor has much better transfer ports than the big block motors, a tougher crank/rod assembly and gear driven water/oil pumps. It spools up faster and is capable of making more power. Well, most of you know this already. So why is the small block 800 so problematic?? I think the answer lies in where polaris is putting the fuel into their motor. When they used the 4 injector system, the motor wouldn't respond at the transition point....transitioning from well atomised fuel to poorly atomised fuel delivered by the injectors closest to the cylinder. As we know with carburation, a crankcase full of non vaporized fuel makes for a very hard to tune engine. And maybe one reason why Cat has resisted transfer/boost port injection. Unburned fuel in the combustion chamber causes a whole nother host of problems...Although placing the injectors closer to the cylinder may lead a polaris engineer to believe he is gaining control over fuel delivery, if fuel is not fully vaporized when it enters the cylinder, he is tuning a ghost. I won't be buying any more polariss, i don't walk around in a polaris jacket any more, and since Tiller got his $54 million, the polaris snowmobile division has been dying a slow death.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I"ve owned ten Polaris sleds between 1993 and 2004 and the only polaris I would buy today would be a carbed 600. My 04 was an 800, and i currently ride a 660 buillt by Iantomasi T&T. The 440/600 motor has much better transfer ports than the big block motors, a tougher crank/rod assembly and gear driven water/oil pumps. It spools up faster and is capable of making more power. Well, most of you know this already. So why is the small block 800 so problematic?? I think the answer lies in where polaris is putting the fuel into their motor. When they used the 4 injector system, the motor wouldn't respond at the transition point....transitioning from well atomised fuel to poorly atomised fuel delivered by the injectors closest to the cylinder. As we know with carburation, a crankcase full of non vaporized fuel makes for a very hard to tune engine. And maybe one reason why Cat has resisted transfer/boost port injection. Unburned fuel in the combustion chamber causes a whole nother host of problems...Although placing the injectors closer to the cylinder may lead a polaris engineer to believe he is gaining control over fuel delivery, if fuel is not fully vaporized when it enters the cylinder, he is tuning a ghost. I won't be buying any more polariss, i don't walk around in a polaris jacket any more, and since Tiller got his $54 million, the polaris snowmobile division has been dying a slow death.

I think that is one of many problems, but yes I do have to agree with you. The one injector is spraying directly at the cylinder and in no way taking advantage of engine vacuum to help atomize the fuel. It was definitely another one of those things that I looked at and shook my head. I am in no way a fuel injection expert, but this just didn't look right. It's like they were hoping to cool the cylinder by spraying fuel on it. :nono:

I'm curious when they spend millions on testing what they learn. Why did this design ever go into production. There is no way they didn't see these problems in the field. Far too many failures to prove otherwise. I still say for all the additional millions Polaris invested on updates and changes that they could have saved face and given people their money back.

I recently sold my dragon to a good friend and even with all the time and money invested trying to make that thing right it still failed on his first ride. Sounds like a lower end issue, but we won't get to investigate for awhile yet. These motors are just doomed to fail.

This experience has taught me something though. I can build a more dependable fun mountain sled for just a fraction of a new one. Which is what I'm going to do. Welcome back Yamaha (2 stroke). lol :high5:

Premium Features