• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

For Everyone with an 08-10 D8 Please Read

General Feelings on 08-10 Polaris D8

• Total voters
T
Dec 4, 2007
crescent,
unless you leave your sled outside in EXTREME cold, keep 50/50 mix. The water does the cooling, the anti-freeze is just that, keeping for water from freezing. more anti-freeze actually lowers the water's ability to cool. there are two products out there that i know of, one is called "ice", that you add to the coolant that helps with cooling. I used it in my 4-wheeler b/c of mud clogged radiator which made a huge difference. I would not remove the t-stat. the engine will take much more time to warm up. unless the t-stat is bad, there could be an underlining issue. you can test the t-stat by boiling it with a thermometer and seeing that it opens half, and full, at the right temps. I dont know what the temp should be tho.

P

poliguy

Oct 1, 2009
south east idaho
nooooooo. water dosn't do all the cooling think about it water starts to boil at like around 110 to 120?? any way anti freeze also protects from over heating as well its kind important in the heat transfer process that takes place in the cooling system mix it 50/50 go to much antifreeze and in realy cold temps it will start to gel.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
nooooooo. water dosn't do all the cooling think about it water starts to boil at like around 110 to 120?? any way anti freeze also protects from over heating as well its kind important in the heat transfer process that takes place in the cooling system mix it 50/50 go to much antifreeze and in realy cold temps it will start to gel.

110 starting to boil?????????????????:face-icon-small-dis

I thought it was 212* F

or 100* C

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Ok I finally voted. And I likely didn't add anything positive.

50%/50% Water, anti freeze unless you need more to keep it from freezing is what you want. Here in North Idaho where I live water boils at about 208 degrees in open atmosphere a little less pressure up here. Under pressure like in a pressurized motor system or in a pressure cooker, if you’re into canning, it is an even higher temp. I knew that thermodynamics class would come in handy someday I just didn’t know it would take 23 yrs. 50 50 mix

M

Motoman

Dec 31, 2007
franklin, id
redline makes a product called water wetter which helps a lot. I was having overheat issues with my 05 m7 bored to an 800 and I added the water wetter and the over heat issues went away.
ya water boils at 212 and antifreeze will raise that:face-icon-small-win

T
Dec 4, 2007
Yes, you are correct on it raising the boiling point as well.

Specific Heat Capacity is the amount of heat a particular substance can hold. The rate depicts how many kilojoules of energy are required to change the temperature of one kilogram of said substance by one Kelvin.

water is 4.184 kJ/kgK
glycol, antifeeze is 2.38 kJ/kgK

water has almost twice the heat holding ability of glycol

sledfarm1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
MN
Another 800 CFI story

I have an 09 800 shift rmk. My mods to this sled were V-force III reeds and an SLP big air kit. On Feb 16th riding down the trail near Togwottee the engine sputtered and died. When my dealer got into the motor you could see that a piece had broken off the piston skirt which took off part of the cylinder skirt. All of these pieces exited through the bottom of the crankcase. The pistons showed no sign of heat damage and there was plenty of oil residue in the crankcase. Polaris has denied my warranty because of the modified air intake. I had put about 200 miles on the update at home in southern MN and about 160 miles in the mountains. I had a pcv and pipe at home but had not installed them yet because I wanted to get the motor broke in and see how it ran. Just my story for those who are having similar problems.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
I have an 09 800 shift rmk. My mods to this sled were V-force III reeds and an SLP big air kit. On Feb 16th riding down the trail near Togwottee the engine sputtered and died. When my dealer got into the motor you could see that a piece had broken off the piston skirt which took off part of the cylinder skirt. All of these pieces exited through the bottom of the crankcase. The pistons showed no sign of heat damage and there was plenty of oil residue in the crankcase. Polaris has denied my warranty because of the modified air intake. I had put about 200 miles on the update at home in southern MN and about 160 miles in the mountains. I had a pcv and pipe at home but had not installed them yet because I wanted to get the motor broke in and see how it ran. Just my story for those who are having similar problems.

From what I understand the stock reed cage and petals are very similar to the Moto-Tassinari or Boysen styles in both design and performance. Not saying it won't help in some way or another but if they are going to be this picky about warranty repairs this would be one thing not to mess with in my opinion!!

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana

mine did this 2 wks ago, all mine has on it is a hps can, they warrantied an engine but had to do it in pieces because a long block was a long ways out, 08/09 cases, 10 crank,rods,pistons,hd and 8/9 cylinder

S
Mar 23, 2010
SLC, UT
I am new here and just took the survey about the 08-10 D8 sleds. I noticed the survey results and was shocked at the percentage of happy riders of the D8. Under 40%. That is sad for Polaris. I'm not a happy rider right now. I think the 09 D8 is more like an iguana than a dragon. I have had a motor failure and RPM problems from the day I bought it. I wonder if Polaris cares.

How do I get the custome avi?

S
Mar 23, 2010
SLC, UT
Ummmm what is a PCV? I'm not so smart.

09 Assault, no problems before the update, no problems after the update. 2200 miles overall. Installed PCV right after the update. Everyone should buy a PCV and disregard EPA intrusion into our sport, just like the motorcycle industry has done! We all know why they have driveability issues, don't we? Stop blaming Polaris and put the blame where it belongs! The FEDS! Start voting the right way and lets get the goverment out of our lives.

God! will a PCV help my 09 "Iguana"? I don't even know what one is but I will take 2 if it will help my POS.

What does it do? Where do I get one?
If I wait for Pooparis I will be waiting a long time. The second season of complete let down is coming to an end and I want to ride.
Is Polaris listening?

M

mchilcutt

Dec 24, 2007
That is such a killer video i love it. Glad i bought a 700 DRAGON. It is bull**** that Poo hasnt stepped up to take care of the consumer on this whole RMP issue. Nothing 2 gallons of gas and a match wont take care of.
MC

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario
BOG

polaris phoned last night,said they will fix the bog on all 09 800.This will be covered under waranty till they are fixed.Call your dealer,you might be surprised.

S
Mar 23, 2010
SLC, UT
polaris phoned last night,said they will fix the bog on all 09 800.This will be covered under waranty till they are fixed.Call your dealer,you might be surprised.

Went to the dealer last week....For the 5th time.....They just sit there with a dumb look on their face.......Yes I was surprised. I thought they might have some answers.......no....Thats surprising.

So I still want my money back unless a PCV might fix it. I will re-flash the junker myself. Just another few hundred to waste on the "Iguana" . Maybe a hot rock would make it feel better.

Until then this is how it should used.......click the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoxN6q4cbEg

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I do hope you're right, but I was at my dealer today and he didn't know anything about any further updates/fixes or extensions of warranty until the issues are addressed.

P
Dec 8, 2007
Alberta
Sorry i need to vent a bit. I used to work for 3 Polaris dealers and was in the business for 9 yrs. My 09 Dragon 800 is starting to resemble a 900! 4 top ends and one complete motor. Mid range issues, DET sensor, TPS sensor, throttle cable, reeds and now another top end and a primary clutch. I have 2100 miles, all mountain between 5-9000ft. I just serviced clutches before last trip and the shaft split in half. I've never even blown a belt with this sled and Polaris won't warranty b/c it's not covered under second yr engine warranty. They said it must be a balance issue. I phoned they said they can only file a complaint. Bet your *** i won't be buying another Polaris and everyone around me will probably do the same. I've been patient and worked with them to rectify the problems but this is B.S. No wonder they have 4 yr warranty on the new RMK, they probably still don't have a clue what's wrong. Sorry for the rant. I'm done.

S
Mar 23, 2010
SLC, UT
I called my selling dealer yesterday and expressed my my complete dissatisfaction for my "Iguana" and asked for my money back...That didn't work. I will call Poo next week and give them a chance to make me happy by refunding my money, extending warranty, or something. If I don't get the results I want the POS will be up for sale and I will bad mouth Poo for as long as I live. I hold a grudge FOREVER!

I have the key to the gate of a 16,000 acre ranch of my in-laws in the Uintas and my friends won't even call me to ride. They are sick of me *****ing and they say I'm too slow.

I truly think that POO does not care about the problems. They might/will be gone in a few year and people will forget. NOT ME!

I know nobody cares about my problems.

I think I will look in to the Utah "Lemon" law and see if it could help in a law suit. If it does I will let everybody know.

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
2 08 d8 with 1800 miles now, one blew up twice with the single ring pistons and now with the 10 update and broke the steering post at the tee, the other blew up with the 10 upgrade and broke the steering post at the weld

Premium Features