• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

looking for feedback on leatt neck brace

raceu4it

Lifetime Membership
after seeing these recently and most moto x guys are wearing them, thought would be good investment for sledding, it seems that i go for tumbles more often now, and the last one kinda hurt do the stick man cartwheel at silent pass. so on the sport leatt the only difference is the carbon fibre upgrade on the expensive one? okay feedback time.

wheresthesnow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 2, 2008
Kennewick, WA
I wear one on the MX track and like it, its the $395 one. I've never thought much about wearing it for snowmobiling, I don't ever hear of guys getting spinal injuries from snowmobiling. Unfortunately for mx it seems like its way to common nowadays, so I wear it.

The one up from the $395 one is $600, its a little lighter is all, I think it is 70 grams, but I could be wrong, I calculated the difference when I saw it on paper and didn't think I'd be able to notice a difference. They do have a new one coming out in October for $195, supposed to have the same protective features, just with less ajustability.

You can't notice enough difference to make it worth paying the extra money (unless you have the money to throw around). I wear it on the mx track, the road bike and the snowmobile. I figure if I meet a tree or another sled head on or whatever else it will help plus it keeps your neck warmer and if you wear a back pack or avalanche pack the straps fit right in where the chest protector does if you were one in mx. I won't ride anything with out mine!

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
You can't notice enough difference to make it worth paying the extra money (unless you have the money to throw around). I wear it on the mx track, the road bike and the snowmobile. I figure if I meet a tree or another sled head on or whatever else it will help plus it keeps your neck warmer and if you wear a back pack or avalanche pack the straps fit right in where the chest protector does if you were one in mx. I won't ride anything with out mine!

We were having some difficulty getting the leatt to work with a snowmobile jacket. What are you doing to make this work? Or, are just leaving the upper portion unzipped?

F

Flying Snow

Nov 28, 2007
South dakota
I dont know if you need one or sleding, I only wear one for racing my quad and they get tiring on your neck walking around our sitting there for a while. BUt i can tell you they saved my neck!. I was racing and flipped over after hitting another guy and a hole, I rolled down the hill but at the same time a guy ran my leg over then another guy ran my head over. I got up in about a minute(had to catch my breath). But my neck didnt hurt at all like it normaly did when i wreck. So if your racing hard i say get one but for sleding get a donut!

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I'm really interested in them,
but I'm not sure that they can be worn with a Tek-Vest and I'm certaily not willing
to give up the vest

Last edited:
I just zip my jacket up all the way and it fits fine with a tech vest or a back pack..... PM me and I will take pictures of it on over my jacket and send them to you.......
As far as if you should wear one sledding or not. I would say 210% yes! You never know what kind of situation you will get into whether you are riding crazy back country or just cruising on the trails it will save your a$$ if something ever happens.... Don't listen to flyin snow. The donuts don't do crap they are made out of soft foam and if you hit hard enough to need the neck brace to do something all the foam does is collapse down and gives NO SUPPORT!

P

Powlaris rdr

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 18, 2007
Snohomish WA.
I dont know if you need one or sleding, I only wear one for racing my quad and they get tiring on your neck walking around our sitting there for a while. BUt i can tell you they saved my neck!. I was racing and flipped over after hitting another guy and a hole, I rolled down the hill but at the same time a guy ran my leg over then another guy ran my head over. I got up in about a minute(had to catch my breath). But my neck didnt hurt at all like it normaly did when i wreck. So if your racing hard i say get one but for sleding get a donut!
x2 i had the same thing but on my bike hit the ground hard and nobody hit me but rolled for 15 20 feet but just had to catch my breath and was back riding again and it could have been a lot worse without it

T
Apr 6, 2008
OK, here is the real deal true information... Being a Factory Sponsored Sno-x Racer and Professional Backcountry rider, i swear by my leatt, i run the GPX Sport, the half carbon half composite edition...I contacted Leatt Corporate and worked out a sponsorship deal with them, and am now part of an elite group of extreme athletes testing and giving feedback on this great device. I would suggest you wear one if you consider yourself an "extremeist" or a "good rider"...Sliding down a chute 400 feet backwards could get a little scary, or even just high paced trail riding or jumping. My race team manager was paralyzed by falling off at 15 mph, so it doesnt take much...

BT16

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
i wear and sell them saved my neck as i endo my dirt bike and landed on my head neck felt great after, if i wasn't wearing one i wonder how bad i could have been.

never worn it on a sled yet
only problem is turning your head around to look at fellow riders i notice you have to turn more of your body but thats not really a problem

the $ is alot cheaper then a broken neck or a wheel chair :eek:

B
Nov 26, 2007
Its kind of like wearing a vest- after awhile you dont notice it there...Some people have trouble getting them to fit- those without much of a neck LOL

2fun4u

Feb 20, 2002
Mountain Home, ID
www.2coolairvents.com
I am so glad to see this post! My nephew was being a kid (14) and built his own jump - hit it on his dirt bike and cased the landing platform - threw him and he landed on the back of his neck. About $200,000 later, one life flight heli ride, 4 days in ICU, a neck fusion, 8 weeks of a neck brace and now 6-8 months off of the dirt bike - he walked away. Broke 2 vertebrae and shattered another. When he landed, he knew he was hurt and didn't move - doctor told him if he had he wouldn't have walked out of the hospital.

He needs a neck brace if he is going to continue to ride after this, and we are struggling with the type to get. Sounds like the Leatt is what he needs.

I am starting to think for sledding in the trees and mountains like we do, it's not a bad idea for us either.

Thank you for your experience!

:) 2fun

Last edited:

raceu4it

Lifetime Membership
glad to see the great feedback, and i will be sporting a leatt this winter as i still love a good rat ride, and still get bucked, throwed, and stomped, back in the hills, just ask my good buddies in revy, when they say not again. 8 more week ends till the fun starts again.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
great info.

Anyone have insight on the EVS collar? Looked at a Leatt, but the EVS is signifigantly cheaper.....

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I just zip my jacket up all the way and it fits fine with a tech vest or a back pack..... PM me and I will take pictures of it on over my jacket and send them to you.......
As far as if you should wear one sledding or not. I would say 210% yes! You never know what kind of situation you will get into whether you are riding crazy back country or just cruising on the trails it will save your a$$ if something ever happens.... Don't listen to flyin snow. The donuts don't do crap they are made out of soft foam and if you hit hard enough to need the neck brace to do something all the foam does is collapse down and gives NO SUPPORT!

So they will work with a Tek-Vest??
Even with the SX Pro Lite?

I believe it will work..... Almost positive. If you want to make 110% sure go down to a local shop that stocks them and take your tech vest with you. If the local shop doesn't stock them (which most do now) then go to the nearest mx track I guarantee there will be plenty of guys wearing them there....

As far as the EVS one goes I would say NO!!! It is more a glorified neck donut than an actual brace. I didn't like the way is felt on me and it didn't seem to have near the protection of the Leatt or Alpinestars braces.

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
Great topic

after seeing these recently and most moto x guys are wearing them, thought would be good investment for sledding, it seems that i go for tumbles more often now, and the last one kinda hurt do the stick man cartwheel at silent pass. so on the sport leatt the only difference is the carbon fibre upgrade on the expensive one? okay feedback time.
Hey raceu4it-Tumbles is my nickname! :eek:

I've been wondering about neck braces too. I broke my C6-7 vertabrae on New Years Eve (snowmobiling). Finally feeling like a real person again & happy to be walking around & not paralyzed. Good info here. Seems like a lot $$$ ...but I guess $$$ not a factor when you are talking about being a quadrapelgic if something bad happened!
Tumblina

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
great info.

Anyone have insight on the EVS collar? Looked at a Leatt, but the EVS is signifigantly cheaper.....

i seen and talked to a few people who had the evs neck brace and it looked cheesy and the owners of the brace were not happy,

you can still move your head forward and back very far and can still push your head down a ways so pretty much looked like it didnt' do it's job,

if your waiting on price leatt has a $199 brace coming out soon that should be a pretty good brace not as adjustable but still should be good.

if anyone has any more questions you can pm me or your looking for one pm me also

T
Apr 6, 2008
the leatt will fit in the tek vest....tuck the ears of the leatt in the sides, the spinal piece down the back and leave the front piece outside of the tekvest...if you are riding with a jacket, it can be placed over top of that as well...

Premium Features