• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SKI DOO OIL TANK CAP... A $14.99 alternative

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Y

yankeeslover

Dec 11, 2014
Does a duck bill valve

provide constant air flow while the sled is running? meaning will the valve be open while its running? and what happens when oil gets splashed up on it? should it still open?

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
According to this photo..the Doo cap uses a super simple Duckbill-Valve ...

So I see it working very well to vent at very low vacuum and not when rolled over. Time will tell. But it sure is an easy alternative and cheap to buy..Certainly will not be any worse than what is on there.

The only problems I could see is if the valve is not compatible with the oil you are using OR dirt gets sucked into the valve...Both unlikely.

Snomow pic
attachment.php

duckbill-expla.jpg

I did a suck test on the new cap. Takes a little more suction to open then what I would think to be optimal. Much more restrictive venting then the original cap is when the stock cap is operating like it should.

Y

yankeeslover

Dec 11, 2014
Interesting test Snowman

maybe this cap is not the answer.. you dont want it anymore restrictive then the POO oem one.. I think maybe the cap from PAASSO is the way to go????

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I did a suck test on the new cap. Takes a little more suction to open then what I would think to be optimal. Much more restrictive venting then the original cap is when the stock cap is operating like it should.

Did you test with a mighty vac. When I did the test it didn't leave the "zero" zone. If you hammered the mighty vac it would climb about half way into the "zero" zone. That tells me it succumbs to minimum vacuum. The mighty vac will test more cc of air volume in one stroke than the oil pump can ever put out in oil capacity.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
maybe this cap is not the answer.. you dont want it anymore restrictive then the POO oem one.. I think maybe the cap from PAASSO is the way to go????

Maybe there is nothing wrong with the stock PI oil cap? Can anyone do a vac test on the other "offers" out there?

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Finally some guys questioning this possible solution! Guys put your credit cards back in your pockets and think about this for a minute. Even a bench test with a vac pump does not simulate real world conditions. I’m skeptical that the Doo design is any better than the Polaris design. Remember Doo has used separate oil tank vents for years. There could have been a run of bad Polaris caps, but I’m not convinced the Doo design is going to be any more reliable in actual use than the Polaris cap.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
This may be a good solution to a POSSIBLE problem. What amazes me is how quick guys will accept something like this. I have yet to see a post on this thread that shows how the Doo cap works better, more reliably than the Polaris cap. I guess proof of a problem and proof of a solution isn’t required before a guy will buy 5 or 10 of theses. Amazing! I need to come up with something like this to sell. It would be easy to make a buck for sure! LOL

I think I will start watching the Doo forums for a while. There could be a run on Doo oil cap sales noticed, and some one will deduce that Doo has a cap problem and many are replacing them. If that occurs I will jump in and let them know that the Polaris cap fits well and is a winner!
The internet is so much fun! LOL

I ordered 2 after reading this. Only a few guys on SW I trust and TRS is one of them and it's not like he's making a profit on any of his suggested upgrades.
Simple test for you. Take a Poo cap and blow it (lol) and you'll find it'll only vents level or close to it. With the design of the Doo cap it will vent no matter the position. I don't know for sure if the Poo cap is a problem but for $15 I'm not taking a chance.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
I don't know TRS, don't need to know him. My comments are not about him or how smart he may be. I'm just trying to get guys to think for just a minute.
I'm not against trying things but I like to know I'm really doing something. I have about 2K on my 12 PRO. I just added a separate oil tank vent so I could see if there was any difference in oil consumption which would indicate a cap venting problem. I doubt I will see a change, but at least I will know one way or the other if this is a real issue.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
This may be a good solution to a POSSIBLE problem. What amazes me is how quick guys will accept something like this. I have yet to see a post on this thread that shows how the Doo cap works better, more reliably than the Polaris cap. I guess proof of a problem and proof of a solution isn’t required before a guy will buy 5 or 10 of theses. Amazing! I need to come up with something like this to sell. It would be easy to make a buck for sure! LOL

I think I will start watching the Doo forums for a while. There could be a run on Doo oil cap sales noticed, and some one will deduce that Doo has a cap problem and many are replacing them. If that occurs I will jump in and let them know that the Polaris cap fits well and is a winner!
The internet is so much fun! LOL

Finally some guys questioning this possible solution! Guys put your credit cards back in your pockets and think about this for a minute. Even a bench test with a vac pump does not simulate real world conditions. I’m skeptical that the Doo design is any better than the Polaris design. Remember Doo has used separate oil tank vents for years. There could have been a run of bad Polaris caps, but I’m not convinced the Doo design is going to be any more reliable in actual use than the Polaris cap.

I can't fault anyone for being skeptical whether this will be permanent solution but I do have to ask, are you under the impression that the OP is profiting from passing on this oil cap mod info?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I don't know TRS, don't need to know him. My comments are not about him or how smart he may be. I'm just trying to get guys to think for just a minute.
I'm not against trying things but I like to know I'm really doing something. I have about 2K on my 12 PRO. I just added a separate oil tank vent so I could see if there was any difference in oil consumption which would indicate a cap venting problem. I doubt I will see a change, but at least I will know one way or the other if this is a real issue.

With all due respect, I understand where you are coming from. Did you build your own vent system or did you purchase one? If you purchased one I'll bet this is a more reasonable/sanitary offering to test your stated concern/question with the stock cap.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
With all due respect, I understand where you are coming from. Did you build your own vent system or did you purchase one? If you purchased one I'll bet this is a more reasonable/sanitary offering to test your stated concern/question with the stock cap.

And, if you don't like it, it's fully reversible to stock Polaris form in a matter of seconds. Pretty easy decision for me.

The fact that it vents no matter what the attitude of the sled/tank happens to be is enough for me. Time will tell.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon

I made my own with the parts used on another Polaris model. I will know if the cap vents or not.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
And, if you don't like it, it's fully reversible to stock Polaris form in a matter of seconds. Pretty easy decision for me.

The fact that it vents no matter what the attitude of the sled/tank happens to be is enough for me. Time will tell.

And you know that it vents no matter the attitude of the sled/tank because you have tested it on a Polaris sled in the snow? You know that the Polaris pump flow rate is the same or less than the Doo pump flow rate etc. There are many variables.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon

IMHO if you want to know if your stock cap is not venting properly add a separate vent and leave your stock cap in place. If you see a difference in oil usage then your cap is the issue. I have yet to see any evidence that the Doo cap is a better design for a Polaris oil injection system than a Polaris oil cap. So far guys suck on it, or use a vac pump... no oil is in the equation. The cap is not on an angle like it is on a Polaris oil tank. This so far, is speculation. I have decided there is a great sales opportunity for guys selling stuff to sledders. They will spend around $20.00 for "peace of mind" no proof of an issue needed!

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Did you test with a mighty vac. When I did the test it didn't leave the "zero" zone. If you hammered the mighty vac it would climb about half way into the "zero" zone. That tells me it succumbs to minimum vacuum. The mighty vac will test more cc of air volume in one stroke than the oil pump can ever put out in oil capacity.

No might vac. I was using my lips and lungs. Lol. No numbers to reference with. Just a first impression compared to the stock cap when it's venting.

I think oregonsledder might have been the polaris engineer behind the stock cap. Some people just can't let go!!

Ha.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
IMHO if you want to know if your stock cap is not venting properly add a separate vent and leave your stock cap in place. If you see a difference in oil usage then your cap is the issue. I have yet to see any evidence that the Doo cap is a better design for a Polaris oil injection system than a Polaris oil cap. So far guys suck on it, or use a vac pump... no oil is in the equation. The cap is not on an angle like it is on a Polaris oil tank. This so far, is speculation. I have decided there is a great sales opportunity for guys selling stuff to sledders. They will spend around $20.00 for "peace of mind" no proof of an issue needed!

If you would take a min. And look at the pics and info about the doo cap. You would see that it doesn't matter what Angle the doo cap is mounted, it's unaffected by movement UNLIKE the polaris cap. Have you not read the countless posts of people that have had failures due to no venting? All the posts about the air bubbles in the line? All the posts about no free flow to the pump with the cap installed? This isn't a new problem, just a new solution. Don't be mad you already drilled a hole in your tank.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
If you would take a min. And look at the pics and info about the doo cap. You would see that it doesn't matter what Angle the doo cap is mounted, it's unaffected by movement UNLIKE the polaris cap. Have you not read the countless posts of people that have had failures due to no venting? All the posts about the air bubbles in the line? All the posts about no free flow to the pump with the cap installed? This isn't a new problem, just a new solution. Don't be mad you already drilled a hole in your tank.

I operate a shop and see a lot of issues real and otherwise. I have no problem with an extra vent in my tank. Countless posts... yes I have read them and don't buy most of them. This is the same cap used by Polaris for years. As previously stated, there could have been some bad caps, but I doubt it. Most of my customers don't even know how much oil their PRO's use per gallon. I think this issue could have been a problem for a few, but like most forum issues, it takes on a life of it's own, and there are many guys who would be happy to buy the "magic beans" and would think that anyone who didn't was not informed.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
If you don't like the Doo cap idea... Don't buy one!!! Move on. There are a few members on this forum with very good information. IMO TRS is one of those members. TRS. Thank you again for a great thread, please keep them coming.
Ordered a cap today.

Last edited:
Premium Features