• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Was thinking today might never come!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
6 months later.

Nytrocity is FINISHED.

All of the mods are DONE.

The sled is loaded in the trailer and we are headed to the mountains for the first test run.

Now lets see how all of these mods PERFORM in the real world!

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Great news!!! christopher. I am sure you will still need to tweak a few things with all the mods that you did this year but what a ride. I am waiting to here your report on that new front end and rear skid . Now that the firestorm seems to be dying down over the hiem joint issue, I am curious what your thought on the benenfits of the front end. Also had a conversation with someone about the KMOD skid. What i heard impressed me I was able to ride a AC in island park at the beginnning of the month and was really impressed with how it handled. I might be haeded that way if i dont here moe good reports on the new front end.

Please!!! let us know the good, the bad, and the ugly on the concept front end and that rear skid of yours.

Ride on the safe side of that perverbal edge

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Chris, i thought your sled was to nice to leave your garage. You sure you want to put her in the snow? Should be one NICE ride. Let us know how the S/C and everything performs.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got back.
Was able to ride for 3 hours or so late this afternoon up on the "Rexburg Bench"

MUCH to my surprise the sled had almost NO significant issues at all.!
I was really expecting something to fail.
Maybe being so dang anal about everything paid off.

I will of course post more details on each of these in each of the specific threads about that Mod.

#1.
Changing the clutch made a huge difference.
Dang, had I known what a difference that would make I would have done that two years ago.
All the extra weight makes it engage SO MUCH MORE SMOOTHLY.
Stock it wouldn't do anything till you hit several thousand RPM.
Now its perfectly linear.
I instantly fell in love with that.

#2.
The Yamaheaters are GREAT!
Jeez, even at idle there is LOADS OF HEAT to the hand grips.
I was able to put SOAKING wet frozen gloves on the grips and have them chase my hands off! These things are awesome.

#3.
The Trail Tank worked out just fine.
Need to find something better than the thumb screws though.
They are just NOT user friendly in the snow.
But the tank is a great solution for riding a Nytro with boost and burning extra fuel.

#4.

The new module for the Jacobson Rollover valve worked with no apparent issues. Plugged it in replacing the old one, and it appears to have worked perfectly.

#5.
The KMOD.
Honestly can't say yet.
I spent most of the afternoon ON BADLY worn trails.
Only ventured off the trail once, and got badly stuck three times in the course of a few hundred feet.
Will have to hold my thoughts on this till I get a chance to head up to Island Park and really let the sled run in the wide open.
Functionally it had NO issues at all though.
Ride was harsh on the stutter bumps at low speed <30mph.
But got smoother with higher speed.
I think this is just a matter of getting it tuned for my personal riding style.

#6.
MPI Supercharger.
We took out another brand new Arctic Cat Turbo F1100.
So I had the chance to go back and forth between sleds.

I ABSOLUTELY prefer the supercharger to the turbo.
Beats the heck out of me why anyone would prefer the turbo.

The supercharger is just like having a larger displacement 4 cylinder engine.
The power is utterly SMOOTH, Totally PREDICTABLE and always there.
It's LINEAR, and I just love it.

The supercharger performed perfectly. No issues at all.
Without being on a BIG OPEN MOUNTAINSIDE, I really did not have a chance to open her up and see what she is capable of. That will happen on Saturday.

But..
I am going to have to learn even better Thumb/Throttle control.
There is not much room for error on accidentally hitting the throttle.
When you do, the power is INSTANTLY there, there is ZERO DELAY.
The boost doesn't suddenly come on and hit you after a moment or two like the turbo. Nor does it "Surge" as it spools up.

#7.
The new Oil Tank was great.
Not much to say, it worked, it fit and it caused me no problems.
Pretty much exactly what I was expecting!

#8.
Skinz Concept A-Arms.
Oh-Baby.
Just as I remembered from last spring.
The sled is SO MUCH MORE NIMBLE now.
Its is a piece of cake to lay over.
So much so I managed to roll it the first time I tried to lay it over.
This will take some time to "re-learn" how the sled behaves.
But it responds MUCH easier to input and is much more willing to do what you ask it.

#9.
Side Cut on the Gen III Skis
Hard to say if this made a significant impact because of the new front end. But I sure didn't see any negative to it. I suspect, but can't confirm, that the combination of the Concept A-Arms and the Side Cut Gen III Skies make the sled handle like never before!

The Yamaha Ascent Track
Like the KMOD suspension I really can't say much about this yet.
Need to get it off the trail and into the open meadows.
All I know is that it creates a SNOWSTORM behind me.
2nd rider needs to be 100ft plus back to not get blasted.

#11.
Zero Gravity Battery.
Was NOT able to test the battery in COLD weather conditions.
Doubt the battery ever even got close to freezing coming out of a trailer and having a hot engine next to it.
Worked great, but need to get it down to ZERO to begin testing it for real.

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I am heading out for the first real ride on Wednesday and I expect it will be very awesome. It has been fun to follow all of your mods and see what you have done to the sled. Can't wait to hear how it performs in real snow.

I find it interesting that a lot of people are saying how the Ascent track leaves quite the trail. As long as you are not following all is good right?

mountain man

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Craigmont, ID
Ascent track

Glad your finally on your sled. My opinion of the ascent track is mixed. Deep dry powder it trenches like a mother!!!! But in more set up or firmer snow it hooks up pretty good. Would like to here some other feed back.

N

nytro circus

Dec 29, 2009
Clarkston,Wa
X2 on the track everybody I ride with wants me to get a larger snow flap, glad everything went well Christopher, I loved the sc smoothness to till I rode the mcx 270 it's addictive.

Enjoy

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Glad your finally on your sled. My opinion of the ascent track is mixed. Deep dry powder it trenches like a mother!!!! But in more set up or firmer snow it hooks up pretty good. Would like to here some other feed back.
Interesting you should say that.
Yesterday I got stuck "Bad" three times do to DEEP Trenching is Deep Dry Powder snow.

I chalked it up to some unusual snow conditions where we have about 2ft of fresh on a slab base that sits on another 2-3ft of uncompacted snow.

Every time I broke through that slab, the sled would trench way down and have to be dug out.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This Saturday will be the first "Real" ride.
Will take the sled up to Island Park and see how it runs in the mountains.
Now that I am pretty sure its NOT going to die on me I am willing to go ring it out a bit and get a real feel for it's new performance.

Want to see how the KMOD Suspension performs and just how much that new MPI Supercharger has added to its abilities!!

Premium Features