• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Under tunnel exhaust and tunnel icing issues

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I have an under tunnel setup on my Nytro. Took it for the first ride yesterday and had some serious buildup of snow on the inside of the tunnel. Has anyone experienced this also with their under tunnel setup. At one point near the end of the ride there was about four inches of snow sticking to the rear part of the tunnel.

Just wondering if there is something that I can do to help with this or not. The tunnel is powdercoated which seems to help snow build up everywhere else.

One thing that would help would be a rear tunnel cooler. I have been thinking of putting a U-cooler there in the back and getting rid of the radiator. I think it would cool better a lot of the time and also get more weight off of the front end and to the back which we all know needs to happen to these sleds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
One thing that would help would be a rear tunnel cooler. I have been thinking of putting a U-cooler there in the back and getting rid of the radiator. I think it would cool better a lot of the time and also get more weight off of the front end and to the back which we all know needs to happen to these sleds.

That would be the best idea. The biggest reason for snow collection is the lack of a cooler IMO.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
So Wilmot did you have the undertunnel without the coolers there? Just wondering if you had the issue before or not. No issues with the snow building up between the coolers at all. I ask only because mine was built up pretty close around the stock tunnel cooler. Just wondering if you have that issue at all.

S

Swelly

I have issues with ice build up on my under tunnel. Honestly do not remember compared to the stock version. I carry a plastic mallet(tent stake mallet 8 bucks a sporting good store) and beat on the tunnel and running boards to break the stuff loose.

My sons is bone stock, so on our break in ride this weekend, will do a comparison.

T

TonyG

Feb 21, 2010
Haines Alaska
I have an apex mtx with an under tunnel exhaust and it builds up like yours does. I have a mountain mod seat and I was going to extend the exhaust and run it up thru the tunnel behind the seat, which would also take care of back pressure choking the engine in the deep stuff. Just need to find time to do it.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
So Wilmot did you have the undertunnel without the coolers there? Just wondering if you had the issue before or not. No issues with the snow building up between the coolers at all. I ask only because mine was built up pretty close around the stock tunnel cooler. Just wondering if you have that issue at all.

I installed tunnel coolers at the same time as exhaust. The only place that snow is building on my tunnel is the very back. Way better than stock.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Ok so what are my options out there. I know about the MPI cooler, but I was thinking of maybe just doing a u-cooler in the rear. I have looked around a little but not really found anything yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I had an excell undertunnel with mountain mod seat, never had the bogging issue, would run that setup again in a heartbeat. As for the snowbuild up issue, you can spend cash for a undertunnel cooler that isn't needed for stock engine. All I did was give the top of tunnel a quick thump every so often and it would drop the snow, in between thumps there wasn't enough snowbuild up to hinder my riding whatsoever

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I installed the Skinz Under Tunnel exhaust system a couple years ago.
Have had NO ice buildup on the tunnel.
BUT..
I saw some serious ice build up on my Billet wheels I installed as the upper track support wheels. But the tunnel itself always stayed VERY clear of snow and ice.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I installed the Skinz Under Tunnel exhaust system a couple years ago.
Have had NO ice buildup on the tunnel.
BUT..
I saw some serious ice build up on my Billet wheels I installed as the upper track support wheels. But the tunnel itself always stayed VERY clear of snow and ice.

Yeah, I remember you having that problem but the funny thing is my OFT upper idler wheels were completely free of snow. Just the tunnel was having issues. Not sure what to think.

Premium Features