• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Cold Weather Starts

T
Dec 7, 2007
My 2008 Nytro (stock) is having starting issues in cold weather. The sled simply won't turn over on the cold mornings. After putting a heat lamp on the crankcase for about 1/2 hour, that seems to do the trick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Thumper

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Pull the battery and keep it inside. If that is not an option put a tender or charger.

Thin oil helps as does a fully charged battery. Have you replaced your battery yet?

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
try the starter relay they are in the front oiltank side(under the hood) by the sub frame should be 4 little relays. mine did this and the dealer gave me a new relay that was better sealed and you will need a new holder for it.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Centennial CO
The batteries last about two years, maybe three if you keep a trickle charge on them on the off season. Otherwise lower than -10 your not gonna start it with an old battery. New battery mine starts at -20, with OEM oil, I have heard as low as -30.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I have a buddy with a similar problem on his Phazer. Coolant heater and the problem was solved for him. Two weeks ago with lows overnight around -35f and it fired right up in the morning as if it was 20 above (it was still -22).

T
Dec 7, 2007
Cold starts

Thanks guys, for all the great info. The battery is stock so I will start there, I'll be needing one anyway. If that doesn't work I'll try the relay. I am currently using a full synthetic. Can't remember the weight, so I'll check when I get back to the shop.

Thanks Again
Thumper

S
Feb 16, 2011
Hi there

i had the same thing happen to my 2008 MTX Nytro today, would not start in cold weather,,, evenually the starter relay clicked but no go, kept pulsing the key, vented the tank and the thing started..... road for the day,, the returned to the truck.

then loaded in the truck again and drove home, tried starting it again in the truck...no go. pulled it off the truck and in the heated garage left it for 15 minutes, turned the key and it started first try !!

what are your suggestions or thoughts ?? seems you had similar problem...

Thanks
dwight

S
Oct 26, 2011
started my 08 last year at -40c and didnt fire the first time but fired the secound never changed the battery and just went to the thinner oil this year hope i will get a nice start this year

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Hi there

i had the same thing happen to my 2008 MTX Nytro today, would not start in cold weather,,, evenually the starter relay clicked but no go, kept pulsing the key, vented the tank and the thing started..... road for the day,, the returned to the truck.

then loaded in the truck again and drove home, tried starting it again in the truck...no go. pulled it off the truck and in the heated garage left it for 15 minutes, turned the key and it started first try !!

what are your suggestions or thoughts ?? seems you had similar problem...

Thanks
dwight

Dwight

The starter relay (solenoid) tends to get moisture inside and freeze/corrode.
Replace the relay (its the big one that the battery cable goes to and has two fuses on top of it) and adding some die-electric compound to the terminals usually fixes the problem.
The die-electric compound helps repel water and prevent the problem from happening again.

Bill

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
Does anyone have the part # for a replacement relay. I am guessing that everyone is just getting one from a auto parts store.
Thanks in advance.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Does anyone have the part # for a replacement relay. I am guessing that everyone is just getting one from a auto parts store.
Thanks in advance.

Part # is 3EL-81940-02-00 It's called a relay, but I consider it a starter solenoid due to it's size. It's bigger then the black plastic relays most people think of when they hear the term "relay".

X2 usually only $30 to $40 from Yamaha

Last edited:
P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
had the exact same thing happen to me after switching to a new wiring harness . a new starter solenoid and my nytros back in action . its a common problem , i ride with a dealer that carries a few spares in his trailer . there's also a relay up front on the sub frame that's been updated . its the second one out from the motor . just try to start your sled and if you cant feel it click that's your problem

Premium Features